Server Sleep and Wake on LAN

ROCK does support WOL, and I use it on my NUC based system. However, WOL also requires the BIOS and the network interface card to support it. Does your mini PC do that?
I wake my NUC/ROCK up with a 3rd party app (Wake On Lan for android). Works well.

Brian

Technically, it’s the hardware that supports WOL, the OS has no idea. I believe just about every PC has supported WOL made in the past 10+ years.

Does ROCK have any sleep or low power states? WOL client incorporated into Roon client would be very convenient.

Hi Brian,
Please correct me if I am wrong. As far as I can tell ROCK only has two possible states: ON or OFF. Can the NUC’s Bios be set to have the unit turned ON from the OFF state using a 3rd party WOL tablet app?
TIA

As far as NUC/ROCK goes I think the answer is yes. There are some options in the BIOS concerning WOL but I never altered them. I turn the NUC off either by pressing the front button or via the ROCK web page. Either way the front light turns orange viz blue and it goes to sleep. I obviously leave it plugged in. Also it has to be wired, not wifi.
Again, ROCK is only part of the equation, the BIOS and NIC have to support it.

I just downloaded Wake on LAN for Android. Drag down to search, bookmarked and closed. Opened browser to shut ROCK down. Then launched WOL and hit the wake button and my NUC fired up! Took all of a minute to sort out. My bios is as per ROCK install guides so unless people have gone in and disabled WOL it is easy to do.

1 Like

Recently purchased a Naim Uniti Atom. Works perfectly with Roon. When I start the Naim app, the Uniti Atom turns on automatically. Wouldn’t it be beautiful if my MAC Mini turns on when I start the Roon app?

Still hoping that one day…

4 Likes

Late to the discussion here, but I’m considering a switch to Roon from my current JRiver/JRemote setup.
Has Wake on LAN been implemented in the client app yet (iOS)? I’m kind of surprised about the amount of discussion about this for what seems like a really simple thing. My JRemote has been sending wake on lan packets automatically for years and I really never gave it a second thought. Works perfectly. When the server/core is sleeping, launching JRemote automatically wakes it up. Whatever JRiver did, there was absolutely no configuration for wake on lan required by me. It just worked.
Not sure why this would to be such a problem to implement in the Roon client app.
I’ve heard that Roon sounds better than JRiver which is why I’m considering the switch, but losing this kind of wake on lan functionality is not something I want to give up. It’s nice to have. I don’t always have easy access to the physical HTPC (like upstairs in bed for example) so it’s a really useful feature.

1 Like

I would really love to see Wake on LAN implemented as well. 10W might not sound a lot, but it quickly adds up when running 24/7, especially at European prices.

2 Likes

For me, it’s that I generally don’t like to leave connected devices open and exposed to possible malware attack for longer than necessary. A sleeping PC I suppose is less at risk than a fully awake PC. There may be times for whatever reason I could go several weeks without listening to my music, so certainly good practice not to keep the PC fully awake.

In the meantime, I’ve installed a WOL iPhone app that does the job. But it seems it would be a really simple thing for Roon to natively include in their client apps as well.

I’ve just done this with a WOL app to wake my core and NAS, but honestly it feels quite clunky that Roon can’t just send WOL to the IP/MAC of the core/store itself.

3 Likes

I have had the same experience as CraigK. JRiver implements WOL perfectly. I can not understand why Roon won’t do this. I’ve been asking for this for over two years. There are several utilities available that do this and no reason Roon could not incorporate this feature.

2 Likes

In fact, I was premature - WOL does indeed wake up my core and NAS OK, but now I’m having an issue where Roon is preventing the PC (core) from sleeping anyway. Very annoying.

ScreenMachine-James, I confirm this is the same exact issue I’m having. Seems there are two issues: 1. The need (desire) for Roon to implement WOL on its Control apps, and 2. A problem whereas Roon prevents PC from going back to sleep once accessed from a remote Control app. I’ve posted detail of my experience with the sleep issue under the separate thread Roon is preventing Windows from sleeping

Sounds like you and I have a similar setup and are experiencing similar issues.

WOL is a good idea.

1 Like

Several. Off the top of my head, suggestions about a “smart” replaygain type setting and addition of streaming radio stations (ability to add URLs).

10W = 10Wh per hour
10Wh * 24hours in a day = 240Wh
240Wh * 30days in a month = 7200Wh, or 7.2kWh

Let’s take the worst case situation, and assume you pay for electricity in Denmark, which has the highest price – a rate of €0.31 per kWh (wow that’s high!).

7.2kWh * €0.31 = €2.23

Sorry, but it doesn’t quickly add up.

Ok, I get it. You can’t implement WOL. Thanks for considering…

It can be implemented, but not in a way that we’d be happy with the experience. We do not want to encourage that.

You have a workaround by using WoL apps, and Nucleus does support it if you chose to go down that road.

2 Likes

It’s not about the price for me, but the useless power consumption. I think it’s a big design mistake. If there was an alternative for Roon this was the reason to leave. It’s like you guys living in the dark ages when it’s coming to energy consumption.

3 Likes

I agree, I think it’s a bit defeatist just to say people wouldn’t be happy with the experience when you’re in control of crafting it so that they are, but perhaps there’s some fundamental reason why not?

• Server: “I’m not playing music, or anything, I’ll go to sleep.”
  • Control point: “hey server, wake up, I want to hear music.”

It seems so easy :grinning:

3 Likes