Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Triangle is part of it, yes, however the listening end of the triangle may meet beyond the boundaries of the listening space.

Consider also horizontal symmetryā€¦ are both speakers firing at the same angle relative to listening position? Put a laser on top of the speaker cabinet and mark the height at the wall behind the listening position. Do the same with the other speaker. If they differ youā€™ve finally found a use for speaker spikes.

I want to give two more likes for the amp. :heart: :heart:

:slight_smile:

1 Like

I dig the simplicity of your setup, not to mention the Blades.

1 Like

Yep. Or other factors, like life.

1 Like

WAF 10/char

I think we have to say SAF or PAF or FAF now as WAF is sexist it seems so must be gender neutral so Spousal or Partner or Family to be politically correct for our fairer sex membership :stuck_out_tongue: who will probably have a problem with fairer too but hey Iā€™m a bloke so what do I know :wink:

5 Likes

My PCF (politically correct factor) is conspicuously absent. I lost it somewhere in the 1990s.

5 Likes

Actually truth be told I think itā€™s nice that we have an acronym specifically focused on our most loved oneā€™s inclusion of what goes into the household space. Iā€™ll take cover now hehehe.

2 Likes

Well, the thought that crossed my mind was one of small kids (at the time, long ago) running into my lead-filled Acoustic Energy speaker stands. Trashing speakers and splitting open a head. Putting them just out in space would have been trouble.
Things are different now, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

2 Likes

Fedocable, my experience is with Evand too. The equilateral triangle puts too much emphasis on sound stage and less so on sound density. Jim Smith, in his book ā€˜Get Better Soundā€™ has come to the conclusion over the years that the average of all his installations came to a ratio of 83% distance tweeter to tweeter to 100% distance from tweeter to ears for ā€˜normalā€™ speakers.

Iā€™ve tried both equilateral and non equilateral setup and have always preferred the latter. If you do it in small steps, thereā€™s actually a point when you put your speakers closer together coming from and equilateral setup where the sound stage picks up in space again. Find that spot and the music just flows AND you have a great sound stage. It takes time but once youā€™ve heard it, thereā€™s no going back to equilateral.

Give it a go. You have nothing to lose.

4 Likes

Thereā€™s some noise in that book, but his methodology for locating speakers and listening position in a room is unflappable and delivers results Iā€™d happily pay many times the cost of the book for.

1 Like

There is a 3 DVD set that you can get too for a fast track refresher. I got both book and dvds many years ago and definitely a good read for the most part.

I wasnā€™t impressed with the DVDā€™s to be honest. Much the same as the book but as much as I admire Jim for his knowledge, I reckon he should have hired an actor to do the DVD. Presentation isnā€™t his thing. neither is mine so I admire him for trying at least.

1 Like

Like most engineers we make bad actors. Itā€™s rare to find to one who has the ability to deliver the knowledge one has. Indeed props due for trying :nerd_face:

One could also read that the other way around; If someone is a good actor, theyā€™re probably not the best engineer.:joy:

I have GL KT77 s in my Icon Audio st40, replacing KT88s, and found them a significant change for the better.

7 Likes

Our ceiling is not made with traditional plaster but has a 5 cm stonewool material which is coated with an accoustic transparent layer. Looks normal but is actually brittle and soft due to open structure underneath

6 Likes

Both are still availableā€¦

Book and DVDs

Hey there. Maybe I sounded like some triangle fundamentalist (a mason?), but Iā€™m far from that. I was only expressing my amazement to see photos of incredibly gorgeous and expensive setups where the speakers are placed 3 feet from each other in much larger rooms, just that. Of course, Iā€™m sure the shape of your triangle will greatly depend on the shape of your room and many other factors.
Actually neither I can respect the triangle (equilateral or not) rule at home. I spend most of the time at my desk, at the other side of the room -hence the headphone setup: I got tired of listening with just one ear! But from time to time, some nights I push the table to one side, bring a deck chair and lie there, at an equidistant vertex, tweeters at ear height, and spend some hours lost in music with just some nice bottle of something as company. Iā€™m sure weā€™ve all been there.
Next time Iā€™ll follow your advice and try sitting a bit further away and see where that takes me :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I get where youā€™re coming from. I once saw a setup on Audiogon where the speakers were way wider than the listening seat so I commented on that. You wouldnā€™t believe the negative response I got. How did I dare to give someone advice without having actually heard the system! Anyway, his loss.

Itā€™s a shame though that there seem to be a lot of people out there who think they can buy good sound without knowing how much better their system could sound when itā€™s properly set up. I guess that lack of knowledge amongst audiophiles is good business for the tweak salesmen.

Looking forward to reading about your next session. Iā€™m not sure this is the right thread for it but then again, it is about showing of you SETUP.