Setting up laptop for control and output, having trouble connecting to core [Resolved, Windows Update]

Correct. The core is on the streamer. I was trying to set up the laptop to use as a Control and play music to the laptop from the core.

Perhaps I downloaded the wrong Roon software?

I downloaded the first one on this page (Roon…Windows 64 bit)

https://roonlabs.com/downloads.html

Ah, I see. That must explain the flakey behavior.

That laptop is running Windows 10, not exactly a lightweight OS. But it cannot run Roon remote adequately? You have to be kidding. Or there is something seriously wrong with the design of Roon.

AJ

I don’t think this is about machine performance. The N3700 isn’t a speed demon, but it’s faster than plenty of tablets that run Roon Remote just fine, and it’s new enough (2015) that it’s not likely to bring GPU limitations into play. This sounds like a networking issue to me.

2 Likes

Last night did a Windows update on the laptop.

Today Roon is working fine on it, except I get a message when I open Roon the the screen resolution is too small and gives me the option to select Maximize or Fullscreen (I chose Maximize… no particular reason).

1 Like

Screen size is often a limiter for older and lesser spec’d laptops. But if they can cope with the resolution then performance is normally OK for Remote operations.

Was my post from a couple days ago about the IP addresses of any help?

I saw this in another thread. Any chance this might be my issue?

[quote]Geoff_CoupeCommunity: KB Editor5h
Sounds like a graphics driver issue to me… There’s a known issue with Intel graphics hardware and drivers and the OpenGL library used by Roon’s UI. If you can’t get a version of the driver to work, try using the 32bit version of Roon on the desktop PC. That’s a workaround that is known to work.[/quote]

EDIT: The above may not matter at this point. I booted up the laptop to give it a try to see how it’s behaving today. So far Roon is working fine on it via wifi. Perhaps the Windows update fixed whatever was going on?