Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Great!!!
Reminds me of the science posters I used to see at scientific meetings.

Understand your experience with Class D. It may be worth a listen since design and implementation have been steadily improving. Iā€™ve not experienced any issues with Roon and BluOS devices including the M10 and BlueSound Node. My Roon core is located in my main desktop which is a newer (2019) iMac i5. I considered moving the core to a dedicated laptop or purchasing a Nucleus but there is no urgency since my system is very robust and reliable.

1 Like

Build up in many years and changes, this is our system right now. Even the living room has been modified for acoustic improvements.

We are very happy with the system and never thought we should ever have a sound like this in our house. Only at some shows.
Very subjective of course :joy:

Equipment:
Dan Dā€™Agostino Progression Pre and Main
dCS Rossini Player and Clock
Magico M2 with MPods
Transparent Power Cords and Interlinks
Transparent Reference Power Isolator
Crystal Cable speaker cables
Roon Nucleus Plus with 4TB SSD
Silent Angel Bonn N8 switches

44 Likes

Here some pictures of the acoustic wall
Sorry, with previous system :man_shrugging:

30 Likes

impressive!

Just got a new SonicTransporter i5 from Small Green Computer. Itā€˜s now in my chain STi5 -> USBridge Signature/Shanty LPS -> Devialet Expert 120.
I hadnā€˜t expected, but the STi5 is indeed quieter than my Mac Mini!

6 Likes

Thanks for that. I had seen Hanā€™s vid. I use the S/PDIF Coax interconnect. with some decent morrow cables. Again I think the missing piece here is the dedicated Roon Core.

I did some further comparisons of Qobuz Roon vs MPD with 2 other people in the room who have an ear for music. MPD got the nod again but not by much. In one case a person preferred the Roon version so its nip in tuck. What I am coming to realize is the dramatic difference is in RadioParadise FLAC redbook stream. Manic Moose has an App and Roon runs off a URL. But I dont have any idea the details of each implementation.

Note: I got a Bryston BOT-1 optical transport up and running yesterday. I compared a Pretenders track off a CD vs Qobuz 16/48 and the MPD Stream crushed the CD . Then I played the same track off a remastered version (24/96) of the same album via Qobuz and all three people in the room thought the 16/48 was a better recording. LOL :confused:

I knowed it :smiley:. Can you gives us some details on the improvements? I am in the same boat and got my finger on the trigger for the SGC ST i5.

@Jeff_S I noticed that you kept on using the term ā€œweā€ in your post and based on the cost of the equipment that you have in your system, would that ā€œweā€ refer to you and your mortgage company? :laughing:

All kidding aside, a very impressive and well thought out system. May it bring you many, many years of listening enjoyment!

It was immediately obvious: the sound is just cleaner. I always felt that Roon sounded very bright, that caused listening fatigue after a while. Having inserted the STi5, I immediately noticed that the background shrillness was gone. Itā€˜s not that the sound per se improved, it is just quieter.
Add to this, Andrew Gillisā€˜ support is outstanding, as I had an issue during initial set up.

1 Like

Hi Ralph, thanks for your reply of which I appreciate your humor very much :joy:

In this case itā€™s also my wife.
When I met her and Finally we started to be a couple living in the same house, she told me she likes me very much but my HiFi set sounds like crap :poop:
We both like to visit live concerts (not right now) :wink: and we tried to achieve some of that magic at home. Of course we failed completely but hey: it sounds better as when we met. :rofl:

8 Likes

While the ā€œmagicā€ of a live show cannot be achieved at home, at home one can often achieve much better sound than at a live show. All it takes for a live show to sound bad is an inept sound technician. Iā€™ve sat through plenty of truly awful sounding live shows and a fair share of great sounding and magical ones as well.

4 Likes

Absolutely agreed!
The ā€œmagicā€ of live music is the event itself and the ambiance.

These sound engineers are amazing and they donā€™t come cheap, when we put on gigs we are always happy to pay the good ones. Luckily they appreciate what we do and are on our side and always accommodate us.
The musicians are always impressed when face with a great engineer at sound check and a great engineer knows ho to handle them if neededā€¦

1 Like

Interesting. I have my old CD player out for service but back in a few days. Iā€™ll probably not be able to resist doing these kinds of comps, LOL. Especially if he ended up replacing more parts than I thought.

It was time to upgrade my Edition X v1ā€¦

New family additionā€¦
She is a beauty :smiley:

14 Likes

I just compared Steely Dan CD that I had that was not even open yet, still in the plastic. Release by MCA in 1998. Compared that to Qobuz and it was dead even. CD sounded so good I just let it play through the entire album. The pretenders CD was really old. I just have to wonder if they degrade after time.

Hardly the same as your old Edt X, ut could give us some hints of what one could expect, sound wise?
(Eyeing the Susvara as well as some Stax and electrostatic Hifimanā€™s)

Beautifull :heart_eyes:
What is the headphone-Amp?

atb, Tom

Iā€™m fully with you on the sound engineers dilemma. In my recent experience in Europe in concerts in several occasions and countries the past 3-4 years. Ranging from an audience of 100 to 5000 it seems most sound engineers either doesnā€™t care, just go fo loudness, doesnā€™t know the venue or gets told not to bother. Most places sounds quite bad if you have an idea of how it should sound. Unfortunately you have to learn the venue yourself to get somewhere near a sweet spot. Iā€™ve been to places with acts known to be ā€œthe best in the worldā€ and there is sound coming towards me x2. Not in sync. And the tickets cost ā‚¬150+.

For me itā€™s the same with cinemas. Most sound really awful and unbalanced. Some sound great, but you really have to do your homework or test them out to get to the great ones.

In the end I think itā€™s not many people that knows or cares about sound reproduction these days. I have several friends at Spotify who shrugs at my questions about when Spotify will go lossless. Iā€™m mostly looked upon as just stupid to think lossless sounds betterā€¦