Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

I once had all the playbills from the concerts that I went to at the Fillmore East, and yes they actually did give out playbills back then. I had them tucked away in a closet at my mom’s house and then just before the 20th anniversary of the closing of the Fillmore my mother decided to do some house cleaning and threw them all away, without asking me. Oh how I miss my mother (I loved her dearly in spite of this).

As for the Who - I saw them once back at Madison Square Garden in 1974 or so - one of the worst concerts I ever saw. The Who were just going through the motions and the crowd was horrible. There was this totally stoned (on pills) guy who kept trying to stand up and was generally being a big PITA. Finally one of my Brooklyn friends told him to stay seated and he got the message. Not a good night.

Rusty,

I think your room treatment deserves to be mentioned in your list of ‘equipment’. It most likely has quite the impact on the overall sound. Freaky speakers BTW.

1 Like

You’re probably right, Pim! Over time I’ve come to see the treatments as equally important as the equipment. The back corners have GIK Corner CT Alpha Bass Traps, front wall corners have Green RoomTunes (my wife calls them “the diapers.”) First and second reflection points on the right wall have panels I made from Owens Corning 703 fiberglass and mounted with hardware from ATC.

Bonus Points to any music nerd who can name the band reference contained in the fabric I used to cover the panels. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Hear Hear !!! One big thumbs up :+1:

1 Like

Can’t remember what I had for breakfast but 1972 easy easy :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

That would be Jon Fishman from Phish

What did I win? What did I win? :rofl:

2 Likes

3 Likes

What did I win? What did I win? :rofl:

Accolades!

2 Likes

That’s great but I was hoping for:
Bathtub Gin Sample In A Jar
Your Pet Cat or Stray Dog
Pebbles And Marbles or Sea And Sand or just Sand
some Meat or at least a Meatstick
Martian Monster or Vultures or Possum or Ocelot or Wombat or Llama, maybe even a Sleeping Monkey
A Tweezer make of Cool Amber And Mercury or just Mercury
Perhaps a Loving Cup filled with Gumbo
maybe a Farmhouse with a Ghost
Simple: Roses Are Free
Heavy Things
but alas
Nothing

5 Likes

5 Likes

Hey! I was at that concert!! :clown_face:

3 Likes

That was a Laurel&Hardy movie!

I was sure that it was a Phish concert but then again when at a Phish concert one tends to imbibe substances that make one’s memory just a bit unreliable. Still are you sure it wasn’t a Phish concert? :clown_face:

2 Likes

I have been draping a blanket over my big screen and putting the sofa cushions in front as well. It seems to add more depth to the image — more like removing the highly reflective screen.

I have tried a few temporary treatments on first reflection sides. All interesting.

1 Like

There really needs to be a separate discussion about speaker placement, system setup and room treatment. This is a very important aspect of audio and when done properly can be worth more than many mega-buck equipment upgrades.

5 Likes

No fancy speaker set up here I’m afraid… Just my humble headphone rig but by god it does sound good

12 Likes

Room acoustics: The elephant in the room of any audiophile discussion.

1 Like

At the moment my Roon signal path is NUC/ROCK -> NAD C 658 -> Pass Amp Camp Amp 1.6 -> Pure Audio Project Trio15 Horn1. Roon Remote running on MacBook, iPad Air 2, and Pixel 2. Also have KEF LS50W in the bedroom.

21 Likes

Ah, I was window shopping those speakers a few months ago. I didn’t like the whole scheme of shipping them piecemeal from various locations.

How do you like them?

What’s your equipment there? Got a pair of Clears myself and on the lookout for good gear to pair with them.