Setting default volume

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

iMac, macOS 10.15.3, Roon Version 1.7

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Ethernet direct to streamer

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Matrix Audio element X => Quad QSP => Quad ESL 2905

Description Of Issue

In Roon’s Device Setup, I have configured my element X so that Volume Control is set to Device Volume. I have also set Volume Limits to Min -127.5, Max -7, and Comfort -20.

When I open Roon, the default volume is 0. If I were to play at that volume, it would likely blow my speakers. I would like to configure Roon so that the opening volume = Comfort volume, ie -20. Is there a way of doing so, and if so how?

Hello @Philip_Gibson,

The Matrix Audio Element X is not Roon Ready certified at this point in time, so we cannot speak to the device’s behavior in its current state.

Speaking in general terms for Roon Ready devices, it’s best to think of volume control in Roon as the IR remote for the device. The endpoint itself is responsible for controlling and reporting its volume to Roon, Roon simply sends the device volume commands based on user input. There is no way to configure a Roon Ready endpoint to maximize it’s volume when it is discovered, so I’m sure that it’s not Roon causing this “0db” volume state.

-John

Thanks for getting back to me, John. I’ve just updated my element X’s firmware and now the integration between Roon and the streamer seems much improved – volume no longer reset as before on shutdown/startup. I appreciate the support provided by you and your team.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.