Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2021 .. 2022]

Always love to see peoples setup as it inspires me to develop my own dedicated space which is currently WIP.
Currently have Intel NUC (ROON) → Denafrips Pontus II → Arcam FMJ A49 → used Sonus Fabre Olympica I.
I’d be interested to know what you’re using as your TV Remote extension App though. Currently researching TV/Monitor for NUC ROON display.

Hi Geoff.
If you are looking at options to Display what is playing on Roon, There are 2 options

1. Ropieee on an Raspberry Pi with Original Raspberry Pi Display.
    2 Or better, Released just now, RooExtend on Raspberry Pi to display on any 4 K screen
  2. Ofcourse you can always not get any more hardware and just display on your TV using Chromecast of browser

There’s also an Apple TV app connect the Apple TV to you TV and remote control / display

Thanks for your response Suresh,

RooExtend products look interesting. I suspect that means I need to apply “DSP Volume” instead of “Fixed Volume” in Device Setup → Volume Control ???

Could also just use HDMI connection from NUCi5 Roon Rock to TV screen

To give you the full “scope” of the results and how I got there, I’m just going to copy & paste from my post in another forum. It’s a bit long, but it explains everything I did/tried and the various results I got from each…

“The 2” Impression panels came in Friday, the 4" Alpha panels showed up first thing yesterday morning around 9am! That alone was shocking! They were supposed to ship out on the 24th and arrive by the 29th! Good on GIK Acoustics for that. As for fit and finish, I’ve read that a lot of these panels arrive looking like they were rushed, bad corners, wrinkled cloth, etc, etc. I have none of that with these panels. They look great front to back, top to bottom.

All day yesterday, and I do mean all day, I played around with location. I tried the Alpha and Impressions panels everywhere in the room, swapped one out for the other in each location, tried all combinations, tried all types of locations, and the simplest actually ended up providing the best results.

Music was from Phil Collins, Norah Jones, James Taylor, Depeche Mode, Neil Young, Diana Krall, The Cure, Peter Murphy, Gregory Porter, Holly Cole, Fleetwood Mack, Pink Floyd… Basically, artists and music I know extremely well and a lot that I have been listening to recently with the current system.

I first tried the Alpha panels in the 1st reflection points on the side walls. They gave me a solid center image, but they killed the width of the sound stage. Any stage width I got it was restricted to only between the inner edges of the speakers. Even the ambient width in the recording was sucked out almost completely. While keeping the Alphas there, I tried putting the four Impressions in various locations to see if they would resolve these new issues, but they didn’t. Even completely out of the room, these new issues stayed.

So I swapped out the Alphas for the two Impressions you currently see in those 1st reflection locations. With no other panels in the room, these “removed” the walls, widened the sound stage considerably beyond the walls, and still give me that solid center image. This is something these speakers and room needed, and the Impressions in these locations deliver.

I then tried the Alphas on the back wall and the other two Impressions on the front wall. They seemed to work really well, but something was off. After more listening of various tracks, I realized that stage depth had flattened and vocal height had dropped to about just below center of the TV screen. Also, some of that ambience in the recordings had gone away again, though not as bad as before, but it was noticeable. Lastly, imaging focus had become a little bit fuzzy. Again, just because I could, I removed the Impressions on the sidewalls while keeping the other panels in place and that just made things worse, so those Impressions went back to the sidewalls.

The Alphas then got moved up front. What the Alphas did on the front wall is what the room/system needed. They opened up that front wall giving more space, air and much needed stage depth to the sound, as well as lifting the vocal/instrument height to realistic heights as if those vocals/instruments were in front of me. The ambience of the venues in the "live’ recordings are back in strides and very clearly apparent, giving even more space and air within the room. The second pair of Impressions are on the back wall where they help reinforce what the Alphas are doing up front as well as the fact that there’s zero slap echo in this room now.

As an added bonus to these panels, and something I wasn’t expecting them to do much of if any, is that they have in fact improved the bass in this room. I don’t know if they helped clean up some of the upper bass or bass harmonics or what, but the overall sound of the bass is just a bit more clean, solid and planted. Almost to the same effect as putting the subs up on those IsoAcoustics sub stands I have them on. Definition and sharpness of attack just seem to be better. And no, the Maggies, the subs or the sub settings were never touched through any of this.

Lastly, in order the mount one of the panels in front of the window, I mounted a couple of “legs” to the side of the panel, put a couple of eyehooks on the back of them, and a couple of L hooks in the wall, so installation and removal is simple and literally only takes seconds to do. Also, instead of using the sawtooth hangers that GIK provided with the panels, I decided to use heavy duty D-ring picture hangers for the wall mounted panels.

All in all, I am extremely happy with the results and am quite amazed at how much was achieved with only six panels. They far exceeded my expectations. This doesn’t mean I’m done however. I still want to get some diffusors for behind/above the TV, and maybe a few other things here and there after some more research and advise seeking."

7 Likes

Just received my new system. More pictures another day.

Rotel A14MKII
KEF R5
Mac mini M1 16Gb 2Tb
NorStone Jura USB
ATLAS Equator Achromatic

I’m very happy with all this! I’ll buy a new TV when I’ll receive my new TV furniture, hopefully next month.

23 Likes

Good stuff, sounds like you’re having fun!

In my room, and I think our systems/rooms are fairly similar ie Panels/subs, I took away most of my absorbers - bar two behind where I sit, I also have nothing at first reflection

I kept my diffusers behind the Quads, but the room is fairly bare otherwise

In my case that opened everything up - I think I’d basically over done the damping

I do use Room Perfect though, in my Lyngdorf ’3400

Regards
Andy

1 Like

Thank you, Andy!

This room had some pretty noticeable slap echo that you could hear with certain music. It was a bit annoying. I also had a slight imbalance issue with a bare wall and love seat on one side of the room and a large window with blinds on the other side, so it was throwing off the center image and has what sounded like some kind of phasing issues at times.

Putting those curtains up on the front wall helped lessen the slap echo, and adding the panels behind me eliminated the rest of the slap echo. Placing panels at those 1st reflection points snapped the center image in place where it belongs as well as getting rid of those weird phase issues.

It’s funny, but adding these panels in my room seemed to open the room up a fair amount. Then again, my panels absorb and diffuse.

It sounds like you only have/had absorbers? You wouldn’t happen to have a pic or two that you’d care to post of your room, would you? I always find it interesting seeing other peoples rooms/systems.

Thanks again,
-Charles

2 Likes

12 Likes

The room is about 6m x 5m
I sit almost against the back wall
There are glass double doors to the right, flanked by two full height windows
There are two 2x10 bass speakers right in the back corners behind the Quads
The diffusers are 50mm styrofoam ‘waves’ about 250mm deep mounted about 50mm away from the wall
To my left is a pair of similar diffusers floor to ceiling approx 2,5m
Directly behind my head is a mirror flanked by two wooden lattice panels with 50mm of rock wool behind them

2 Likes

How would you compare LS50 to Special 40?

I currently own LS50 (non meta) and considering SP40 to upgrade.

1 Like

Beautiful Quads! I love the sound of Quads. I too own Quad, sadly not the speakers though… Quad Artera Pre. I love this little preamp!

It looks like you have a more challenging room that I do. That’s a lot of glass you have on that one wall, but it seems that you have it all under control with strategic placement of absorbers and diffusers.

4 Likes

The display you see on my photo is the Roon Remote app for Apple TV that @brennan_peyton also mentioned. If you have an Apple TV, you can get it here: ‎TV:Remote on the App Store

There’s a thread here: Apple TV Extension - Roon TV Remote

Well it’s a bit too early to make any conclusions since i put the Special Forty’s in place just last friday. Be it bias or not, my first impressions are very positive. In my personal experience the 40’s sound more easy for my preferred lean back listening. I think they also do a better job at filling my fairly small and pretty well dampened room. That said, i’ll continue listening and be switching back and forth to the LS50 Meta’s later on.
For now, i really like the 40’s!

(Link to my setup :point_up_2: up there)

5 Likes

Hello all,

Small and messy system compared to a lot of the beautiful rooms shown here. I have a long, narrow room (8.2m x 3.7m) that is very much a shared space. Lots of curtaining on the left and rear walls plus some room treatment at the gear end means that the sound is fairly good. (Definitely need to add some bass traps!)

The turntable is simply to play my partners old records so I got a very basic Rega P1 Plus. Main source is Mac mini running Roon and Qobuz, Chord Mscaler and Chord Qutest dac. Amplification is the Grandinote Shinai integrated. Speakers are Australian made, Lenehan ML1 plus R’s, paired with a JL Audio E110 subwoofer.

Cheers,

Craig.

35 Likes

Lovely looking speakers.

2 Likes

Personally, I love seeing listening rooms where people actually go and LIVE rather than a sealed bunker type setup. Probably jealous of those setups… :pleading_face: Messy? No way! :smile:

7 Likes

Someone “said” messy? I’m embarrassed to post this but what the heck, this what real life looks like for me and my bedroom setup.
:face_with_peeking_eye:

Processing: F0153559-4EE1-4D2F-86C4-7B9E382F52B2.jpeg…
Uploading: 99A9F9D0-C5DB-4F03-BD8A-3B7929C61D2D.jpeg…
Uploading: FC862C2D-E2BD-40AA-AF1B-9E08CBFA3EF9.jpeg…
Uploading: 0E292963-2BF2-4B5C-9BA2-E9ABAFF0FF35.jpeg…

My Frankenstein system consists of a Rpi 4 (running Ropieee), Chord Mojo, Conrad Johnson PV15 preamp , Audio Note Quest Monobloc amplifiers, KEF LS50’s. There’s a Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Evo under the washing and the Rega Brio is used very occasionally.
Sound? Love it more than “Main Rig”. I’m off to die of embarrassment now. Cheers!

I think you posted before the pictures uploaded

1 Like

The disadvantage is that I can place my speakers only in one part of the room.
The treatment that was designed took all into consideration and the result is a great sounding room. Although a small one.

Since the pictures were taken I have replaced speakers to 802D3 and now running two Accuphase P500-L in bridge mode. One behind each speaker.

If someone is interested I can post new pics.