Setting up a Roon ecosystem

@support, what am I doing wrong, or missing?

• I set up Roon core on a QNAP, this appears to have worked OK
  • I had previously set it up on a desktop, but the trial lapsed
  • After some messing around, I can see the NAS core from the desktop
  • Main endpoint I’d like to use is a NVIDIA Shield, but I’d also like to use a tablet periodically.
  • The Shield seems to “see” the old core…and sees the Shield mixer as an audio zone
  • The desktop seems to “see” the new core, and only shows the NAS’s audio outputs as zones
  • None of my tablet, phone, etc, can see any core at all, they just get stuck at the “Choose your Core” screen, and trying the remote libraries or configure roon OS options don’t do anything
  • Desktop and NAS are hardwired to home router
  • Other devices are connected to home network over Google wifi, which is connected to the home router by ethernet
  • I was, I recall, able to use a tablet as a remote/endpoint with the previous trial installation

How can I get it such that I can use, for example, a tablet as a remote or as an endpoint?

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Jason,
this feels like a network issue. Am I correct that Google Wifi is not your home router?
If this is correct, can you check if all devices (especially the ones connected by Google Wifi and the ones on the home router) have the same IP range?

In many cases the default IP range is 192.168.0.x (and only the last number, represented by the x, should be different on each device)

Hi @Jason_Gogal ----- Thank you for the report and sharing your feedback with us. The insight is appreciated! Sorry to hear of the troubles.

Moving forward, to “piggy back” on the suggestion made in @crieke’s post above (:thumbsup:), you can also try an app like FING to scan your network looking for devices that it can “see”, showing itself in the process.

Let us know how it goes!
-Eric

Thanks gents. @crieke @Eric All stuff on wifi has the 192 prefix.

Stuff on the router is 172. The OnHub from the screenshot below appears on the router table but with a b instead of a c at the end of the mac address.

Networking is kryptonite that I am muddling through…suggestions most welcome.

Can you specify what device your home router is (brand and model)?

As you can see from your screenshot, , the DHCP server in the Google Wifi device will give out IP addresses in the range 192.168.86.0/24 - and it’s not changeable. If your router has a DHCP server giving out addresses in the 192.168.172.x range, then this is a different address space. The two networks are totally separate.

@crieke Actiontec V1000H.

@Geoff_Coupe the router is giving out 172.x.x.x addresses.

Many thanks for your interest in helping me breathe life into the ecosystem.

You will need to setup Virtual IPs (your router may or may not support this and may call it something else) between subnets and allow TCP 9100-9200 and UDP 9003 between the subnets.

I think the best solution is to disable one of the two dhcp servers. I am currently studying the manual of the Actiontec V1000H.
It should also be possible to deactivate the DHCP server on the Google Wifi, but it is not recommended by Google…

@Jason_Gogal: Is it possible to connect all ethernet cables directly to the Google Wifi devices (maybe with a simple network hub/switch)?

As I think about it, this may not work because the OnHub does not have the QNAP or Desktop on its network and would not be able to see them unless it could see VLANs.

You may have to connect the QNAP and Desktop to the OnHub so they are all on the same network.

@crieke @Bathyteuthis

Ok both of you suggest the same thing.

I would have to do some gnarly switching to make that all happen, but I believe I could do it. I am pretty sure that I have enough switches.

Router to google wifi, google wifi to bitchin’ switch porcupine. Shall I give that a shot?

Sounds like a good idea (if it is doable).
If nothing else is connected to the ActionTec V1000H, you could also think about using this device only as a modem and establish the connection to the internet (VDSL2?) directly by Google Wifi.

I’d also recommend to save your config files from all involved devices on your computer, so you will be able to revert back easily to the current config.

This sounds kinda intimidating haha.

Is the other suggestion to plug the wifi modem into the fiber modem?

I can take a shot at the porcupine today.

Ahh, ok. If you also have a fiber modem, can you take out the ActionTec completely out of the equation?
(I have to admit I have no experience with fiber devices…)

Well, the actiontec gateway is doing all the ISP firewall stuff. I don’t know that I can go around it.

This used to work easier when i used the modem as a wifi, but it was a crappy wifi, so I got the google wifi.

So if I step back a bit, I should probably try funneling all traffic through the google modem via ethernet switches?

So, you currently have a fiber modem that is connected by ethernet with the ActionTec Router?
(Just wondering as the ActionTec is listed as a VDSL2 router/modem).

Yes it looks that way, but again networking is still kind of my kryptonite, so I might not be correctly representing the architecture.

Then my guess is that the ActionTec has nothing to do with your internet connection.
You could try it by connecting a computer directly to the fiber modem. Eventually you have to reboot the fiber modem if you connect a different device to it, as the fiber modem might lock to a specific Ethernet MAC address (this is also the case with my cable modem). If that works, I’d connect your fiber modem directly to the WAN port (the one that has the Globe icon) of your Google Fiber Base.
I currently see no reason to keep the ActionTek device in your network chain…

I think I got ‘er licked. At least for now.

I rerouted all the devices through the outbound port of the google wifi. Then I found that my NAS was bricked. So I plugged its second ethernet port into the router and made both of its ports static. Now everything that matters is on the 192 network and I can control the Shield endpoint running Roon from the NAS from my iphone. I assume it will also work from my tablet now.

What a gonzo daisy chain!

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 Like

BTW +1 on the request for the ten foot display. A full screen interface would be marvy.