Setup 2 different dacs/ 2 systems at home [Answered]

Hi , currently running a mytek dac via firewire input to my macbook / roon
Want to also use the macbook / roon on a new dac / system in a different room . it will be usb input .
Is this doable ? and if so switch back and forth with no headscratching ?

Regards Doug

Hi @douglas_dyer ---- Thank you for the PM, I have went ahead and made it a public post as we try to handle any Roon related question out on the community site so other users have access to any information being shared, should it be of use to them as well.

If I am understanding your question correctly the second system (i.e macbook + new DAC) can be used in the following ways…

With your Macbook + MYTEK DAC hosting Roon core

Option One: Load Roon Bridge onto the the other Macbook (make sure it is running), mount the new DAC to it via USB, locate the “audio zone” on the core machine, and you’re good to go.

Option Two: Load Roon onto the second Macbook, set it up to act as a roon remote, mount the new DAC to it via USB, and you should be good to go.

-Eric

Hi Eric. Yes I’m using a different MacBook as a remote currently
But I guess my question is when I physically unplug the MacBook from one dac / system and plug it into an additional system I have . Different dac etc. Can I still save the old setup for when I switch it back to it
Hope that makes sense

Hi @douglas_dyer ----- Thank you for follow up and the clarification. Both are appreciated!

Moving forward, the device (remote or core) that has a DAC mounted to it will remember the settings being used for that the device when the machine is in communication with the DAC. So if I have the following:

Configuration #1

Computer A (Core) + DAC #1

• While this DAC is mounted to this computer, the application will retain the settings being used for that device.

Computer B (Remote) + DAC #2

• While this DAC is mounted to this computer, the application will retain the settings being used for that device.

Configuration #2

Computer A (Core) + DAC #2

• The application is going to treat this as a “new” device, so it will be in a fresh state and the settings will need to be adjusted to your wishing. Once this action is performed these settings will be remembered WHEN the device is mounted to this computer.

Computer B (Remote) + DAC #2

• Same situation. The application is going to treat this as a “new” device, so it will be in a fresh state and the settings will need to be adjusted to your wishing. Once this action is performed these settings will be remembered/used WHEN the device is mounted to this computer.

So, in short, when you have defined the “settings” for your various configuration, the application will remember those settings when the given device is in communication with the specific machine. Hope this helps!

-Eric

Fantastic!!

Thxs very very much . Will do

Cheers !

This topic was automatically closed after 44 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.