Shocking How much Music Roon Can't See

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Roon 1.7

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

Comcast Router, NetGear ether switch

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Mac OSX Big Sur on 5Ghz wifi, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC on ethernet to same router as wifi.

Description Of Issue

Stunning the number of albums are missed during library scan. All albums in the same file folder, and Roon will simply not acknowledge they are there,

Example: With Creedence Clearwater Revival LP titled “Creedence Clearwater Revival” in DSF format was not imported, but it sibling Creedence albums in DSF were. Explicitly importing this folder as a second attempt worked, and is now visible to Roon.

Also with several others like the Doors “LA Woman” and “The Doors” in .aif format would never get acknowledged, despite repeated rescans.

There are loads like this in my library.

Verified: NO special characters, files play great through JRiver, music downloaded from HD Tracks.

Are they hidden under versions

By default roon hides duplicates of the same album. This can be switched off in settings.

1 Like

Hi @David_Welch,

Definitely check Versions as mentioned above!

if you’re still not seeing them, I’d like to point out some documentation we have that may be helpful here. In our KB we have an article about Skipped Files and an article about why some files might be missing from Roon .

If you go to Settings > Library > Skipped Files do you see any of your missing files there?

I’d like to recommend looking at a couple of specific examples of tracks that did not get imported into Roon. Are they supported files? Are they showing up in Skipped Files? If it looks like they should be importing, let me know! Screenshots of these files in their storage location would be helpful for discovering what may be happening.

I have several copies of some of this material like ripped from LP with mind numbing expensive turntables and A/D converters. (a friend’s professional Set-up - costs more than my truck), SACD rips to DSD64 as DSF files, and FLAC downloads.

Some of the LP’s are multiple copies of different pressings and all of them show up.

1. Checked Skipped files log, and no files listed except for 2 with know issues and not part of the set I’m concerned with
  2. No special characters as listed in the forbidden characters list. A number of files have - (Hyphen) but most imported and a number that did not don’t have a hyphen.
  3. None of the files in question is corrupt. They all play perfectly on JRiver.

The Doors LA Women after multiple rescans of that specific folder, finally acknowledged 2 of 10 tracks. 3 rescans got Roon to import one of my Creedence DSF albums, the other Creedence DSF albums scanned in perfectly the first time.

Edit: The duplicates I have are ripped from Vinyl and have an extended file name stating the pressing in FLAC. Zero duplicates of the DSF/DSD files or AIF. Show duplicates is also turned on in Roon.

Appreciate the help.

Update:

1. I separated the 24/192 FLAC album rips from the folder structure which also contained DSF/AIFF/and FLAC that were native digital.

2. Deleted the all folders in the Library settings section

3. Only added back the new native digital folder to the library and rescanned

All the missing files are now present. Later I’ll selectively add the remaining ripped FLAC LP’s and see what happens.

Roon clearly thinks these original digital versions were duplicates, BUT did not show them as dups in the dups list or exposed them when Settings for show dups was turned on. Strange.

Could it be because your folder names are “wrong”, “The Doors HD” and not “The Doors”? Usually the Folder Structure matters, The Doors is a band name, The Doors HD is not. The same would go for the album names, Just a guess.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.