Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

The Raspberry Pi boxes are a fascinating option. They really will bring high quality streaming to multiple zones within everyone’s reach.

If you are intending on multi-zone streaming or using HQPlayer when it is integrated, then you might want to up the spec for the Roonserver machine

I’m looking at two concurrent streams, worse case unless the dogs start listening! :wink: Would an i5/2.7GHz NUC be more in line?

This thread, and the link within it to Brian’s post, will give you a sense of the hardware requirements now and going forward. I understand that two streams isn’t very different from one. Two streams transcoded on the fly by HQPlayer, however, could be processor intensive:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/what-are-the-minimum-hardware-requirements/103

I am confused by C_J_Wilson’s second photo. Why is there a photo of carefully arranged watches, sunglasses, a folding knife, set of keys and other odd items?

2 Likes

Sorry for the confusion :sweat_smile:

I was just showing some of the other gear to be used in the bedroom setup (Mac Mini > Sprout > JBL Monitors).
The pic was old and was taken as an entry for a PS Audio contest.
Removed to prevent any further confusion. :wink:

1 Like

I so much wanted you to explain to @extracampine the SQ benefits that can flow from such items and how he should commence his own collection :smile:

Wait…do you mean that placing watches near your equipment can actually improve the SQ?? Does it improve the timing or something?

3 Likes

Only if it’s a manual winder. Those automatic watches are rubbish at SQ.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Some advice on improving a Roon set-up

OK, interesting to read some other setups, mine is perhaps a little different in terms of the playback gear but here goes:

iMac 27" Retina 5K with 24GB RAM, 1TB Fusion HD plus External LaCie drives for Music Storage.
Grace Design m905 Monitor Controller/DAC (Essentially a pre-amp/DAC, pro grade)
Neumann KH310 Power Studio Monitors (3 way active speakers)

This system offers amazing detail and dynamics. The m905 specs are ridiculous, outperforms most hi-fi DACs that I have had in my system that cost twice as much. Very happy with this setup.

I have a fairly simple set up right now.

RoonServer on a self build PC (core i7 5930k overclocked to 4.3Ghz , 32Gb RAM, Asus X99 Deluxe Mobo)
Windows 10 Pro
itunes library is also on this PC and secondary M.2 SSD holds ripped CD’s in lossless.

Endpoint 1
Same PC as the RoonServer install above is also a remote
PC is connected via SPDIF to an Audioengine D1 DAC and onto Audioengine powered speakers
Headphones used on this PC are simple mobile ones - Sennheiser Momentum over ear.

Endpoint 2
Wife’s PC in the same room is a remote - she only uses headphones through an Audioengine D3 DAC. Her headphones are Audio Technica ATH-MSR7’s (finally managed to persuade her to drop the Beats Studio monstrosities she was subjecting herself to)

Endpoint 3
Dining Room - Cambridge Audio Azur 640A connected to Mordaunt Short speakers, connected via Airplay (airport express wired via homeplug)

Endpoint 4
Kitchen - Harmon Kardon Aura Airplay speaker

Endpoint 5
Master bedroom Sony Amp with cheapish Sony speakers connected via Airplay (airport express via wifi)

Standalone remotes:
Ipad mini
Dell XPS 13 (latest) - playing via its speakers its also a mobile endpoint and sounds surprisingly good (for a laptop!) through headphones and no external DAC.

I will very shortly be updating all the endpoints and investing in some higher end open backed headphones - though not decided on what yet.
I will likely leave RoonServer on the main PC as it’s such a high end build and rock solid. Might change my mind if one of those shiny new RoonServer apliances takes my fancy.

3 Likes

@jayrammusic: no appliance is going to come close to the performance of your custom built pc. stick with it :slight_smile:

You’ve already done it for the most part, but focus on getting your audio away from the electrical storm that is happening in that PC. RoonBridge (formerly known as RoonSpeakers) and RoonReady endpoints should get you there.

As for open headphones, @brian and I love the Sennheiser HD600/HD650 – I also own the HD800, but the HD600 is the set I love. Get a good amp for them – it’ll be better than most speakers out there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For headphones I’ve never heard anything to take on the Grado PS1000’s - but they are VERY open back - your friends better like what your listening to!

I looked at the Grado PS1000’s and did a bit of research on them but not listened to them yet. If and when I do they would have to really blow me away compared to the HD800’s. In the UK, you canpick up HD800’s for £800, whilst the PS1000’s are over £1500

Thanks for that, yes I will likely be leaving RoonServer on my PC. Its always on anyway.
I have made some improvement to my first endpoint (same PC as server) by switching to USB audio output into the external DAC (instead of spdif). I read the thread on here that explained that spdif output still used the internal PC clock.

I think I finally settled on my main listening room set up, but would appreciate some feedback from those that know more than I.

Main Room:

Wired connection to Sonore SonicOrbiter SE
SE into Mytek Brooklyn DAC via USB
Mytek into Cambridge Audio Azur 851A via balanced XLR
Cambridge Audio driving Tannoy XT6F speakers in 2.0 (no sub)
Headphones HD800

It’s not top end but my total budget for the main room is £5k so I cant go down the Meridian level route.

I have listened to the Cambridge Audio and the HD800s but not the Mytek. I currently have an old Cambridge Audio 640A and I like the CA sound a lot so want to stick to the brand. In terms of the HD800s I find them to be so clear and detailed compared to anything I have listened to for the same money. the Mytek choice is a bit of a punt as I have not heard it, but want an MQA DAC and Mytek reviews generally sound encouraging.

There is also the option of going for the Cambridge Audio 851W power amp instead of the 851A and using the preamp in the Mytek.

My main room is about 16ft by 12ft. The music I listen is very varied (like most I guess), though not a fan of huge bass and any base has to be tight.

The rest of my house is going to be one box speaker/amp solutions (another 4 zones), but yet to decide on those.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Computer Noise - Affect on Audio Quality

6 Likes

Of course it’s not necessary to have a lava lamp on when browsing Roon, but why wouldn’t you ?

6 Likes

This thread needs a revival – I’m sure there’s lots more nice Roon setups around…

Here’s my current setup (slightly in flux, hence the loose cabling at the TV):

(Meridian DSP5200, AEX, MiniDSP Dirac Live DRC, Raspberry PI w/ Digi+, Logitech Ultimate Hub, ATV3, Cable Box, DSP5200).

The room looks like this (while taking measurements):

And for those quiet, late night listening moments:

(AKG K550 with Pi3 / IQ Audio Pi-DAC+)

Bedroom (no pics, sorry ;-)): Cubox i1 / Meridian F80

The Roon shelf in the storage room:

(Time Capsule, 2TB backup disk, NUC i5 16GB / 128GB NVME SSD, 2TB data disk)

6 Likes