Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

It is a art painting, with sound damping material behind the canvas. I also have a bigger sound damping painting behind me. Since then I do not have echo’s anymore in my listening room. Works wonders.

The orchid is plastic. Live plants do not survive my busy life and frequent travel. That is something for after my retirement.

1 Like

The listening couch and second sound (echo) damping painting.

4 Likes

Feel better about my orchids now. Congrats on the nice system and very cool room treatment. Quite expensive speakers you got hear. Bet they they sound fantastic.

Nice to see the LS50 on stands they look that good on!

3 Likes

I saw LZ live after the first album dropped and before the second one was released. Pretty good show.

OTOH, some of the early Diana Krall albums — the ones where she still played piano — are also pretty good. I especially like this one (very good backup band):

3 Likes

1971 - New Haven, CT. Too messed up to remember where exactly.

Syracuse, NY, War Memorial for me. I was higher than a kite, but that was pretty much true for the entire decade.

5 Likes

Belle Vue Zoo Manchester!

1 Like

Bloody hell - Belle Vue Zoo. You are most definitely showing your age there Mike (and I’m showing mine now!).

1 Like

What is it that people like about Diana Krall so much?. I realy can’t think of anything more boring then Diana Krall, and a dozen of her soundalikes. I do like jazz but this is completely soulless music to me that just drooles out of your speakers.

But hey that’s just me, I’m not going to discuss taste. You probably hate the guts of the music I like and if you all enjoy her that’s fine, I just wonder why that’s all and I hope the new Roon radio helps you discover a lot more interesting music as well.

3 Likes

I saw Supertramp there but that was 77, LZ in 71…

Long gone, although the nearby Apollo is still going strong. Just as tatty as ever I believe though

wow. Who knew she would draw such a reaction although her and Norah Jones have been popular on A/V boards.

It’s not the popularity, it’s the weird obsession. Why do audiophiles not seem to have their own tastes in music, but all listen to the same small set of musicians, like Krall, the Eagles, and the Beatles? It’s really off-putting TBH.

3 Likes

There are indeed some who have 30 albums and a $30,000+ system. There are indeed many who place much more focus on gear than the music. Often professionals who have very little free time but like to own the best or better than the Jones’. The well-healed see it as a status symbol just like their sports car which rarely does anything more sporty than pull into the coffee shop or social club.

You don’t really need any gear to enjoy great music.

That said, there actually is an intersection of passionate music lovers and audiophiles, as the two sets aren’t exclusive - it is probably a rather small population. I would say the minimum to be considered a serious music listener would be 1000+ albums (CD & Vinyl), however, some folks listen to radio all day and are just as serious about it.

Then there are those that fret about ordinary bits of wire between components and imagine all kinds of demons everywhere with little pitch forks deliberately messing with the sound of their system. To these folks, every change in setup, be it a cable or a magic pebble, is guaranteed to affect the sound tremendously. Their psychosis or predisposition to suggestion means they often associate better sound with higher priced items and even obscure trinkets that have no known or physical science or empirical measurement to support their incredible claimed benefits.

It is indeed a smorgasbord of aficionados, just like almost every human endeavour or hobby.

10 Likes

+1

/10char

2 Likes

Yes. They are sealed.

Best place for speakers is

1 In Wall soffit mounted
2 close to wall (must be less than 0.6 m to front baffle so it only works for monitors or floor standers with very little depth)
3 More than 2.2 meters from wall to front baffle (far out into the room)

You can google it, “rear wall quarter wave cancellation” in the bass is one of the biggest problems in most domestic stereo setups.

Of course a subwoofer strategically placed can really help too.

2 Likes

Aren’t LP jackets cover art and meta-data (the liner notes)? :grin:

Yes, but while Roon has full control over the cover art and meta data on my server, they can’t touch my LP Jackets :wink:

Just wait until Roon 4.8 comes out. :rofl:

2 Likes