Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Love them. Excellent sound in this room. Nice volume control.

There’s currently no great way to use them with Roon, however. I found S/PDIF to be sub-par and couldn’t get a UPNP Bridge to work with Dialog reliably, so basically Airplay is what’s left. Which is fine, but leaves out HighRes.

I have created a little parallel universe with Apple Music. Love it – great could library at home and out and about (and sound is simply good – really) and track/volume controls from my Apple Watch.

Still – RoonReadiness wouldn’t go to waste if and when it arrives.

There’s a bit of lag when using TV if you pay attention to it. I don’t care much for TV, so it goes by unnoticed most of the time. Does not bother me, but YMMV.

1 Like

René, did you try the toslink on one of the Golds in stead off the one on the Dialog?
From my experience it looks like the one on the Gold is more capable than the one on the Dialog.

I have a RPI with a Digi+ Pro connected and I am able to send upt to 24/192 to them.
With the dialog the 192 does not work.

I use the airplay capabilities for syncing multiple rooms and use the RPI for the more quality oriented listening sessions.

The Dialog’s Toslink is even worse than the Phantom’s indeed. I use Toslink on the left and right Phantoms (one for TV, one for anything) – I still think it does not sound great compared to the built-in sources (Spark, UPNP and even Airplay).

The Phantoms are temperamental little beasties – I’ve made quite a journey piping audio in. As not to pollute this nice thread too much, maybe we should open an owner’s thread in the Devialet section and move a bunch of posts across. I’ll see what I can do.

1 Like

Are you still in the honeymoon phase?

2 Likes

To quote the tormented bard:

There’s been a long honeymoon
She thought too late and spoke too soon
There’s no money back guarantee on future happiness

But right now, I’m in quite a happy place, audio-wise (he muttered while casually adjusting the living room volume from his watch… ;-)).

5 Likes

Added an SMSL M100. This thing goes to 11!
(Or at least 768kHz)

4 Likes

It doesn’t like DSD? :slight_smile:
It’s a sin, leaving the single bit domain you know? :wink:

Its not like I can tell the difference. :joy:

2 Likes

Rene, I also found that airplay 2 music streaming and control via iphone / ipad / watch etc… is super convenient. Drains batteries of course as the streaming source is the device (not like a remote) but the convenience is very very high :).

A summary of my current Roon ecosystem—

• Roon Core running on my office computer in the main house. $119 annual subscription seems reasonable to me.
  • Roon catalogs my streaming services (Tidal and Qobuz) and local music files anywhere on the network.
  • A Sonore ultraRendu in my Man Cave is on the same home network.
  • The ultraRendu is a Roon endpoint soon to be served by a 7 volt linear power supply to keep any noise to the minimum.(I got both from Small Green Computer Company who provided excellent service and advice!)
  • I use an Android Galaxy Tab A 7” tablet to run the Roon Remote app and choose what to send to the ultraRendu.
  • The Roon Remote user interface is glorious and robust with details.
  • The ultraRendu outputs to the Meridian Explorer 2 DAC.
  • The Explorer DAC outputs analog to the preamp.
  • I choose the ROON input on the preamp and I am off to the races.

My wish list is a Chord Qutest DAC or a PS Audio DirectStream DAC when they start selling new orders.

6 Likes

My system:

14 Likes

roonserver on QNAP USB out into Audionet DNA 2

9 Likes

Equipment:

• CHORD Mojo/Poly, beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro,
    Main Roon Control: AIO running Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
  • Cyrus Lyric
  • DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0
  • QNAP TBS-453A (Roon Core, PLEX Server), TV-Set-top box,
    CCA (optically connected to the Lyric; cant be seen behind core)
  • B&W PV1D
    Speakers: Cabasse Baltic 2 (wall mount; not on picture)
5 Likes

Funky motorcycle helmet…

Got it. W48, construction year 1962. It runs flawlessly with the help of a terminal a / b adapter. I’m happy. Thank you for this great idea !

6 Likes

Don’t laugh but I actually bought an A/B switch for my hard line telephone today. I am only going to use that line for outgoing calls, and have grown tired of the telemarketer, scammer, and robocallers. They will switched off to B, and are welcome to ring my phone for hours on end, since I will never hear it.

@StereJo

4 Likes

Here’s my home/audio network topology. It changes from time to time.

6 Likes

@RICHARD_DOWNS
How about a photo of your listening room?

1 Like

Very nice and a good condition. I have to repair the spring for the dial in my W48 :confused: But incoming calls are no problem :wink:

1 Like

Here you go… My office doubles as my listening room and watching movies. My roon end-point is behind the amp on the rack to the left. RPi and TerraBerry DAC 2 HAT. I’m lovin my ELACs.

11 Likes