Sharing 20K album library on NAS w Roon server between 2 homes

I have a QNAP TVS-882 i7 6700 processor, (6) six TB drives, two 256gb cache SSD,
and roon core lives on a 256gb M.2 drive, via a 10gbe fibre optic connection to my 10gbe network in primary home. My library is over 14 TBs and growing. Editing and maintaining it is a huge job.

Regarding networking equipment, in primary home I have a Docsis 3.1 modem, a Ubiquiti Edgerouter 4 and a Trendnet 24 port switch with two 10Gbe SFP+ connections. I have 2 Unifi APs and 3 Unifi POE switches. I second home, I have a Google wifi system with three mesh end points.

I want to introduce Roon to my second home, but don’t want to recreate the wheel. I would prefer to be able to access my NAS that hosts the music remotely, without having to introduce a second computer running Roon core, and having to maintain two huge copies of my library.

Some questions:

1. it is possible for me to access my Roon core from a second location? (VPN/ subnet/ other?)
  2. Can I purchase a second copy of Roon, and have the music library location set to the NAS in my primary residence?
  3. Do you offer discounts for holders of lifetime Roon to purchase a second license?
  4. What is the best way for me to deal with this?
    Thanks!
    Jonathan

Regarding networking equipment, in primary home I have a Docsis 3.1 modem, a Ubiquiti Edgerouter 4 and a Trendnet 24 port switch with two 10Gbe SFP+ connections. I have 2 Unifi APs and 3 Unifi POE switches. I second home, I have a Google wifi system with three mesh end points.

Hi @jfp,

This is not something that is officially supported.

If this is something you’re interested in doing, despite knowing that this isn’t something the support team can assist with when troubleshooting issues, I’d recommend creating a post over in the #tinkering section of this site — There you may be able to get some advice on how this type of setup could work.

In order for Roon to function properly, all networked devices must be on the same subnet.

Are you planning on using both Cores at the same time, or will you only be using one at a time? If you will never be using both at the same time there is no need to have multiple licenses — You can switch between which Core is active whenever you’d like.

You’re best off buying another NAS that can act like a core.
I have a Qnap 672xt 30tb. Core, music, and database all live on the spinners. Not a problem. At the cottage I installed Roon on an old Synology 1813+, again everything on the spinners. It works ok, could be faster but it’s fine for my uses.
The magic comes from syncing the library so the music is the same at both locations. Since you have a Qnap I’d suggest getting another one and you can do rrtr (2 way sync) a lot easier.

Using a VPN to play music is not going to be fun. Even if you have a gigabit connection at both locations, you’re still going through your providers network, not to mention the overhead of whatever flavor of VPN you choose.

Officially no, unofficially yes.

You need to use something like ZeroTier, which creates a software defined LAN on each system it is installed on. You’d install it on your Roon Core system and on your endpoints in the second location (e.g., use something like RoPieee or DietPi as the endpoint and then manually install ZeroTier yourself).

Assuming you have sufficient bandwidth between the two locations, this will work just fine. Control of playback at the second location will work best with a computer-based installation of Roon Remote, which you’d also install ZeroTier on. (ZeroTier is available for both Android and iOS, but the mobile versions aren’t as flexible as the full-OS versions of ZeroTier.)

FWIW, I run ZeroTier and use it to play music from my home library on my laptop while travelling for work.

How do I shift between cores between location one and location two? Do I have to deactivate roon core in location one before I can use it in two? If I forget to do this, can the deactivation be done remotely, or will I be locked out of Roon?

You don’t have to deactivate first. All can be done at the location where you want to use Roon. When you try to use the core at location 2, it will ask you then if you want to deactivate location 1 and use location 2. You simply say yes.

Hi @jfp,

It’s quite easy! When you try to login to a Core that isn’t authorized you will be prompted to unauthorize the other Core and authorize the current one. It ends up being just a button click to confirm this.

I have used Zerotier just fine to access my roon library at home from work.

But obviously be aware that all roon sees is a locally connected device, there is no streaming magic going on here like say with PLEX, so if the internet speed is not up to it, flaky things will occur, particualry with scrolling through albums, searches and stuff and occasional drop outs etc can be an issue, or at least are with me.

Do all the settings and libraries remain intact at location 1 so that when I come back and activate it again, it is as I left it?

yes they do.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.