Server Sleep and Wake on LAN

Don’t let your mini fall asleep, or if you really must – use a (free) Wake-on-LAN app:

iOS: https://appsto.re/nl/JZU_s.i
OS X (or should I say macOS already? ;-)): https://itunes.apple.com/nl/app/wake-me/id662753364?l=en&mt=12

As for Roon support WOL: while sending out a magic packet isn’t exactly rocket science, with all the different networks (Wifi and extenders, anyone?) / endpoints around, things could turn into a support nightmare quickly. Even a simple table containing MAC-adresses of devices to be woken would need to be cached and updated on all different remotes in use.

1 Like

Why do people insist on trying to over complicate this? Most of people would be happy with the app just sending one magic packet directed at the Roon server.

The Squeezebox apps (Ipeng, Squeezepad) have been offering the feature for years. High time Roon lab did something to promote green use.

6 Likes

THX a lot René

Would be great, plus at least one connected NAS drive would be ideal. I don’t think it’s complicated even to support multiple devices. All you need’s their MAC addresses in most simple home network environments. I use a few tools and just send two wake ups for good luck - never fails but not half as convenient. If Roon wanted to be clever it could look ahead at your playlist, and if your NAS is offline trigger the wake up based on its wake-up duration. Even that’s petty trivial IMO. Outside of Roon I script mine to wake up before backups (2 min lead time). But there are lots of priorities - do I want this over EQ/Room Correction? No. Although it’s significantly simpler to implement than either of those.

A post was split to a new topic: Play sleep mode

Because we like to think about solutions to the inherent problem at hand, and not a solution to a single situation.

We’ve met about this feature multiple times and spent unknown hours discussing it… WoL provides such a bad user experience, and we are trying to fix that core bad experience in a way that doesn’t have us building a complicated WoL system.

We can solve it nicely in some simple cases (the one you state), but it’s unclear to me if that is the common case.

We’ll keep on thinking about something, but in the meanwhile, use a 3rd party WoL app that solves this problem for all use cases. Sorry guys! I know it’s not the answer you want to hear, but this is what it takes to make good software.

1 Like

WoL provides such a bad user experience,…

??? - but not with a third party app? Sorry, but I’m struggling to understand the logic here.

Anyway, no reply needed. I’m done with this thread

1 Like

I have a little free app on my iPhone that wakes my Windows 10 PC. Works great. I can get the name if anybody’s interested.

Just paid for my lifetime subscription and I love it so much!

WOL would be highly appreciated! My little Intel NUC is now running 24/7 with Windows 10. Letting hime sleep from time to time wouldn’t be bad :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @danny,

It seems Roon controller still doesn’t seem to be able to send a wake-on-lan package to Roon Core.

Did you really give up on this?

Having it would be great because today I am forced to keep my MacMini on the whole time.
Since I never know if my Core is sleeping your suggestion of using a 3rd party app forces me to:

1. Load Roon Controller
  2. If it can connect… load a WOL app an wake server
  3. Load Roon Controller again

This is so inconvenient.

Can you explain what’s the downside of silently sending a WOL package to the Core the first time a Controller tries to connect to it?

Thanks,Nuno

1 Like

Feature Requests don’t come with guaranteed developer response. We get to tell the devs what we want and why. They build the product. Occasionally they will poke their heads in and say that something is being picked up, less often they will say something is ruled out. More often they will take the Requests on board without ruling something in or out.

There are any number of WoL apps that can be configured to send a packet in a myriad of ways. Features to implement something in Roon that can be readily done outside Roon may not enjoy the same priority as things that only Roon can do.

If WoL arrangements are causing inconvenience, I’d suggest fixing them using existing tools external to Roon rather than continuing to suffer through any development and implementation period.

+1 for Wake-On-Lan & Server sleep

4 Likes

Hey everyone. Is it possible, maybe through some tinkering or workaround, to have Roon wake my PC core?

If I come home and open my app, I can’t connect to Roon unless I go over to my PC and wave the mouse. I know why this works this way, but has anyone found a way to wake the Core/Roon with the remote?

Thanks.

That’s why I have an always on NAS.

1 Like

Unfortunately Roon aren’t very green (no integrated WOL) and encourage a leave-it-on 24/7 mentality.

It depends what you are using for an endpoint. It’s easy to configure a Raspberry Pi to send a WOL command to your server. For my main Trinnov system, I have an a Pi whose sole job is to send a WOL command when the system starts and then shut itself down.

Edit: there are also numerous iOS and Android Apps that can be configured to send a WOL command. It’s just less convenient and less ‘other system user’ friendly.

Exactly this. Shame it’s needed for those who want to be green.

On iOS I’ve used the SimpleWOL App, but I’m sure there’s not much between any of them as long as it works and you can save a client configuration

1 Like

Hi @Jeff_Ross,

I’ve moved your post and the replies into this existing feature request to add further weight to it.
The last comment from Roon was around seven months ago.

Is there a way for the app to wake up the server PC if it’s asleep?

I usually leave my server pc in sleep mode when not in use, it wakes up very fast, surprised the app will not do this is the core machine is sleeping. I’ve been using foobar + app for ages now and it always did this nicely.

Hi @Kevin_Hughes,

I’ve moved your post into this existing feature request to add further weight to it.
The last comment from Roon was around seven months ago.

Ok, I have come up with a work around for now using task scheduler.

So you have two power plans, one that is high performance that never sleeps and a power saver, that sleeps after 10 minutes.

You use the task scheduler to set the two states at the time you want them. Set the power saver to come on in the evening. This then puts the computer to sleep.

Run a task the next day, like /c "exit"to wake the computer, then at about the same time, set it to change to the high performance setting.

More info on how you change the power states here:

And info on waking from sleep can be found here:

I’ll let you know if it works!