Should Nucleus run continuously?

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Nucleus

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
ASUS

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
LG

Description Of Issue
I’m new to Roon.
Should Nucleus power be switched off when not in use?

It’s a personal choice, but it is designed to run continuously.

Leaving it on has the advantage that it gives it more time to maintain the local metadata, artwork etc. as Roon’s backend servers improve the master copy.

Switching it off of course will save some energy.

Hope that helps.

Thank You it does.

1 Like

Also every time you start it up depending on the size of your library it might take a few minutes before you can play anything. I leave my CORE on 24/7

For reference, the NUC8i3 draws ~4W at idle. An alarm clock/radio draws about 2W.
A 100W Class A amp draws ~300W at idle (and at full power, for that matter).

Thank You all. The reason for my enquiry wasn’t so much related to power consumption. I was concerned that a continuous on could result in extra wear and tear on the electronics thereby reducing the life of the Nucleus.

I doubt that there’s any specific info out there, but turning devices on/off may actually shorten their life more than continuous usage. And, though I doubt it’s the case with the Nucleus, electronics of various types actually benefit from reaching a stable state, with all components getting to a thermal equilibrium. However, I’ll leave that to the actual engineers in our community and the guys at Roon to fill in the blanks.

3 Likes

If this was true the engineers had tremendously failed in designing a sustainable, usable and environment friendly product. Imagine you would have to leave your TV on 24/7 Just because it may break otherwise. I would not buy this product. Anyway, just my 2c. I turn my Nuc on every time I want to listen.

So when do you do backups?

Manually, once a month. Maybe every second month.

Not to be argumentative, but most modern electronics (eg: tv’s, computers, etc.) never actually shut off. When you hit the power button on the remote or close the lid on your laptop, the unit just goes into a lower power state. There is almost always some power to the device unless you actually turn off the power supply or unplug the unit.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.