Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021-04 .. 2021-09]

@LVWasHere - my new cabinet won’t be here for a few more weeks. I did go to a local dealer to check out the cabinet before I ordered it. They had a 3-door unit in use with gear in it that had been running for 5 hours before I arrived. With the back off and ventilated bottom shelf the interior was not hot. I did order all of the shelves ventilated just to add a bit more airflow. If it does end up being warm from future mono blocks, I will add temp controlled fans… as long as they are very quiet. I didn’t get a chance to hear Salamander’s fans, but I will cross that bridge only if necessary.

As an absolute last resort I thought I could have slatted doors made from walnut that would look similar to my current BDI cabinet.

Also, there’s these fans, I have used something similar in the past. I like these since they exhaust to the rear.
AC Infinity AIRCOM T8, Quiet… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LW1Q429?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

1 Like

Hello - pretty simple setup for me. All second-hand, much like everything in this house… A rather empty cabinet since I’m abandoning vinyl and CD’s, committing to Roon and trying ever-so-hard to stick with the less-is-more angle.

Medody SP3 MKII integrated
Denafrips Ares II
Raspberry Pi 4 (ethernet)
Image 412 speakers (not sure if they’re staying)
A smattering of Supra cabling.

I have moved the Technics SB-E200’s to the bedroom as there was too much sun on the rosewood and I don’t want the wood to get damaged. I am missing the ‘scale’ of the sound though so they’ll not doubt be back in the living room soon… Many speakers have come and gone but the Technics will likely be buried with me :slight_smile:

Roon core is in the garage. An old IBM ThinkCentre I picked up for 80 NZD. i5-4460, 8gb, Win 10 Pro plus 3TB external drive for the library.

I have a small Schiit stack in the bedroom for headphone listening but I think that’ll be for sale very soon as I move to simply my phone plus a DragonFly Red.

Good day, from more than likely the other side of the world.

30 Likes

I have the silver Onix SP3 tube integrated with all NOS tubes… I won’t ever get rid of it. Such a great integrated.

4 Likes

@Vincent_Kennedy - thanks for the info! Keep us posted as I’m looking to get a new cabinet towards the end of May.

1 Like

@LVWasHere - I was discussing the cabinet with my wife last night. Both of us are a little concerned about having all of the shiny glass right in front of our listening positions. We’ve decided that if we don’t like the look we’ll have four slatted doors made from walnut similar to the doors on the BDI. There’s really nothing fancy about the doors. Standard cabinet hinges with a soft close. We’ve had quite a bit of custom cabinetry done for us over the years. We estimate that it will cost approximately $250 per door.

Kevin,

What’s your experience with the Spatials? Have you been listening to them using both solid state and tube amps?
BTW, I like your approach to listening to music. Kudos!

1 Like

I moved to the spatials from maggie’s which were also superb but we’re power hungry beasts, the spatial are easier to drive and very forgiving on placement and room.
Used both Tube ( BAT) and SS ( Ayre and Mark Levinson)
For vinyl I prefer the ss amps tbh

1 Like

Cheers Kevin

BDI Corridor

1 Like

Vincent,
You are the only person that I have heard complain about this, but thanks anyway, I shall keep an eye open for it.
Im not sure im up for a cabinet change, or is that for someone else, you left me a little confused?

Hi @alex_wood - I think this may be because many others don’t want to put as much gear into one of these BDI cabinets as I do. The BDI wasn’t designed for this type of implementation.

Since the center of the cabinet isn’t useable, another issue is cable length. Instead of running short .75M, 1M, and 1.5M cables, I need to run 2M cables to connect everything. That was an unforecasted cost when I first spec’d out the BDI.

I’m happy with my Frankenstein system

29 Likes

My Hifi-corner:

With hidden in the right hand cabinet;

Under 2 DionAudio class D monoblocks:

My “Frankenstein-streamer”:

Roon Core via ROCK on a NUC, put in a fanless housing and connected to an external PSU.
And then directly connected via USB to the Bryston BDA-3 dac.

I can also use the Oppo 203 as a Roon endpoint (also connected to the Bryston dac), but despite current consensus/preference among hifi-enthusiasts for streaming via a separate endpoint, I myself think the direct usb-connection gives the best audio quality…

20 Likes

A not-so-slight upgrade to the home office that was bound to happen eventually:

34 Likes

Nice.

Chuck a big sealed sub under the desk for legit full range reproduction, blend everything together with Dirac Live 3 (or similar) and you’ll never want to leave the home office :smiley:

1 Like

Hehe… I’ve got a pair of LS50 Wireless II in the living room with a KC62 sub – that’s what makes for a happy journey downstairs by the end of the day. That – and KEF is pretty good with in-app DSP and sub integration these days. I’ve dabbled with Dirac before – but I’m pretty happy with where I am, currently. :smiley:

5 Likes

Nice. I go way back with LS50’s.

I owned passive LS50’s when they first came out. I had an SVS sub under the desk driven, all connected to a Peachtree Nova 220se integrated. Back then I blended everything by ear and loved it but there’s better ways to integrate multiple boxes these days. As you say KEF do a good job with LS50W2s.

I’m getting a pair of passive LS50s again and will by-pass their internal passive crossover and will do software DSP crossover with sub under the desk again. But done better this time.

With advanced DSP (Audiolense XO) will be a fun exercise to see how close I can get both measured and subjective performance to my Genelec 8341’s at my desk…

Should be fun… :crazy_face:

3 Likes

HECK WITH THE STEREO, i LIKE THE DOG ! :grinning:

2 Likes

Got rid of my older HTPC and upgraded to a M1 Mac Mini for roon core and new HTPC. Mac Mini M1, 8GB, 256GB. Cambridge 851N. Emotiva A300. Furman PF15i Elite. Focal Chora 826. Still trying to get roon on this new Apple OS to recognize my Synology NAS music library for some reason I can’t add it as a source I get an “unauthorized” message even though the credentials are right.

12 Likes

Fixed the NAS access I changed the NAS user name to include no spaces and the password to contain no special characters. After this it worked.

3 Likes