Show us your RPis!

I second to that question.
I went for the Zen Stream just being afraid of the Pis (all the hats, reading, not the assembling)
thanks

If you can find one, the stock Pi 4 has a
built in USB ports suitable for audio use.

The Pi 3 does too, but the USB shares some resources with the Ethernet port, so the Pi 4 is considered better.

So for USB DACs you don’t need a hat or anything extra over the Pi board, case, and power supply.

4 Likes

I somehow remembered something was in the weeds with the 3 design. Thanks for that advice.

1 Like

@tgp-2 what OS are you running on this box?

currently running headless ubuntu 22.04 … the r5c was released very recently and I’m still limited to using the install images provided by the vendor (and I’ve had some issues getting any of these with a desktop gui to boot consistently … seems there are still some early issues to work out) … will switch to Armbian when/if it adds support for this device

[update 12/29/2022] … now booting DietPi and functional using the NanoPi R5S image … R5C uses same kernel, same/similar CPU, etc. (not officially supported yet, but still much better than the vendor-provided install images)

2 Likes

Cross-posting… RPi4 in a Flirc case, wireless driving a very old skool set-up that I love.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/showing-off-your-roon-setup-description-and-photos/173220/3040?u=johnny_ooooops

RPi 3 + HifiBerry AMP2 HAT amplifier with Airplay and Roon endpoint for my wife’s Tannoy bookshelves. She likes to crank up Tears for Fears and dance in the living room.

Only problem: can’t find a case that fits the Pi3+HAT. Any ideas? So out of stock so far. Could follow my son’s idea from 12 years ago and build a Lego case (that was just a Pi, they didn’t have version numbers back them!).

1 Like

Try putting it in a guitar switch box enclosure like one of these: https://lovemyswitches.com/enclosures/
You might need to drill some holes for cooling.

This looks like it’ll do and it’s in stock.

1 Like

I picked up the mechtronics aluminum case. Pricey but well made.

2 Likes

one of the two I’m using, this one is with the Digi+ hat. The other one has the DAC2 pro hat.

1 Like

Like that LEGO idea. Sounds like a grandson project.

1 Like

The M11 Plus came to town so it’s new home is man draw.

Don’t worry have some others still in use occasionally.

2 Likes

I’m just resurrecting one for a headphone station.

Though I can’t get it to work, a job for another day.

2 Likes

Finally managed to successfully switch my RPi4 to Naztronaut’s dancyPi-audio-reactive-led GitHub No-Mic branch to directly visualize Roon’s audio stream, instead of having to use the former install’s microphone input.

Edited its several python scripts to map long to short wavelengths accordingly from red to blue and tweaked the various cryptic parameters to more accurately transpose auditory to visual impressions.

Due to camera and display gamut restrictions, following clip doesn’t really do proper justice to the synesthetic visuals effected, which are much more impressive than any VU-meter or even a spectrum analyzer’s graph could muster, as informative as they may be …

Roon-Audio-Stream-Visualizer
(EDIT: click the little play-button bottom right in the pic!)

6 Likes

5 Likes

This looks cool. I am curious about the cases/ rack for the RPIs. Would you have the brand/model for these?
I have a couple of Rpis in separate cases but would much prefer to have them in one rack.
Many thanks.

1 Like

I used this case:

I returned the fans.

They will stack as high as you like.

They are designed for Pis without HATs so I needed to source extra stand offs to get the heights I wanted (initially I just sourced more stands than I need and doubled up the stand offs).

Made a few modifications to my 2022 setup for a substantial uptick in SQ:

• IanCanada PurePi II power for my 8Gb Pi4B
  • Audiolinux operating system which enables isolated cpu cores
  • Diretta network protocol which implements more uniform processing
  • Cascaded Cisco Meraki switches modified by AudioPhool NL
  • Network Acoustics eno filter into the RPi
1 Like

Many thanks. Very helpful.

1 Like