"Server not found" on OSX 14.5 with LOCAL SERVER

Intermittently Roon decides that it can’t find the server, when the server is actually the local host.

A restart of the system resolves it, but without a reboot if the server loses itself, restarting Roon does not resolve, only a restart seems to.

OSX 14.5

Dan,

To start troubleshooting, what do you see in the menu bar?

It should look like this:

Screenshot 2024-06-20 at 16.12.36

Sure is.

It’s been doing this on and off for about 2 months.

Also music streaming from Qobuz will randomly halt, and the sometimes won’t restart. I’m on a LAN not wifi so it’s not that…

Hi @Dan_Clark,
Thanks for your report on this issue. It sounds like either RAATServer or RoonServer is crashing while Roon’s GUI is continuing to function. Let’s try a refresh on your server by following the below steps.

• Create a Backup of your current database
  • Exit out of Roon
  • Navigate to your Roon Database Location
  • Find the folder that says “Roon Server”, “RAATServer” and “Roon”
  • Rename the “Roon” folder to “RoonServer_old”, “RAATServer_old”, and “Roon_old”
  • Reinstall the Roon App from our Downloads Page to generate a new Roon folder
  • Verify if the issue persists on a fresh database before restoring the backup
    If the issue returns please note the date and time and let us know so we can investigate further.

Well this was weird. I renamed the old folders and downloaded to reinstall, on reinstall it asks me if I want to connect to a Mac mini at 127.0.0.1, which is not a valid network address, our network is 192.x.x.x, my IP on this Mac mini is 192.168.50.246.

If I select “setup a Roon server on this Mac” it hangs and never completes setup. If I select the server at 127 it instantly connects and the database and contents appear to be identical to my prior local install.

I can’t find a second installation somewhere on this Mac, and the odd IP address has me mystified.

I’m up and running using the 127 server at the moment and haven’t had enough time pass to be sure it’s stable, but I’m concerned because I have no idea where this “server” is resolving to or why I have a server at an IP address that doesn’t exist on my LAN.

Dan,

That IP address - 127.0.0.1 - is what’s known as the ‘loopback’ address; it’s the way in which a computer refers to… ‘itself’!

Also known as ‘localhost’ - as opposed to any address on your local network, 192.168’ etc

A server running on your Mac mini can be ‘reached at’ 127.0.0.1

It isn’t really a full network address which can be reached as such by other devices on a network.

So you’re right to say that 127.0.0.1 not a conventional network address.

But - subject to confirmation (e.g. from @daniel)- it looks as though your installation is working as it should be.

Your Roon server is located at /Applications/Roon/Roon.app/Contents/RoonServer.app. But this is normally transparent to the user, and does not normally need to be used. What is the Modification date of that object in your case?

1 Like

I agree with @Mark_Sealey if everything keeps working then you should be fine. I’ll keep this thread open for now in case this issue returns.

1 Like

We’ll see. In the past setting up a local server didn’t do this, if I recall correctly, so the weird part is it still shows the option to create a local server or choose the 127.x.x.x server. It’s like Roon doesn’t know it IS local already…

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.