Should I keep running ROCK?

Hi,

I love ROCK, I run it on my NUC, it’s fast to boot and it keeps itself updated, the thing is I have my ROCK in the living room and my DAC is connected to it, I power it on when I want to listen to music.

I have a 24/7 Linux server, I think it might be better to run the Roon Server on here so that it’s on all the time for multi-room, can I deploy ROCK as a VM on my server so it’s on all the time and it keeps itself updated?

And to my NUC endpoint, I’m thinking that I stick with ROCK because it works great with my DAC and it keeps itself updated, thoughts?

So is anyone doing anything similar, ROCK on a server and ROCK on an endpoint?

Thanks.
Richard

Why wouldn’t you just install Roon server on your Linux server? I am no expert, but I think running ROCK on a virtual machine defeats the purpose of ROCK.

3 Likes

If Roon Server can update itself on Linux then cool, I’m not 100% on that.

Maybe I will switch out the NUC for a RoPieee box, the Skull Canyon NUC is overkill for an endpoint.

I think that the optimum way to run Roon is on a device of its own, preferably using ROCK. However the clarification that a Skull Canyon NUC was being used changes that. And it does explain why you needed to switch it off when not in use. Replace the NUC with something more appropriate. Move the core to your server or to the new device if is powerful and quiet enough.

Having a first ROCK as server and a separate second ROCK connected via USB to an endpoint, may well result in the need of two subscriptions for Roon and ending up with two separate databases. The latter may be a benefit in case one prefers one kind of music in the living room and an other kind of music for streaming elsewhere. ROCK on a NUC has a huge advantage that it only operates ROON and not much else. ROON server on a Linux server has the advantage that ROON server may be extended with specific Add-ins, but the Linux server will operate many other processes on the background that may - or may not - hamper a quick access to the database. All will depend on your wishes and the investments - in finance and maintenance - you may wish to make as far as I am aware.

It is possible to run ROCK as a passive end point without building a database or even logging in to it. Just give it a unique name and if you are offered a choice of cores, it will always be obvious which you need to choose.

No need for two licences at all. I run two ROCK systems one is an endpoint only , you just don’t configure it for Roon server it just acts as a regular Roon endpoint.

Personally I would move the NUC and have it powered up 24/7 and get something like a Raspberry Pi with Ropieee and use that as a Roon Bridge to the DAC.

ROCK seems like the best solution for running Roon Server and a NUC+ROCK will merely sip power.

2 Likes

Yes. That’s what I do. Rock on a NUC 7i3 in the study and connected via Ethernet to end points

Either run the Roon Server binary on your Linux box–it works like a charm–and implement Roon Bridge using a Raspberry Pi or retail solution for your DAC or relocate the NUC and run this 24/7.

1 Like