Setup with sMS200ultra & DSDonly-DAC

@support
I have a DSDonly-DAC. I am considering the purchase of a SOtM sMS-200ultra. Can ROON be configured to bitstream DSD to the DSD-only DAC?

A second issue is: Can ROON, when attached to the sMS-200ultra, convert PCM files on-the-fly to DSD before bistreaming to the DSD-only DAC?

Which one? I would verify that your DAC is on the SOtM sMS-200ultra list of which DACs for which it has native DSD support. http://docs.sotm-audio.com/doku.php?id=en:eunhasu:start#supported_native_dsd_dac_list

Roon can send DSD to DSD enabled DACs in DOP mode or in native mode depending upon what the endpoint the DAC is attached to can support. Roon can also upsample PCM to DSD. Keep in mind such upsampling is a lot more processing on the core and so might affect the decision of which processor is needed for it.

1 Like

Hello @David_Vera,

We’re happy to help. @Rugby asked most of the right questions, but let’s break down your setup step-by-step to make sure that we are giving you the correct information

• Can you give us a Make/Model for the DAC?

• Is it DIY?

• Do you know what USB chipset it uses?

When using Roon Ready networked USB bridge products like the SOtM sMS-200ultra, the USB Bridge capabilities and configuration ultimately determine the format support and DSD playback strategies for Roon playback.

The SOtM sMS-200Ultra is capable of transmitting rates up to DSD256 when using DoP and DSD512 for DACs that the sMS-200Ultra includes native DSD support for. You can read the list of DACs that the sMS-200Ultra can operate in native DSD mode here.

I would also suggest reaching out to the team at SOtM and inquiring if they have experience with your specific DAC.

Yes, Roon’s DSP Sample Rate Conversion feature will upsample PCM content to DSD and then stream it to the sMS-200Ultra in real time. As long as your DAC will accept a DSD (DoP or Native) audio stream from the sMS-200Ultra, this setup should work as you would like it to.

-John

@support

Can someone from Roon Lab support contact me or answer these questions via the forum. I have no idea how to use this forum. It is extremely complex.

Hi @David_Vera,

John just replied to your inquiry, please see the information listed above.

Thanks,
Noris

Thank you for responding.
The DAC is a DSD-only Lampizator Amber, which uses a Amanero Combo384 Module (USB to DSD output adapter) It is not DIY. The unit is happily bitstreaming from JRiver.

I am very impressed with your cataloging features, as well as possible integration with Tidal. Also, I have been very disappointed in the latest versions of JRiver, which appear to concentrate on Video.

My interpretation of your answer (and Rugby’s) to my second issue is that Roon can convert PCM to DSD in real time prior to bitstreaming. My computer is doing the JRiver conversion (PCM to 4xDSD) without apparent errors and without need for long delay times. I will assume that the same will be true with the Roon conversion.

I greatly appreciate your help and look forward to switch to Roon from JRiver.

One last question. Why do I not see any options for the PCM to DSD conversion in the DSP setup? Which is why I was anxious to have my questions answered by a Roon Support person.

Hello @David_Vera,

Make sure that you are using the Lampizator Amber’s ASIO or WASAPI driver for playback, not the “System Output” zone. You can check this by going to the Settings > Audio screen and clicking “Enable” next to the zone that says “Combo 384 ASIO”.

For reference, the Settings > Audio screen can be accessed through the “menu” button on the top left of the screen. Then, scroll down the pop-over on the left to find “Settings”. The Settings > Audio tab looks like this…

-John

Thanks, I now have the Zone set for WASAPI using the Amanero Tech driver.
How do I send DSD to the DAC? When I select Device Setup I have only the following choices:

1. Convert to PCM
  2. DSD over PCM v1.0 (DoP)
  3. Initial dCS method

Hello @David_Vera,

DSD over PCM V1.0 (DoP) would be the correct setting for sending DSD to the device.

-John

How do I make Roon convert PCM to DSD (on the fly)? I am currently doing this with JRiver.

Hello @David_Vera,

You can upsample PCM to DSD by:

• Selecting the DSD zone in the Zone picker (next to volume icon in the bottom right-hand corner)
  • Right-clicking the zone
  • Opening the DSP Engine
  • Enabling Sample Rate Conversion
  • Setting the Sample Rate Conversion to DSD

It should look something like the following:

Thanks,
Noris

My DAC goes up to DSD256. Why is ROON limiting me to DSD128? Also, the signal stream claims that ROON is converting and sending DSD64 to my SOtM SMS200ultra. Is ROON using DoP rather than native DSD? I cannot find the switch that selects DoP, PCM, or Native DSD in the ROON setup. The SQ is amazingly good, far better that DSD256 conversion using JRiver. I would like to send native DSD256 through the SMS200ultra and onto my DSDonly Lampizator.

In Eunhasu (the sms200ultra web application) in RoonReady Config, is DSD mode ‘Native’ chosen and is DSD rate ‘x256’ chosen? That is undoubtedly necessary. My apologies if you’ve already done this.

when i select NATIVE in Eunhasu ROON DSP will not give me any options to convert PCM to DSD. Only DoP selections in Eunhasu will permit PCM to DSD conversion in ROON. Is there anyone I can call a have a conversation on the phone?

Hi @David_Vera,

We do not offer phone support but we would be more than happy to assist you right here on the Community website.

When we resolve issues on Community, it ensures that our entire team has access to the discussion and can weigh in as needed. This means that not only can our support team contribute, but so can our QA team, developers, and senior staff.

You would have to configure the DSD output in the SMS200 web config if you are using it as a Roon Ready endpoint via Ethernet. After making this configuration change, you can check the Signal Path to see what kind of output you are getting.

If you’d like to upsample the PCM to DSD in Roon, you can do this by using Roon’s DSP Engine. To access this, right click your zone and go to DSP. Then in the Sample Rate Conversion settings, enable this feature and set Sample Rate Conversion -> DSD.

Thanks,
Noris

i will repeat my issue.
when i select NATIVE on the Eunhasu web page, ROON DSP will not give me any options to convert PCM to DSD. Only DoP selections in Eunhasu will permit PCM to DSD conversion in ROON.

Hello @David_Vera, I also have an sms200ultra and a Lampizator DSD only dac (Golden Atlantic). I previously had an Atlantic which did not have native DSD support for Linux. The issue was with the version of Amanero firmware which my dac had.

In Eunhasu > System Setup > System Config > DAC information (or simply eunhasu.local/dacinfo/), if native DSD on your dac supports Linux (and therefore the sms200ultra) you should see a line like

Format: S32_LE DSD_U32_BE

Using Windows with JRiver to get native DSD, poses a different problem for the Amanero board. Many versions of the Amanero firmware support native DSD from Windows but not from Linux.

Best of luck with this.

Thanks. This is helpful. My Eunhasu INFO file has:
Interface 2
Altset 1
Format: S32_LE
Channels: 2
Endpoint: 5 OUT (ASYNC)
Rates: 32000, 44100, 48000, 88200, 96000, 176400, 192000, 352800, 384000
Data packet interval: 125 us

1. Does this mean that the firmware does not have Native DSD support?
  2. How do i obtain the Amanero F/W with Native DSD support?.
  3. Also, please confirm I can run ROON server on WINDOWS10 and the SoTM sMS200ultra runs on Linux. So if I can find the correct Amanero F/W, I can run NATIVE DSD. Is this correct?

Thank you for your assistance.

This shows that your firmware does not support native DSD via Linux. I’d recommend contacting Lampizator about your options. On my dac, firmware 2002b is working well with native DSD. But, updating the Amanero firmware is not necessarily easy.

Probably if you run Roon on Windows and bypass the sms200 ultra, you will get native DSD, but the information from Eunhasu does not indicate that one way or the other.

What is the best way to contact Lampizator?