Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

conscious decluttering ftw.

The media/living room remodel is finished, finally, after 4 months of daily activity for this old retired couple. Moved the furniture back in yesterday and trying different arrangements. Its a chore.

Working on the media closet now getting the system setup in a new tall 35U rack. The audio video system cabling in the walls and ceiling is for a 7.4.4 speaker/sub arrangement with fiber cable capacity for up to 12K displays on the viewing wall. I’m limited to 2 subs but have options for the best setup. Will take a few days to find everything and get it all dialed in. Photos will be coming, soon I hope.

2 Likes

Twelve thousand displays certainly would need a lot of cables. Would one big one not be better?

5 Likes

:rofl: Attempt at Future proofing. Have a 4k 65 inch display now, 8K’s are already available and 12k’s are coming. Wanted to be ready. Standard copper high speed HDMI cables are supposed to have up to 18gbps capacity, Ultra High speed have 48gbps capacity for short distances, maybe 15 feet. These fiber cables have 1.2 terabits per second capacity each for long runs. Ran 3 of them for future proofing. 2 by 12’s in the walls between the studs provides the support structure for a 100 inch display. Hope I still remember it’s there if/when the time comes.

2 Likes

Personally, I think the future is wireless. I did my TV last year during a complete rebuild. The TV cables (power and 2xHDMI) are fed through a pipe buried in the wall to the cupboard to the right hand side of the picture below, where I have my Satellite box and an Apple TV. I can pull through cables using one of those drain unblocker reels.

Of the 3 lights above the TV, 2 of them are speakers (go to 40Hz -6dB). In fact each light is a complete Roon Ready 75w 24/192 audio system. For movies there are 7 speakers in use (the 2 pictured, 2 level with the seating position and 3 behind the seating position). The sound is sent by AirPlay.

I ran a dedicated power line from the consumer unit (Belden 19361), two ethernet cables (CAT8 and fibre) from the modem and the satellite cables come from outside. No more wiring needed, other than connecting 24v transformers to the lighting ring.

p.s. Although the AV installation was easy peasy, what happened before was a little more involved. The TV is where the silver socket was on the wall.

24 Likes

Seems it was a lot of work, but well worth it :+1:

Nice and clean. I like it a lot. I think that room needs the Samsung “The Frame” TV with a teak frame and endless high rez art cycling when the display is not used for TV/Movies.

I am humbled. That is a lot of work.

It’s an LG Frame TV! I tried the artwork, it’s a bit naff in reality.

These things do Bluetooth sound, which I tried to my speaker/lights, but it was rubbish and out of sync. Only have sync adjustment with LG audio devices. They like to tie you in to their brand.

1 Like

Don’t know what ‘naff’ means, but there’s this -

Crap + ten

4 Likes

That was only a bit of it. Pretty much rebuilt everything, except for the roof. I think the most important thing to future-proof these days is to put in plenty of ethernet cables for wired access points. I have about 70 devices connected wirelessly, no issues at all. I found Mesh to be a bit useless, due to loss of signal and delay. I can happily use Roon to play 24/192 files wirelessly on 20 Roon Ready devices at the same time. I use Ubiquiti, brilliant software and very reasonable prices.

That is an entirely accurate description of Bluetooth sound from LG TV. Compared to AirPlay it sounds like listening with your head submerged in the bath.

2 Likes

Got ROON/Rock on a NUC only since a couple of weeks. Wish I had done it soooner, great interface.
Signal from main setup travels from Rock via LAN to MiniDSPshd pre to three tube-amps. And via sonos to two solid state amps.

19 Likes

At first I thought you were really into washing machines.

20 Likes

I likely match your number of wireless devices. I have Roon/Qobuz connected via ethernet and although AT&T says I have a 1GB download, it is actually abut 350MB. Qobuz skips songs, moves to the next song midway through the last. I can briefly stop this from occurring by rebooting the Auralic G2 streamer. Since I am a short timeframe listener, I come up with Solution: I play music that is on my external hard drive or play a (n SA)CD.

Back on topic, your installation seems to be a very rewarded adventure.

It really shouldn’t, because even with my comparatively lowly nominal 50Mbit line I can faultlessly stream Qobuz 192kHz/24bit … something else stinks here, I’m sure!

2 Likes

Too funny that it actually is The Frame. I thought it was a neat idea. Nice to get some real world feedback.

I don’t understand this stuff too well. This is what mine says and I don’t have any problems streaming anything, ever. 72mbps seems like a lot less than 350mb. I thought music was a no-brainer compared to steaming films. Am I missing something?

1 Like

An opinion & experience I totally agree with, Two different mesh network systems with similarly poor performance.

:+1:t4: