Set "Radio" feature to "Off" by default

I’m not arguing against having a global toggle for it, but if turned off once, does it not then stay off between sessions until you actively turn it on again?

I think the issue people have is that you have to do so for each zone. Which makes sense to me, but, I can understand the desire for a global OFF switch.

1 Like

Yes, it stays off once set for each individual zone / device. But when you add a new device, it always defaults to “on”, which is just maddening.

Considering you get a “new” device each time you upgrade a DAC’s firmware, move the connection from one USB port to another, etc., it’s particularly annoying.

I din’t get why Roon is so “colorblind” on this issue - people have been complaining about it since (literally) Day One, and they simply refuse to change it sigh.

1 Like

I searched and did not find an official statement on the topic, so I don’t think you can assume anything.

OK - “failed to change it for 2+ years”.

1 Like

I agree, this is one of those settings that should be a global.

3 Likes

I’d prefer if users had an option to default Radio to off on all devices. I understand one of the arguments for default On is discovery. New users might not find Radio if it wasn’t defaulted on. This argument gives insufficient weight to the unsatisfactory reversions identified by John Walker above.

If a “default state” switch was initially set to On, then users would discover Radio but could then change the default and avoid it in future.

Sure - I’m OK with the initial state after installing Roon for the first time being “On” - but please give us the opportunity to turn it off completely in the settings if we don’t like it / want it :slight_smile:

1 Like

Came back as on now after the last update, so freaking irritating. I don´t remember where to turn it off. Sholuld be a button to disable forever!

1 Like

Have posted further down, but it goes back to on after each Roon update…

Edit
I was wrong, had to recreate the wasapi queue for my dac after the last windows update, and that made the radio go to on.
Nearly gave me a heartattac as I didn´t expect any more songs.
I would like a Disable radio on all devices in the setup menu!!

Annoying!

1 Like

I also want a default option for Radio.

Personally, I don’t think “on” should ever be the default for “radio”. It’s the principle of least annoyance.

Say I want some background music puttering the house on a Saturday. I thought I had set up “radio” but then the music stops after the first selection. At some point I have to interrupt what I was doing and go see what the problem is. That is slightly annoying.

Now say I’m sitting on the sofa listening to some heavenly performance of Beethoven’s last piano sonata, score in hand, intently following down to the last pianissimo chord, then something else comes on. That is extremely annoying.

I find myself doing the former activity more these days. It’s far better than shuffle play (which I never, ever use) for classical music because it respects movements of larger works and it’s fun to see what the algorithms come up with. (I imagine it also respects albums, but so far it hasn’t gone cross-genre on me) I can see the argument that if “radio” hadn’t been forced in my face at some point I may not have discovered it. But I still consider that the lesser bad.

If it’s going to turn itself back on every time you change an endpoint, do an update, or for some reason have to do a fresh install of something, that’s not a good thing. If people aren’t discovering it, just plug it more in the documentation and in these forums. I’m sure anyone interested will discover it eventually.

Not sure I understand what Tidal has to do with any of this. But I don’t subscribe so maybe I’m missing something.

Exactly. 100% agree.

Hi,

Very happy brand new customer of Roon here (after several years of Amarra frustration).

Is there any chance of having an option to remove/close/minimise the Radio box/section on the Queue screen?
Thanks

Why is there no global off function in Radio? Why does Roon always have to default to playing radio after an album ends? To make matters worse if a source is change or drops out and has to be re-added, the previously turned off radio function turns itself back on. I have no desire to have radio on and I would like a global off setting that basically keeps the radio from ever playing at the end of an album.

2 Likes

I never have Radio on, not sure how I achieved this…

Delete your source and then re-add it. Radio will be on by default. Once turned off it does not return to on unless a new source is added and then only on that added source is Radio turned on. It’s just an annoyance. If there was a global setting to never turn it on then there would be no issue.

2 Likes

Same here. :joy:

1 Like

And here. :sunglasses:

1 Like