Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

As far as I am concerned, with the pictures a few posts up with the Naim system: When I searched for new speakers, I was prepared to install room treatment and expected to. However, it turned out differently.

After listening to most suitable speakers in the price range for which I could reasonably arrange an audition in Berlin, and not being entirely happy with any of them, someone recommended Sehring Audio to me. They never advertise and it’s mostly a word-of-mouth thing, though there are some reviews mostly on German sites, e.g. fairaudio.de and image-hifi.com

Sehring Audio customizes the speakers from the workshop and then the designer, Stefan Sehring, adapts them in detail to the room with crossover changes and some dials that affect aspects of the bass response. In addition, my room is quite large and has a high ceiling, and they have lots of room around them; indirect sound has sufficient delay from all walls and ceiling vs direct sound. There are also bookshelves etc. on several walls that are not in the pictures.

Stefan, the speaker designer, was here 3 times, first for delivery and initial setup, then two more times after run-in, for crossover etc. adjustments and fine-tuning of setup. Besides designing home speakers, he does a lot of studio work including treatment and has been at it professionally for 30 years. He also performs detailed measurements if necessary.

His verdict after the third visit was that it’s great and he doesn’t see a need to install a thing. And it is fabulous to my ears as well, and who am I to contradict him. :slightly_smiling_face:

There’s just two problem areas. One is a room mode slightly below 40 Hz, but it doesn’t bother me much because not much is happening there outside of some electronic and organ music, none of which are my staples. And anyway there is nothing you can do about such a low-frequency mode except active bass traps - maybe in the future.

The other is a resonance from the window panes which adds up because they are all the same size and there are 10 of them (2 more windows with 2 panes each to the left of what you see in the pictures). It’s not super bad but audible once you know what to listen for. Stefan will treat this one of these days by putting little damping pads into the window pane corners.

The setup and adjustment is part of Sehring’s speaker price. I have the additional advantage that the workshop is just a few minutes from the apartment, so he was/is happy to pop over when I wanted to try some changes. (He’s also happy to leave a bag of crossover parts with different values and show you what to do; the crossover can be popped out at the back and the relevant parts can be changed without soldering)

For anyone in Germany (and I believe they have started expanding to cover more of Europe) I can only warmly recommend them. Website is www.sehring-audio.com. Currently only in German and not entirely up to date (my Curved variant is not there yet as it’s a rather recent add-on development that adds some minor improvements), but it translates nearly nperfectly to English if you plop the URL into Google Translate. (A new website is in the works, but he isn’t in a hurry as he has enough orders to keep him and a few more guys in the workshop busy, anyway).

He’s been developing the new current models for 5 years and he’ll continue doing so. The speakers are built from a modular concept, each of the three boxes you see in the pic is a separate module (but they are connected internally, so the 3 bass drivers work off a common volume that extends through the whole speaker. The tweeter/mids unit is isolated in a separate compartment). It’s possible to change and upgrade the speaker later, so you could, e.g., start with a bookshelf speaker and later add bass modules.

The next development step is going to be some further cabinet stabilization in the back of the speaker cabinet, which can be optionally added on the outside. In parallel he’s working on an upgraded tweeter/mids unit that will feature a beryllium and probably a diamond tweeter to choose from, and a new cost-no-objective crossover model (while the current one falls into the “still reasonable” bracket). He expects this to be finished in one or two years.

Due to the modular concept, it will then be possible to exchange the tweeter/mids module and the crossover for an exchange price. He always takes back the modules you have and returns them into the production loop, i.e. they get repainted etc. and are reused as-new. It’s part of an eco-conscious system that also includes the workshop being energy-independent through solar panels on the roof, and sourcing as much as possible from Germany (everything except the speaker chassis, currently).

Oops, this turned out longer and later in the night than I had intended. If I’m sounding like a customer who is over the moon, it’s because I still am. (I’ve owned them since November)

10 Likes