Should the Sample Rate Conversion filter be active when not up or down sampling?

It seems to be active when set to be inactive. If I change it while playing with DSP disabled it pauses and seems to change the filter. Thanks.
David

Maybe it’s just me, but I’m having trouble understanding your question.

“[W]hen set to be inactive,” in DSP Engine > Sample Rate Conversion, is the enabled/disabled switch right next to “Sample Rate Conversion” set to disabled?

I see the same behaviour. I assume that while DSP functions are disabled, theres still compatibility action goin on. And the functions that causes pause are probably layered further down, in the compatibility layer.
Just an assumption though… And, you dont see any changes to the sample rate/bit depth on yer DAC, do you?
Atb Mike

Is this the behavior you’re talking about?

If I have DSP Engine set to disabled but Sample Rate Conversion set to enabled, and I change, say, Sample Rate Conversion Filter from “Precise, Linear Phase” to “Smooth, Minimum Phase,” there’s a short pause in playback but then playback resumes and the new setting appears to be active.

What I observe in this case is that’s the settings change “sticks,” but the change doesn’t actually take effect until DSP Engine is re-enabled. This is easiest for me to verify if I change a parameter that’s reflected on my DAC’s display.

To me, this is sensible, if not necessarily expected, behavior.

Spot on, thats what i’m seeing too.
As i said, i think these settings are affecting something on a more fundamental level and also applies when resampling for compatibility reasons. (Such as “my DAC does not do 384Khz sample rates”)

Thanks for the help. Yes, you both have the right idea; I am talking about the Percise Linear and Percise Minimum phase filters. The behavior is the same whether I have the SRC button enabled or disabled. The signal path and DAC show no changes being made sample rate. Bit depth I can only check with Roon and it shows it is not changing. I am using an SOTM SMS-200 as a Roon endpoint if it matters.

In order to be more clear I will further explain what I am thinking. Should audio player software that is not using Sample rate or bit depth conversion apply a Linear or Minimum phase filter? I believe a filter is implemented in the DAC. My DAC also up samples so it must, I believe. If it is implemented both in the player software and our DACs are there two filters being applied and does it matter if so? I am not a technical person with these things so it may be a dumb question, but there it is. Thanks again,
David

As far as I can tell, if you have Sample Rate Conversion disabled, your filter settings are not doing anything. If you want to be extra-careful about this, you can also change Sample Rate Conversion to “For compatibility only” (but I think that’s probably unnecessary).

It’s common (though not universal) for DACs to do internal upsampling and filtering, although in many cases this can be bypassed or minimized if you want to. What DAC do you have?

Thanks, David. I am using a Wadia 121 and I prefer that the DAC do the upsampling; I think it sounds better this way. That is why I would like the digital stream to be left unaltered so my DAC can do its thing.

It does seem to change the sound when changing the filters, even when set to off. It could be paranoia and/or placebo. Maybe they are really off, but it is bothering me.

Could one of the @support folks comment definitively on this?

A post was split to a new topic: Sample rate conversion question