Sharoon v0.3.0: Share albums and tracks via streaming services links

Jan it was a day one play, so quite possibly it was missing. I added the album to my library and played it from there.

It very clearly showed Taylor Swift as the artist on screen (though with Album artist as well could be some confusion with what I saw).

Though it looks like the issue has been fixed now, so it may have been an early Metadata issue

1 Like

Sharoon v0.3.0 is now available

This release includes two new features that make the sharing of tracks and albums easier and quicker.

Zone Hopping with optional Priority Zone

Previous versions had a fixed Monitoring Zone, only for this selected zone streaming services links were created. Now the system is more dynamic. All zones are monitored for playback, the zone that starts playback first will be used for link generation, when this zone stops playback any other playing zone will take over. A list of playing zones is kept, sorted by the order in which they started playback. There is an overrule for this zone order via the Priority Zone setting in the Settings dialog. The priority zone only takes priority if it is playing.

In the status line and Settings dialog it is shown which track or album is currently ā€œin focusā€.

Community Snippets

The idea behind Community Snippets is to provide a set of preformatted links that can be copied and pasted into your community posts, enabling you to share what you are playing in one of the music sharing threads in Roon Community. If you like the images that Roon can create for sharing then you can now combine it with e.g. direct links to Qobuz and Tidal. This way you make the move from showing what you are playing to sharing what you are playing!

Here is a post that I created while testing the Community Snippets, it uses an Image Link and Direct Links.

The new Settings dialog

To make it quicker to change settings, like share type and zone, you can make a change and then refresh the Community Snippets to get up to date links. You do this by selecting Now in the Refresh dropdown menu (wait till Now turns idle again). If you Save the made changes then they will also be used in case you click the Sharoon link to get to the sharing page of the selected service.

To finish off, here is a screenshot of the new Settings dialog:

2 Likes

Looking forward to trying this out when back from my travels Jan. Thanks for the excellent work as always

Hello,

I bought the developer a coffee (I received a confirmation email from the ā€œBuy Me a Coffeeā€ website), however, I donā€™t seem to receiving a registration email when I enter my email into the extension. I have tried re-entering it once to ensure there were no typos, but I am still not receiving anything. I have checked all inboxes of my email multiple times.

Registration emails that are sent to gmail users get blocked by gmail :frowning:

I have sent you a PM with manual instructions.

Thank you for this !!! I installed the extension manager only because I was seeking for such a feature. Itā€™s crazy we did not see this right in Roon for now. This is something I use every single dayā€¦

I just donated, but I guess you have to validate my donation manually in order to get this to work @Jan_Koudijs ?

also, a few questions, is there no way to add a share button right in the player ? or simply to replace the terrible ā€œshareā€ feature existing in Roon, redirecting the action to the sharoon webui ?

Could we also have an option to select the share destination ? like, share on facebook, twitter, or simply get the link if we want. ?

Thanks again !!!

Hi Jan,

Probably having a senior moment but how do I get these Community Snippet links into my Roon posts?

Thanks

.sjb

Hi John,

If you click the input field the text will be selected and you should be able to copy it, e.g. with Ctrl-C in Windows. then you move over to your forum post and paste it with Ctrl-V.

This is easiest if you have the Roon Remote and the Community Forum running on the same device.

1 Like

Got it thanks!

great addition.

.sjb

1 Like

This is possible from the share link provided by the service you selected. In Songwhip you click the 3 dots in the upper right corner and select Share this album/track.

Unfortunately not, the Roon API is pretty limited in its functionality and doesnā€™t provide anything that allows to hook in on the user interface. As no major new features have been added to the API since its initial release I donā€™t expect this to change :frowning:

Found your link. :slight_smile:

Any way to get this extension to play nice with radio stations that broadcast their currently playing track? It seems to pick up the station name as the artist which prevents it from finding the track I imagine.

Thanks for your donation!
I see that the cloud registration was successful :slight_smile:

Radio stations are not supported:

1 Like

I see your point, but DI.FM track name and artist come through the same way every time ā€¦ itā€™s just that Sharoon thinks the artist name is always ā€œ(radio station name) DI.FM - (track name)ā€ - surely thereā€™s a way to get it to read it out properly in this case? :slight_smile:

Hi Jan, I notice that Sharoon is stymied by ā€œ&ā€ in an artists or groups name.

Obviously not a huge issue but I wonder is there a coding way to get around it? I presume ā€œandā€ would work or just Elvis Costello but there is no manual intervention

Using Sharoon quite a lot on my spiritual music home the Naim forum

.sjb

19684 postā€™s??
Makes the Roon forum threads look miniscule.

Hi @Jan_Koudijs

I seem to have come unstuck with Sharoon. Iā€™m asked to add my email address for cloud access. I did this last week and it worked by clicking the email I was sent, but now Iā€™ve been asked again and when I input my email I had the following

Thanks

John.

Please try the link in the email you already have once more, that should sync the registration status.

I did try it again but it doesnā€™t work. Directly in outlook I get nothing and pasting into safari I get a ā€œcould not connectā€ to an IP address.

I think the IP address of my Raspberry Pi has changed since the link was sent, could that be having an effect?

Thanks

John

If the IP address changed then the link cannot be used directly, but if you copy the link and manually change the IP address then it should work.

Iā€™ve sent you a PM as I donā€™t want to post the tokens here as Iā€™m having trouble connecting even when I change the IP address.

thanks

.sjb