Setting up Roon on a QNAP [Answered]

Hi - I have been using Roon for a while on mu iMac. I just bought a new QNAP NAS (TVS-682) and have installed Roon on it from the app centre on a SSD drive.
When I click on it, it gives me an option to try it for free, but does not give me the option to log in to my current account. I have deleted Roon from my iMac but am still being unable to login to my account on the QNAP. Still keeps giving me the “try for free” option and nothing else.

@support might get you an answer quicker

Can you post a screenshot of what you’re seeing @Vikram_Shahi?

@support - can you please help with my query.
Hi - I have been using Roon for a while on my iMac. I just bought a new QNAP NAS (TVS-682) and have installed Roon on it from the app centre on a SSD drive.
When I click on it, it gives me an option to try it for free, but does not give me the option to log in to my current account. I have deleted Roon from my iMac but am still being unable to login to my account on the QNAP. Still keeps giving me the “try for free” option and nothing else.

@Mike - at work now, so will post the screenshot later.

Hi @Vikram_Shahi,
The Try It Free Botton in the webpanel is a permanent button and is placed there for users who install RoonServer on the AppStore without knowing what Roon is. I tried to put links to all relevant Roon pages in the menu (like the Download links for your other devices, a link to this community forum, and the info page for RoonServer on NAS).
There is no point for a login in the qnap webpanel and the button is just meant as a quick link for non-Roon users who would like to give it a try.

When RoonServer is running without issues on your QNAP, there is also not much need to open the webpanel.

Hi Chris - Firstly I am not sure that Roon is running on my QNAP. I just bought the QNAP and set it up today. I then deleted Roon from my iMac (where it was installed earlier) and now want to run it on my QNAP. At the moment, I am unable to do either since I have deleted it from my iMac and it does not allow me to go past this initial screenshot on the QNAP

I mean…when I open Roon for the first time on my QNAP, should it not ask me for my user id etc et and then ask if I want to set it up as new or restore from my earlier database etc? It is doing none of those. Apologies upfront if I am sounding (and probably am) pretty ignorant

On QNAP there is only RoonServer available (≠ Roon).
RoonServer features only the Core and Output components of Roon, but no graphical user interface (you can read about it in the knowledgebase).
You can connect to your core by any device like iPhone/Android/Mac/PC that can run Roon and has the app installed.
The difference is, that if you install Roon your iMac again, you can click “Connect to remote Server” and your iMac is only used as a control for your (QNAP-)Core.*

*Should it pick up your old Roon database from that device again, you can go to Settings->General and click “Disconnect” and select the QNAP core in the next screen. Then you will be asked to login to authorize your new Core.

1 Like

Thanks Chris. I seem to have got it going. Many thanks for all your help

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 31 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.