Setting Up My First Roon Audio System

I’m setting up my first audio system with the intent of primary music sources being streaming and ripped CDs via external hard drive.

As you will see in my question, I am quite naive to how things work.

If I buy a Roon Nucleus, Luxman DAC (DA-06), Luxman Amp (L-550 AXII), and speakers, will I have all I need or is there a role for something like a Bluesound Node 2i as some form of link between the Nucleus and the DAC?

Thank you for any thoughts.

The Roon Nucleus will run your Roon core. You just need to install the Roon app on your iPhone, iPad, or laptop to control Roon and your music.

Welcome to the forum, Dan!

Essentially, yes. You can feed the DAC directly from the Nucleus using a USB cable. You’ll need ethernet from your ISP router to the Nucleus. You could make use of a networked end-point instead of USB, but this isn’t essential; you don’t need the Bluesound Node.

If you do want a network bridge take a look at these that are used by members of this community. There are other options, but this should give you an idea of what is available.

• Metrum Ambre
  • Auralic Aries Femto
  • dCS Network Bridge

What is the purpose of a network bridge.

Ethernet in, usb or optical out.

So you can keep your server in a room far away from where you are listening.

Except with a Nucleus that would not be necessary, would it? At least, if you put an SSD in it.

I’m not sure what you are getting at, whether something or not is necessary is up to the individual user and their use case.

I do not keep my current RoonServer in any of my critical listening areas. Not because of any sound quality or noise issues, but, because I believe that a server which is servicing different endpoint locations should be centrally located in a networked environment. It limits the number of network hops that will occur; providing, imho, a snappier response time and limiting the points of failure in case troubleshooting is needed.

When I say not necessary, I’m talking about silent operation. Of course, it’s up to the user and his situation. Duh. Also, I doubt very seriously you are getting snappier response time based on where it is located. I think network hops would more depend on how it is wired, not where it is sitting. How do you know his router is not sitting close by? I also don’t see how adding a bridge would help if it’s not needed. That’s what I’m getting at.

A network connection can provide better noise isolation than a USB connection. Roon recommends having Core and Output on separate devices.

So, in my case, if I get a Nucleus, I should connect both Nucleus (core) and Oppo (end-point) using ethernet for each instead of HDMI between the Nucleus and Oppo?

I’d suggest trying both and seeing if you prefer one or the other. The influence on SQ here can be slight, depending on the particular devices and other elements in the system.

OK, thanks. First, I’ll try ethernet into the Nucleus, then HDMI to the Oppo. To do it the other way, I would need another ethernet switch.

Thank you all for your thoughts/insights. The discussion has been very helpful.

1 Like