Showing off your DESKTOP Roon setup

Can you use them to play as computer speakers (play any audio from Windows)?

If youā€™re referring to the Kef LSX, yes - they have aux, optical and bluetooth inputs.

1 Like

Yeah, thanks. So as a Bluetooth you can choose it as an audio output device on Windows? Have you tried? Does it have latency when watching videos for example?

Sorry, so many questions.

Iā€™ve used Bluetooth on a Mac, and it works well (no latency with videos). I have no reason to doubt it wouldnā€™t work well on a PC, but perhaps somebody else will confirm.

1 Like

Naim Uniti also ethernet ready

I think the OP wanted photos

ā€œShowingā€

:grin:

Mine to come soon !

1 Like

RME ADI DAC
iLoud Micro
PreSonus Eris Sub8
Sennheiser HD660s
K&M stands
Roon core: Macbook Pro

Absolutely loving this setup - the iLouds are fantastic and a bit of a bargain. Adding a sub with high-pass filter was the icing on the cake - didnā€™t think I needed it until I got it :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Great thread - love all the amazing systems shown here!

My home-office setup is also near-field and keeps me happy during my working time, when Iā€™m away from my main system. Signal path is lossless: no upsampling, no DSP, no volume levelling. And no sub (actually had a Neumann KH 810 sub in this system for some years - killer system with the KH 120 As ā€“ but needed to sell the subā€¦ well, different story).

Roon Core: ROCK on fanless PrimeMini 4 with 2 TB SSD (in living room)
Roon Endpoint: MacBook Pro (exclusive mode) via WLAN
Thunderbolt Station: CalDigit TS3 Plus
USB cable: Audioquest
DAC: RME Fireface UC (also an ADC)
XLR cable: Vovox
Monitor Controller: SPL 2Control 2860
Speakers: Neumann KH 120 A
Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro
Stands: IsoAcoustics ISO-130

11 Likes

As I understand things SBC is the Bluetooth codec used by all iPhones, including my iPhone 12 Pro Max , and I find the sound to be quite acceptable. Why do you say that itā€™s ā€œunlistenableā€? I am not asking because Iā€™m an Apple fan boy and you insulted Apple, but rather because I listen to the Drop Panda Bluetooth headphones using my iPhone all the time and, as I said above, I find the sound to be pretty enjoyable. Again Iā€™m not looking to start a flame war, Iā€™m just curious.

A few links to ponder:
Soundguys
Bluetooth Check
habr

Iā€™m not sure I have ever used Bluetooth with Roon, but I just now switched my Roon end-point to my iPhone 11 Pro Max connected by Bluetooth to Sony WH-1000XM3 headphones. It sounds great except maybe a little bass heavy.

I normally use a Dragonfly Cobalt and Moon Audio Silver Dragon cable from my iPhone to Sony headphones, but mostly with Apple Music when walking our dog.

4 Likes

@dabassgoesboomboom FYI I started using CBS350 managed switch and very happy with PoE! Also solved SQ issue when using Anubis in my generic-purpose LAN at home.

Fact was before I bought CBS350 I connected my Anubis to unmanaged switch. Multichannel PCM worked fine but the SQ of multichannel DSD was really bad. Pop noise always. If LAN traffic went busy the pop noise got worse.

I followed Mergingā€™s online doc to setup my CBS350 as REVENNA/AES67 mission-specific switch then all problems gone. Finally can enjoy the multichannel DSD256.

@jussi_laako I setup my UP^2 as a gateway for NAA ā†’ RAVENNA by taking the advantage of dual RJ45 ports. Iā€™m using the Ubuntu Server 20.04ā€™s stock low-latency kernel 5.4. This could solve the RAVENNA kernel module building / compatibility issues with HWE kernel (too new :rofl:). I know I could install Windows 10 on my UP^2 and setup the NAA but I just prefer Linuxā€¦

Hereā€™s the most recent infrastructure of my home LAN:

Maybe in the near future I will acquire a Merging+Hapi Mk II + DA8P. Peering with Anubis I can do full 12ch DSD256 for ATMOS 7.1.4 (I tested my i9 was capable for 12ch 1x -gauss-long + non-EC modulator upsampling to 12ch DSD256 with PEQ / each channel :grinning:).

1 Like

Great news!

I use Netgear GS108PP POE+ unmanaged switch fine with Anubis too.

I never got the HQP OS Ravenna image to work reliably. I wonder if the switch is to blame.

Works fine with macOS NAA though, so never felt like i was missing anything.

1 Like

I modified 2 parameters in the merging_ravenna_daemon.conf (for the HQPlayer OS it should be in Butler folder somewhere under /opt/ravenna/ directoryā€¦ exact path I donā€™t remember :sweat_smile:)

tic_frame_size_at_1fs=192
max_tic_frame_size=8192

Frame size 192 is good for both world (64x for RAVENNA or 48x for AES67). And also because the number will increased by fs so you have to set the size limit to 8192 to prevent overflow.

And you also need to verify the name of NIC using ifconfig (or other network management tools). Ubuntu changed the NIC naming methods from ethX to enpXsY. For example my Gigabit NIC was in 6th (or 7th?) PCIe slot it showed enp6s0 so you have to modify merging_ravenna_daemon.conf to declare it as well:

interface_name=enp6s0

In every NAA reboot Iā€™ll set PCM output first. In ANEMAN when you connect the interface itā€™ll show orange color. Ignore it, just hit play. If you can hear music then you can switch to DSD output in HQPlayer later on. You can keep playing / stopping music until next NAA reboot. :grinning:

1 Like

Since last week same situation.

I have decided to upgrade from Logitech 2.1 basic computer speakers to self powered audio monitors

In my case the ones to be choosen has to have two ā€œinā€ options and both by RCA

One for the computer and the 2nd for the Roon player (Squeezebox Touch)

I canā€™t share results yet as being under investigation which ones

Would be nice to see how do you solve it (and many others from the community)

1 Like

I have the same (similar) setup in my bedroom

Duet with a Prodipe self powered speakers

Sounds great for the purpose I am expecting for the setup

these houses. Magritte as a profile pic. Fellow Belgian ? :slight_smile:

Pretty closeā€¦ Slightly up north ā€“ Dutchie here.

1 Like

Jeff Beck is English but obviously goo taste

1 Like

As i Alan Hull

Two KEF speakers, a rpi running hifiberry as endpoint. And nothing else in my main workspace :wink:
And of course, some ambient music playing.

7 Likes