Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

All ok, no panic here. Just having that old school thinking that a heat sink is meant to dissipate heat to the environment not with another heat sink.

As long everything runs cool you are fine :wink:

1 Like

i have a similar arrangement, and experience, albeit with lesser Focals…

…it all sounds fantastic, like yuge open backed headphones.

17 Likes

A true financial rabbit hole…lol
Been there.
But……possibly the best sq I have ever experienced in my rig……

1 Like

I have a Revox A700 but it’s too big for where I want to put it. Thinking I’ll go with a Pioneer RT-707. The A700 may have to find new parents.

1 Like

I had two rt-707.
Fantastic decks, the second one had been completely refurbished throughout, cost a decent penny but it was worth it IMHO.
Loved the compact form factor too.

Sort of sorry to see them go but r2r is possibly more upkeep than a TT.

3 Likes

Completely unorganised chaos, but it’s loud and good.

17 Likes

Sweet. :sunglasses::sunglasses::sunglasses: What model are you running and what powers them? I had a pair of Chorus 807 bookshelf speakers for years and always loved the sound.

1 Like

Awesome poster above the couch :+1:t2:

1 Like

You can’t see it, but my names on that poster. :sunglasses:

4 Likes

Mine used to be on the back of a few West Midlands bus seats when I was young…,.,
Don’t do it kids.

3 Likes

1028 be, powered by an icon audio ST40 mkiii, with KT77 output tubes. Roon playback is from a Gold Note DS-10.

It’s glorious to look at and listen too.

2 Likes

https://www.ballfinger.de/tape-recorder-m-063-h5

10 Likes

I moved some of my gear further down the side wall, as in all the way to the back of the wall. The dust hasn’t settled yet and the speakers/subs may end up moving some more (maybe moving the subs inboard to see how that deals with room modes and such). Now that the front of the room is a lot more symmetrical, there’s a definite improvement in stage width and imaging which I knew would happen. It’s just that when we moved in, I just kind of threw things in the room and went with it for a while.

However, now that the front of the room is sorted so to speak, there’s a lot more flexibility in playing with speaker/sub placement to get things really dialed in. Not to mention that this also prepares the room better for some room acoustic treatments a little later down the road.

I have to say, SVS has come a long, long, LONG way in the musicality department since the days of my old PB12-ISD/2 and PB12-Plus/2 subs. They were great for movies, but for music?.. Forget it. Slow, sluggish, heavy sounding with music. Definitely not so with these new PB-1000 Pro’s. Tight, agile, crisp!

Anywho, on with a few pics. And yes, that one of the audio rack and timer, that’s 4:50am! Sucks when you can’t sleep half the time.

20 Likes

You might also try an asymmetrical sub placement. REW has a room simulator. I don’t know how accurate it is but it can be fun to quickly move things around in software and see the modeled response curve change.

1 Like

Thanks for the weekly update, Charles.

2 Likes

The latest system update is saying goodbye to my much loved Chord Hugo TT DAC and hello to the really amazing Holo Audio May KTE DAC.

I’ve been looking for a true NOS DAC for some time. I now just feed it an HQPlayer signal and voila!

It sounded fantastic new out of the box and I’m now approaching 350 hours of burn in and it’s getting better and better and better. It really is the the finest sounding DAC I have owned.

The bottom box is the separate PSU with dual transformers, one for each channel. The brains on top features a dual mono system with a separate DAC for each channel as well.

Equipment
Naim NAP 200 DR Power Amp
Naim NAC 202 Preamp
Holo Audio May KTE DAC
PMC Twenty 26 Speakers
Sonore UltraRendu Streamer
Chord English Electric 8 Switch
Teddy Pardo TeddyCap Plus
Hackintosh Roon Core & HQPlayer
Apple iPad Pro 12.9"
Sony WH-1000XM3 Headphones

Power & Cabling
Chord Epic Speaker Cable
Chord Bi-Wire Jumpers
Chord Shawline RCA to 5 Pin DIN
Chord Shawline USB
Chord Shawline Streaming Cables
Chord Epic Streaming Cable
Russ Andrews PowerBar 8 Socket
Russ Andrews Yello Mains Power Cables

Furniture
Atacama Evoque Natural Bamboo 3 Tier Units

27 Likes

Along with all the old chewing gum!

1 Like

Nice system! I just added one additional change before my UltraRendu and May KTE which was a fiber rather than an ethernet switch and was amazed that I got even more out of the already amazing May DAC! :wink:

1 Like

Thanks, I’m upgrading the UltraRendu to OpticalRendu once the May is burned in. Please can you let me know which fibre switch you’re using. I don’t know if that would be compatible with my router. Cheers, Mark

Mark: I’m using the Cisco SG350 series switches because I wanted the ability to use managed switches for the rest of my network and Jussi helped me get the flow control and other settings right for HQ Player, so it is not an audiophile specific switch but I have the wole system set up for Gigabit fiber. I will probably make the same move to go with an Optical Rendu so I don’t need another switch between my computer and the Rendu/DAC, but it was great to see just how big the difference was in going from ethernet to fiber on that last leg.

2 Likes