Setting up Mac backup with SonicOrbiter core

I have a related problem. My Core is a SonicOrbiter, and thus far, my Roon backups have been on DB. Like the others here, I too want to move my backups to iCloud, as I see no purpose in paying DB any longer.

I followed all the steps you mentioned here.

On my Mac, I did the following:

Roon – Settings — Backups
Add Network Share.
Copy pasted the smb network share location.

I got the following error message: There was an unexpected error: Invalid Network Path. I then pasted the IP address of my Mac. No dice.

I’d appreciate some help sorting this out please.

A quick apropos. I placed the IP address of my Mac in between “smb://” and “cms-mbp.lan/.”

This yielded the following error message: “Could not connect to share: Unauthorized.”

This appears closer. Any advise on how to get the requisite authorization please?

Hi @catman,

It sounds like you’re trying to set up a Mac network share, if that’s the case this guide should help.

Thanks for responding. As I mentioned in my first post on this topic, I did try these steps, but was given a prompt to the effect that the path is not correct. I carefully wrote down the error message. Would you please review that and give me a better sense in the context of what I am trying to do?

Here is the relevant information again for your convenience:

My Core is a SonicTransporter.

Thus far, my Roon backups have been on DB. (Like the others here, I too want to move my backups to iCloud, as I see no purpose in paying DB any longer.).

I followed all the steps you mentioned here.

On my Mac, I did the following:

Roon – Settings — Backups
Add Network Share.
Copy pasted the smb network share location.

I got the following error message:
“There was an unexpected error: Invalid Network Path.”

I then pasted the IP address of my Mac. No dice.

Next, I placed the IP address of my Mac in between “smb://” and “cms-mbp.lan/.”

This yielded the following error message: “Could not connect to share: Unauthorized.”

Please help!

Hi @catman,

I don’t quite understand what you are trying to achieve here. You are trying to save a backup of your SonicOrbiter Core on your Mac, and then have that uploaded to iCloud sync, correct?

These are not the only steps included in the guide, here is another link to it:
https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_How_do_I_create_a_shared_folder_on_Mac_and_add_it_as_a_watched_folder_in_Roon%3F

First you need to create a folder on your Mac and then share it via the Sharing Panel:

No. I am trying to have the Roon backups on iCloud, instead of DropBox. That is why I searched and found this thread, but alas, the recommendations do not work.

@catman - Roon does not have native integration with iCloud. You can set up a folder on the Mac that Roon backs up to and then have iCloud syncing that folder with your files in the cloud.

I understand. But my Roon Core is on the Sonic Orbiter. Therefore, Roon can’t find a folder on my Mac to back up to. This the problem that this thread attempted to solve. It appears to work for some people. Any chance of some help figuring out the last mile, please?

Hi @catman

Have you made sure to enter your username + password into the Network Share Dialog, exactly as it appears in the Sharing Tab? I would also try using your Mac email address.

If the issue is still the same after, you might have made a mistake in your Sharing Panel and not provided proper access:

You can share a screenshot of your Sharing Panel if you want.

I am quite sure I have – but perhaps I need more guidance. I am using File Sharing, following your screen sharing. Could you please clarify what you mean by ** Network Share Dialog**? Also, what do you mean by Mac email address please?

Hi @catman,

This is the Network Share Dialog:

You very likely have a mis-configuration there.

In the above screenshot, there’s user names to the right, for example “Greg Stratton”. In some cases when adding the share, instead of using the username, I have seen the need to input the email address as the username, e.g. greg@icould.com if the account was set up for email login.

Thanks Noris. This is what I thought. But where are usernames and passwords here please?

Hi @catman,

This should be the user and password you have set up when you login to your Mac, the login you use to get in from the lock screen.

Yes, this is exactly what I have been doing. No dice, alas.

I get the following error message:
“There was an unexpected error: Invalid Network Path.”

Hi @catman,

Can you please post some Screenshots of your Sharing Center and the IP/info you put into Roon?

Is there a private way to do this please?

Hi @catman,

You can click on my name -> message to start a private thread.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.