Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Stylish!
I recommend to install Remote Buddy. With this App You are able to remap the buttons of different remote controllers to the roon app on macmini. It’s very comfortable to get control about the most important functions (previous, next, playpause, volume) with an IR or BT controller.

2 Likes

Big network envy!!! :wink: As an amateur photographer I’m way behind at only 20TB of storage, but I built a PC specifically to both handle my Photoshop work and manage the DSD512 upsampling in HQPlayer for use with Roon - great combination.

1 Like

Thanks! I guess I’m lucky in that I seem to be able to do most of these things myself. I do some reading, maybe watch a YouTube video or two and then get stuck into it. The cost of employing someone to do my networking setup for me would have been prohibitively expensive.

Building your own PC is an incredibly rewarding and satisfying experience - you get exactly what you want and it normally costs less than buying a complete system from a retailer.

1 Like

I was always nervous about power protection for my more sensitive gear, so I added aTorus Power AVR 15 for my distributed system. I don’t expect any audio improvement, but it’s nice knowing that big fat toroidal transformer is sitting between my mains and equipment!

14 Likes

I2s connection to Onyx? That’s what I have and love it! Roon server is the sonictransporter i5.

In August I posted my primary setup. Now the renovation of my other appartement has finally reached a point where I dared to unpack my other gear. The tiny Lens speakers are new and I must say, they do not disappoint me at all. I will be doing some tweaking with cables and power the coming weeks and I am considering adding an Allo bride to the Rpi. But for now, it sounds promising.

Love to see your comments and suggestions!

Sources:

• 47Labs Flatfish & 47Labs Progression - CD player & DAC
  • Roon - MacMini - Rpi4-RoPieee - Burson Audio DA160 DAC - streaming
  • Chord Mojo&Poly - portable streaming

Amplification:

• Leben CS600

Output:

• 47Labs Lens - speakers

Cables:

• Cees Pel Audio (Flatfish → Progression)
  • AudioQuest USB (Rpi → Burson)
  • 47Labs OTA (Progression → Leben)
  • 47Labs OTA (Burson → Leben)
  • 47Labs Kishimon (Leben → Lens)
16 Likes

Mini ghetto blaster I see, what is the round thing on red trolly?

Yes, I have built my own since I started with a Sinclair zx80 kit back in 1980 and now have i7 intel/nvidia P.C.

Didn’t build my iPad though :+1:

1 Like

What he said, though am Ryzen these days…

OMG @macrog I wish you wouldn’t post pics of your Kii three BXT system, I’m really tempted to add the BXTs to my Kii Threes (I have them in white also)

1 Like

My dilemma’s worse, I need to start with a pair of Kiis :joy:

3 Likes

I’d possibly hold on the ‘poor man’s’. Not from personal experience, hence me being equivocal. But I know someone that really likes them

1 Like

I believe that might be the case. I suspect these might be among the best bang for buck buys around right now. They have it all going on and am very interested.

Edit
To be clear, I joked about the Kiis but they’re out of my price range by some way. Dutch and Dutch unlikely. These are far more my speed and my idea of where home audio should be headed.

The blaster is the JVC RC-828

The thing on the Ikea table is a shortened plastic drain pipe. Serves as a plant holder.

Nice set-up… Just at the point where you have to think hard to spend more for better SQ! … Or just Enjoy the music :musical_score:

2 Likes

I have a 3-way, wide-baffle speaker build in the pipeline which should give me another improvement in sound quality, then I’m done…

Bit of an upgrade. Added a Rega Io and a switch … big difference from the AV amp only.

6 Likes

Really like the design of the Flatfish…like a CD turntable :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

New to Roon in the last few months. I love it.

GTR Ryzen 5 mini PC w/Windows Roon server > Raspberry Pi4B w/RopieeeXL > Topping E30 > McIntosh C2200 > Marantz Model 250 M > Dali Helicon 400 MKII

Missed the cutoff on the Nativ Vita developer program, so currently it is a paper weight. If they never finish certification, will always be a paper weight. Turntable is a rebuilt Thorens TD-160 MKII I rebuilt with custom teak plinth and Ortofon 2M Blue Verso.

PC - Ryzen 3900X/RTX 2080ti > TC-Helicon GO XLR > Schiit Magnius > various headphones or to current active speakers by Fluance. Shopping for different active speakers, but not sure what yet.

Roon to Chromecast Audio > Yamaha Receiver > B&W CM7 & Klipsch subwoofer. Don’t listen to this set up often, but it’s a great option on a whim.

20 Likes

Major update in the analog section. After owning several Michell’s for many years I bought a SME 12.

26 Likes