Setup Fail - ModWright Oppo BDP-105D

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Roon Ver 1.6 build 416
Asus Strix B450I (mini-itx)
Ryzen 3400G
XPG SX6000 Pro 512GP NVMe
G.Skill Ripjaw 2x8 DDR4 PC4-25600 3200Mhz (F4-3200c16d-16VKB)
Noctua NH-L125
Seasonic Focus SGX-450
Windows 10

All drivers current
All OS updates current

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
HTPC connected to Netgear GS308v2 8port switch
Oppo BDP-105D connected to same switch.
The switch connects to Apple Airport Extreme (recently updated) then to a Linksys Cable Modem.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

ModWright OPPO BDP-105D via USB (Schiit PYST 1 Meter cable)
Tried USB 2.0 and 3.0 on PC. same result.

Description Of Issue
JRiver Media Center 25 works fine with CD’s ripped to FLAC - with High Rez Flacs from HD Tracks, and DSDs from several sources.
Tidal also works fine.

From a total power up (audio & pc)
after powering up system - I launch Roon - go to Setup-Audio and I see this:

By the time I close the snip tool I get this:

(and every time I’ve tried this - I get this screen for maybe 5-8 seconds) This screen only shows up after Resetting the DAC.
Before I can even really read the screen - it clears and leaves me with nothing.

Hi @Vince_Binder,

If you disable the firewall on the Core machine is there any change here?

Nope - The devices show up then disappear before I can even finish reading half the screen.

I went back and disabled all three: Domain, Private, Public - I’m not sure if the screen stayed up any longer but if it did it was only another second or two

I tried disabling the bottom 2 - screen disappeared. I close Roon, reopen - select Manage Audio Devices - and I’m right back where I was.

Thanks for giving that a try, @Vince_Binder.

Moving forward, please try the following — You can generate a new RAATServer instance on your device by following these instructions, but please be aware that this will reset your Roon Settings -> Audio Tab to factory settings and I would advise making a backup of any custom DSP settings you have:

  • Make a backup of your Roon database
  • Shut down Roon on this device
  • Navigate to your Roon’s Database Location:
  • Find the folder that says “RAATServer”
  • Rename the “RAATServer” folder to “RAATServer_old”
  • Restart the Roon App to generate a new RAATServer folder

Go and look to see if you have Nahimic services running. Disable them and you should see your devices.

See this thread:

We’ll it took some futzing but deleting RATTServer (I didn’t have anything to back up) and reinstalling the OPPO driver - seems to have done the job. At least until the next time I reboot - I have a nagging suspicion that will start this whole circus over again - I’ll know in a day or two.

Now begin evaluating the UI to see if it’s worth $500 I’ll have to do more digging - there’s a lot of stuff that isn’t meshing with what I’d been told in terms of capability.

Hello @Vince_Binder,

Please let us know how things go! My suspicion is that the OPPO driver was at fault here. If you end up getting back into this broken state we’d be happy to take a closer look at things on our end to ensure that everything is working as it should.

Happy listening :headphones:


This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.