Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

It’s day 2 with it for me. I’ve never used HQ Player…so I’m unable to answer.

Lost the VU meters when I sold my MC352. I relied on them to judge loudness. Now I use a stand alone loudness meter and have surprised myself by not listening loud enough and missing some of the enjoyment from time to time. Now I have it sitting next to my iPad while listening to Roon. FYI 75 to approximately 80 or so db in my room.

Same here. :slight_smile:

Is it any wonder that many manufacturers avoid VU meters at all costs since the track record for audio equipment featuring VU meters is not so great.
Logitech Squeezeboxen - alas no more
The wonderful Oppo HA-1 headphone amplifier - no longer made

8 Likes

Nice gear…no speakers? What’s the headphone amp? I do like changing cables…big believer here from speakers to headphones. For endgame NUC replacement, may I suggest Antipodes’ K50 (Server-Player-Reclocker) Roon server included of course…as well as HQ Player…K Series - Antipodes. Since your Holo doesn’t upsample very well…and I have never found HQ Player to be friendly enough for my engineering trained brain…I would consider GRIMM MU1. I sold the Antipodes when I decided to reduce my boxes and went back to NUC and a Lumin X1. Now I’m considering the DD 8c to reduce boxes even more.

Found a P50 on eBay and now it’s an all Topping place on the shelf behind my sofa (E/L/P 50s). The P also powers the RoPieee so it helps to reduce cables and wall warts. Can’t say I really hear a difference but it’s one nice looking PS. It’s definitely more the looks. :see_no_evil:

1 Like

Probably worth posting in ”Tinkering” where you’re likely to get more practical responses/suggestions…

Thanks again for the advice. Tinkering is a very good description of where I’m at.

1 Like

Headphone amp is an Audio-GD Master 9 Dean. My speaker system is in another room. Aeries Mini with Auralic PSU, original Auralic Vega DAC, Accuphase 212 integrated amp and Totem Arro speakers. Not in the same league as the headphone system but sounds okay. Might sell it to help fund a better server. The Grimm server looks a beauty, but it’s a little out of my price range at the moment. Love tinkering with cables too, but it can drive you mad. You listen so hard for changes to the sound and forget to enjoy the music. That’s why I went high-end with the headphone cable, nothing to tinker with any more. You’ve had some fantastic kit pass through your hands, but I get the less boxes though.

Nice turntable. I have the wood version. What cartridge do you use?

The center speaker is for 5-channel; currently disconnected.

15 Likes

Thank you. I enjoy it. The wood one is lovely. I use the Hana SH cartridge. What about you?

I use the clear audio concept mc cart. It’s their medium level cartridge; adding USD2k I think. Still trying to figure out if I should try something else for my classical and jazz listening. In any case, maybe later. My boss wife wouldn’t approve the expense report.

1 Like

Topping Action…

19 Likes

Great Canadian speakers those Totems Eh :slight_smile: I recently added a ZMF(Aeolus) headphone with a Bottlehead Crack tube amp; and I now see (hear) why so many people are into headphones…A lot more bang for the same bucks relative to speakers for sure…and no room issues to worry about. I tweaked with the Nordost Heimdall 2 and ZMF’s own silver headphone cables. Fyi…There is a headphone tread as well…“Show Us Your Cans” or something like that…like here, it is entertaining and inspiring.

If you currently have your NUC going directly to you Holo May via USB…Keep the NUC as your Roon Core/Server (adding a Nucleus+ is a sideway move)…and disconnect the USB to your DAC. Instead get a streamer transport and connect via USB or I2S(hdmi) to the DAC (Holo May). Streamer transports like Lumin U2 or Auralic or even the lower cost Silent Angel Streamer Transport (which is great and has a great I2S output) will take you to the doorsteps of endgame digital source. You can tinker with changing power supply on these transports as well.

Happy and healthy listening in 2023 to all.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Dean. My NUC is attached to a Sonore streaming system and I’ve just ordered a Singxer SU6 as Jos at Magna HiFi says using I2S will make the system sound better. Bottlehead Crack sounds interesting. I’ll get onto the Headphone thread soon. Happy New Year.

I have the same Townsend stands under my MBL’s they provide excellent isolation of bass through the floor.

3 Likes

Yep they truly helped the sound. Clarity was amazing and immediately obvious

Continues here folks!
Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2023] - Roon Software Discussion - Roon Labs Community