Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

If a man can’t spend 100 euro on himself then well…:roll_eyes:

Between the S2, Aeons and stand (slightly over €100 ;-)) it adds up (neither of these were exactly planned) – but let me go on record and state publicly that my wife’s the best – even outside HiFi. :smiley:

She reads this forum as well then :slight_smile:

1 Like

…Thanks a bunch, Rene. My wife is urging me to draw swords with you on this…:wink:

1 Like

Let’s see whether in the next few weeks an S2 makes a magical appearance in your living room first. :smiley:

Is it THAT good? You know my wife controls the expenses here… as do most wives, from what I gather…:wink:

2 Likes

It’s fun – but you’re welcome to drop by and listen & compare. Bring your phones and Mojo – I’ll pop a nice bottle. :slight_smile:

And enough with the wives – let’s see some new Roon setups here!

3 Likes

Is that an invitation?:wink:

1 Like

How do you like this setup? …this is just for carry-around-in-the house – sound is great, battery runs for several days, put it together the other day from “existing parts” I used to connect to my laptop.

Raspberry Pi 3 running Ropieee - AudioQuest DragonFly Red - mophie powerstation USB-C XXL - Sennheiser Momentum M2 AEBT - elastic straps :slight_smile: !

23 Likes

Ok here is my Roon system/s - now the only thing I really have left to do is to try and tidy up the cabling at some point, but listening to the music is so much better use of my time at the moment… My main room is approximately 6 by 4 metres.

Storage - Synology NAS DS515+ (located in my study/office. It has Roon Server on SSD but is not used at the moment)
Mains Supply - PS Audio Power Plant Premier
Roon Server - runs on modified Mac-Mini (SSD and 16GB RAM + isolation base) - The mini also acts as a network bridge for the uRendu, KDS & Mac mini, so network traffic comes directly from main switch in office to the key audio components bypassing the network switch in the lounge
Power Supply - Uptone Audio JS-2 linear psu - supplies DC power to the MacMini
UPNP Bridge - Sonure uRendu - this is powered by the Uptone Audio LPS1, which is energised by a Kingrex psu
Roon Control Point - Ipad Air2
Roon Endpoint 1 - Linn Klimax DS Katalyst (accesses Roon through the UPNP bridge) - my main endpoint for listening to music
Roon Endpoint 2- Trinnov Amethyst (casual listening)
Roon Enpoint 3 - Study/Office - iMac
Roon Endpoint 4 - Kitchen - Linn Sneaky DS
Room Correction, Pre-amp & Active Crossover - Trinnov Amethyst - it should be called the Swiss army knife of audio. It really does an excellent job of taming the worst acoustic aspects of your room
Speakers - Linn Klimax 320 active speakers & JL Audio Fathom F112 Subs
Head Fi - Woo Audio WA5LE & Hi-Fi Man HE-1000
Vibration/Supports/Ancillaries - Finite Elemente, HI Fi Rack, Auralex, HRS, Entreq

19 Likes

Great room and great gear! I love my F112s.

Impressive stuff! Congrats!

Great stuff!

What are those things on top of LPS-1 and ultraRendu?

Heatsinks - the units can run quite warm - I just rest them on top with a coating of thermal paste

1 Like

Where did you get the heatsinks? I have an application for something like that.

Thx!

C

Mac Pro (early 2008) -> Sonore ultraRendu -> Rega DAC-R -> Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II -> Ryan R630 speakers.

MacPro is in the basement away from everything else, which is upstairs in my non-dedicated listening/living room.

The speakers are the star of the show. The ultraRendu is a recent addition, and I couldn’t be happier from a functionality and sound quality perspective.

The amp looks the coolest/hottest, though. :slight_smile:

17 Likes

Great idea. I think I will cook up something similar to see how DF Red sounds portable with its MQA vs my Mojopoly. I have nanopi neos running Roonbridge and they would be perfect for this application.

Just search for the size you want - I eventually found them through Amazon

1 Like

Some minor updates nothing huge. Mixing desk still in room, but Devialet has gone. Tesla T90s were 250ohm and not sounding their best and I had an itch to go to easier to drive planar magnetics…

Hifiman HE400i headphones and one of my three RPi DIY WiFi headphone stand Roon endpoints. At 35ohm these planar magnetics are well within what a raspberry pi DAC can juice, just an effortless minimal and fun setup with no failings for private and transportable music.

You’ll see the Devialet has gone and I’ll probably pop a DIY smart mirror over its vacant space with the roon web UI integrated into a smart mirror project… should be do able… Devialet been replaced with B&O Icepower ASC500 monoblocks in Ghent cases which are hidden away driving those B&Ws. RPi3 Headphone stand in the distance is also armed with a Hifiberry DAC+Pro XLR and runs Roon endpoint for streaming music and OSMC for Streaming video. All DSP is in Roon from imported REW curves from when I had a miniDSP also exported them to BruteFIR for when not using Roon. I really liked my old IcePower ASC250s that swapped the Devialet and because I missed them, I went back to ASC500s, for a bit more dynamic headroom. Much more “grippy” than the Devialet D120 which might have been struggling with the load demanded by the B&W800s. The Ghent cases are switched so I can have two analog inputs no need for a preamp or anything much really.

Sorry for dark pic. There’s not much of my equipment to show anymore.

5 Likes

Stereo: ROCK (NUC 7i5, inside fanless Akasa Plato X7) -> Pro-ject Pre Box S2 Digital -> Arcam AVR550 -> B&W 804 D3
Multi Channel: ROCK (via HDMI) -> Arcam AVR550 -> B&W 804 D3 / B&W CM Center S2 / B&W AM-1 (not on the picture)

And for the night: B&W P7 Bluetooth via Avantree Bluetooth Dongle connected to the ROCK.

iPad & iPhone as Roon Remote.

16 Likes