Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

My setup right now.

8 Likes

Ha. No I haven’t but I’ll definitely try it now. Thanks for the recommendation.

1 Like

It’s a real shame you seem not to like much bass! :flushed:

System

Roon Server is on a windows 10 PC in another room.

2 Likes

Vented but not reflex.
4x15inch BD-Design woofers per channel driven by 2xParasound A21 through a Rod Elliott crossover with analog EQ
The original Avantgarde basshorns are to expensive for my wallet, have heard them a number of times though and i honestly think my setup sounds better :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the info.
Vented but not reflex? Something like Onken or similar?
How high up do your subs play? 100hz?
Enjoy your awesome system :+1:

Similar yes :slight_smile:
The basspeakers start at 140hz and goes down to around 25hz.
Have a couple of SVS tube subwoofers in the rear corners that takes over from there and downwards to around 16hz. But they are almost only used when i watch movies :slight_smile:

2 Likes

What is the case for the pi screen and what else is inside as its huge.

It is a Streacom FC12 chassi and inside is PSU for Pi (I use a exterrnal 230/12Vdc PSU and inside is a 12/5Vdc PSU for Pi), some other stuff for 12Vdc triggercontrol of the DAC and amplifier (the powerbutton on the Streacom chassi switches on and off all devices). One of the SR4 PSU and the SOtM sMS-200ultra is also inside the chassi.

FC12

1 Like

Nice work. So did you have to cut out the hole yourself for the touchscreen?

Simon, there is a great company based in Italy called http://www.hifi2000.it/

They have a great range of cases and will CNC holes and cutouts to your specification. I used them for this project 603ebf1a2ac7e3930ce570009b3fcecc6191e6be_1_690x352

The cost was around 70 euros, that included the case, the CNC work and shipping to the UK.
Nick

4 Likes

Yes I cut out the hole by my self.

I’ve had such a modest setup not worth showing off here but I recently splurged (not nearly as most of you have :stuck_out_tongue:) but certainly for me on a Woo Audio WA7 “Fireflies” DAC/AMP with the tube power supply (WA7tp).

Roon installed in my office PC streaming over WiFi to an iPad endpoint.

Cheers!

17 Likes

Nice glow :+1: So you connect the DAC/AMP combo to the iPad via USB? And use the iPad also as control? Do you only use the headphones, or do you have also speakers connected?

1 Like

Cool thanks Nick will check them out.

IT GEEKS REPRESENT! :smile:

This is my Roon Server setup. My day job, I am in IT, and have all my server equipment at home in a 42U rack in my computer room (and yes, the rack makes a TON of noise from all the fans – hence why it is squirreled away). I didn’t much consider going the NUC route, as my requirements include 1) rack mount and 2) remote management (e.g., the Dell iDRAC, HP iLO, etc) since the rack is isolated away. The Dell R230 is the babiest of Dell rack mount servers these days. The CPU in it (a Xeon E3-1270v6) is reasonably equivalent to a Core i7-7700 except it uses ECC RAM. Testing DSD512 upsampling on it, when run single core, it’s at like 1.1-1.2x performance while enabling multi-core takes that up to around 3.5x. I don’t typically do massively intense DSP under normal use, but this CPU should handle a zone or two of it when needed. For normal playback without heavy DSP, it will easily handle any number of zones. The 32GB RAM is excessive for ROON, but is the result from ensuring all memory channels on the Xeon CPU are active. But it works out as extra filesystem cache for Roon, which I figure helps isolate Roon from my use of the NAS to store my music library, and from the use of spinning rust instead of SSDs for Roon’s own internal metadata library. In many ways, I equate this server spec to a slightly more powerful Nucleus+ at nearly the same cost (about $100 difference), but rackmount and fanfull… And probably a bit more thirsty, too: based on readings from the UPS it is plugged into, it pulls around 50W on average.

The Synology NAS serves quite a number of things, and has its RAM maxed out at 64GB. In synthetic benchmarks, I get ~960MB/s reads and ~850MB/s writes to it from other 10GB-enabled client systems (like my iMac Pro).

(Not shown is the MS350-24X enterprise-class switch that both the Roon Core server and the Synology NAS are connected to.)

8 Likes

Love it. :smiley:

For good measure – here’s my server room:

Synology DS718+ w/ 6GB RAM and 2x4TB RAID1, external M.2 SSD on top, 4TB backup disk, Cubox (gatekeeper) and a Netgear GS105 decidedly unmanaged switch.

It serves up data, backs up locally with versioning and syncs to the cloud (Backblaze B2).

Oh – and it runs Roon. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Did you run out of wall paint? :wink:

4 Likes

Hehe… It’s a weird kind of walk-in storage room in the middle of the house. One of the few places I have not touched – I kind of like its unfinished feel. :smiley:

3 Likes

Done and done.