Volume Limits set to zero = no sound [solved]

Hello Geoff,
I am sorry not to have replied to your post earlier. I have sorted out various network problems and the duplicate images have disappeared.

The one photo attached photo shows zone settings ad the other is device setup.

The remaining problem is that I still cannot extract any music. In the attached photo you can now see a single zone icon.

The second shot is device setup.

Best wishes,

Geoff

Hi @Geoff and @Geoff_Coupe: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’m going to back up and ask a more basic question to start with since this started with not being able to hear anything although something appears to be playing. I see in the Meridian setup that your volume limits are set to zero min and zero max. You’ve given volume control to the device, but the Volume limits override your selections once those limits are reached. In other words, it looks like you’ve told your Meridian speakers to never exceed zero volume. Try going back into your device setup and move that max volume to a higher number - I’d start with 50 or 100

Once we can make progress here, I may split this topic so we can address the library and files separately. Don’t want to do that prematurely though.

Hi @Geoff

Thanks for the update:

You are exactly right and some of the volume settings needed correction. After selecting the correct device I set appropriate levels and produced sound. It’s quite difficult to get audio levels correct when there are multiple versions of audio output devices in competition and apparently interacting.

I understand it’s confusing when you’re setting up a layered system of controls, but I may be able to clarify the structure so it’s easier to adjust next time.

Roon can take complete control of volume settings for each device and determine a balanced sound, even for multiple rooms. This means would override individual sound controls on each device. The advantage is that you can do everything from Roon and Roon remotes. The disadvantage is that you have to do everything from Roon and Roon remotes - individual volume controls on your device will be overridden.

Another option is to allow volume controls on your individual devices to have primary control. In this case, you also have the option to set up Roon to have a limit control: you can tell it not to go any softer than x, no louder than z, and establish a mid-range comfort level of y. That’s what was going on with your silent speakers.

This may help you visualize more easily how to establish volume levels as you like them. Once you decide where the daily volume control should lie, you can decide whether to implement a limiter that may prevent you from being launched right out of your chair when a new album starts.