Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Hi Danny,
Glad you’re liking the Devialet. Have you considered getting it updated to 220 Pro status, with the CI upgrade fitted as well? You will find improvements in SQ right across the board. Devialet are supposedly reopening the upgrade path again soon.
BTW, it would be nice to see you on the Devialet Chat forum. You’ll find us a very friendly bunch, much like the Roon forum!

Here’s my system. Roon on a Mac 5K controlled with a 12.9" iPad Pro, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X WD 6TB Red drives.
Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll
Alex.

3 Likes

Final destination for me for a good, long while I think.

Bryston BDP-1USB endpoint - solid and stable (even if it takes three or four minutes to put itself in Roon Ready mode out of standby.

Marantz NA-11S1 as USB DAC. Okay, it’s also a streamer - a uPnP/DLNA one which is of no use to me, but the sound is exquisite. Feel like I’m getting my digital delicacy that I love with the depth and grunt of a similar level to high end vinyl (to my ears anyway). Lovely low level detail resolution - spatial / ambience stuff that I don’t feel I’ve heard before then - whoop / crunch and impact.

The Chord Qutest I tried sounded a little heavy and a little bright by comparison (especially without using its HF roll off filter) - it was entertaining but felt a little over-hyped (again, to my ears).

Internet radio, Airplay and Spotify connect are proving to be useful on the Marantz. Back on Spotify for occasional / preview / casual and mobile listening. I suddenly got really OCD about rented Tidal albums having equal status with my owned collection. I’m a strange fellow at times.

1 Like

I love my totem tribe towers.

1 Like

In my opinion, Roon has been the saviour of Devialet. Indeed, I think it would be in Devialet’s interest to sell the Devialet Expert range with a Roon licence as an option - for those who don’t already have it.

I had a some issues with Devialet Air - but Roon Air (the Devialet work around) simply works, and with the latest software and firmware upgrades (both Roon and Devialet), the last few niggles seem to have disappeared entirely. To me Devialet sounds ‘natural’ and I find it wonderful for Classical music (my main interest).

By the way - my set-up even now works well with wifi, with Roon Air - even though, I normally use an Ethernet connection.

Danny- are the totems mounted on the wall? two channel HT?

I use the IKEA Besta range as well. With mine I got some 25mm MDF tops cut slightly bigger than the unit itself. They still await painting, but even in raw form they look a bit different, and the weight helps I’m sure.

If I had the money (and wasn’t contemplating a move) I’d look into slate or maybe even marble. That might require a bit of strengthening, but a brace on the rear would be easy. Nor would you see it if, like my MDF, they were 45cm deep (it gives me room to hide the cables)

no, the Tribe Towers are floor standers… https://totemacoustic.com/en/tribe-tower

very thin and tall

1 Like

Probably put a pair of these babies in the spare room. Maybe Bose speakers?

1 Like

My Rock.

2 Likes

What is the case? The innards? Did someone make this for you, or was it offered somewhere?

Iz is TranquilPC case, but unfortunatley they dont make them anymore.

Looks like a Tranquil PC Abel H2. :slightly_smiling_face:
I have the same with a gen 4 NUC.

I think that mine is also 4th generation, but still works really good. Today installed Rock on test, instead of Windows 10.

You,d better trademark that!

Surely that should read “Because” not “Cause”.

• Core: ASUS GL552JX with SSD, Audiophile Optimizer
• Bridge: Ropieee(Pi3B)
• DAC: M2TECH Young MkIII
• LPS: 1 HDPLEX 200W for DAC, Bridge & Gigabit switch; 1 for ASUS GL552JX
• Pre: Canary Audio C700
• Pow: Berendsen STA-150SE
• Speakers: Odeon Elektra S

Comfy sound, very close to analog. :slightly_smiling_face:

15 Likes

Nice setup :+1:
I have Odeon No 38/2 and Odeon Midas and I had Odeon No 32
Did you ever try to drive them with tube amps?
For me, there is no contest to tube amps when it comes to driving horn speakers :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you @Christoph,

I think you’re an “Odeon expert”. :wink: Yeah I tried to drive Elektra S by Air Tight ATM-1S, and even ATM-211 (with pre Air Tight) mid and high were awesome, but bass was not enough for my taste. I love jazz and classic rock, so tube pre + solid state pow = satisfy me. I heard 38/2, driven by pre pow Jadis, great sound!

Cheers.

1 Like

I have very good succes with KR Audio and Aries Cerat amps to drive “the shit” out of those Odeons. Unfortunately I have never tried AirTight gear.
I much prefer KR Audio and Aries Cerat over my hybrid Class A Lamm M1.1 monos on horn speakers.
Really seems to be a matter of taste I guess :thinking:

1 Like

Roon Core running on Pink Faun 2.16 - only a week old but sounding pretty good!

Front-end, PS Audio BHK signature preamp, M700 monos, Ascend Acoustics Sierra 2. Closet-able room treatments.

8 Likes