Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Stream, hot water or electric?

1 Like

Primacoustic fulltraps. I’m thinking about putting them on their sides behind the tv to try and reduce their visual impact.

From the picture it looks like you have the WES for the Stax and the WA234 for other cans, correct?
Can you share your experiences?

(I have no tube gear and haven’t for 50 years, but I’m intrigued by them now and have been looking at Woo. Have no electrostatics either, one factor against them is that they use a specific amp. Your solution, doubling up, addresses that problem.)

The thing on the bottom of that stack is a 1U server with 32GB RAM and an Intel Xenon E3-1245V3 3.4Ghz (~2014 era) processor. The server runs ESXi. My (unsupported) ROCK install runs within a VM on top of ESXi. Not pictured is an external USB drive connected to the ROCK VM which holds the music files. This all sits on a shelf in the master bedroom closet where the “home run” box is.

Various endpoints using various technology across the network/house connected to various DACs and other things (predominantly using the hardwired gigabit ethernet from that switch).

7 Likes

Handsome stands!

You think so too?
Sigh!
It’s not like I need both kidneys! :sunglasses:

Never described my system, so here goes…
Core: Rock running on NUC8i7BEH with 8GB and 250 Samsung SSD
Music Storage: Synology DS916+ 1653 albums mostly FLAC some DSD 30828 tracks
Endponts:
Primary: Merging NADAC (playing through a Roon Bridge) to Aesthetix Electronics and Vandersteen 7 speakers
Additional; B&W; KEF LSX; ELAC Discovery; Bluesound Pulse Flex

(still setting up room…)

8 Likes

Using an iPhone to control a Roon Nucleus (top left on shelf) with Primare Pre60 as end point via USB. The files are on a Synology NAS in another room connected via Gb ethernet cable. Amp is Primare A60 (Krell KSA80 available for party mode) into restored Apogee Caliper Signatures. Other units are power conditioners and an FM tuner. Vicoustic treatments control excessive echo.

Works very well.

14 Likes

Nice switch!
I just switched to Unify router/switch/AP in my home now. Rock solid high speed connections all over now. Wifi in the most remote corners now even >100Mb.

I see the Double Bass cases :slight_smile: Where are the speakers?

You should see me carrying them onto a flight!

2 Likes

The Technics Rack is back in the house. :sunglasses:

All components have been completely refurbished, adjusted, measured and tested.

The RPi 3 B+ powered by Ropieee and the Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital have been integrated.

These are the components that have been replaced.

I found the original user manuals and purchase orders.

The total cost (including Technics SB-7000 speakers that I no longer own) was € 2.607,30 back in 1978.

Just considering to add a MiniDSP DDRC-24 with Dirac Live between the amp PRE OUT and MAIN IN for room correction.

10 Likes

28 Likes

One of my most used rooms lol. Two Insignia CC speakers paired into a stereo pair. Got them during the close out for $14 a pop or something like that. As a single little shop/laundry room/garage speaker they are hard to beat for $14. Google home devices (and swanky clocks too). Paired together they beat the sound of my $200 JBL portable speaker.

4 Likes

System with Atom on top pre upgrade

Then post upgrade

The beauty of a cabinet when it comes to surreptitious upgrades…

8 Likes

What hides in the cabinet? :-o

The portable one sounds great actually too. I have one of those as a bedside clock and white noise machine.

Sitting Room / Reading Nook System:

NAD D3020
Chromecast Audio (hidden) - Analog in
Squeezebox 3 - coax in
Totem Arro speakers – lovely imaging speakers

10 Likes

Since the NAD also has an optical digital input you can get an cable for the Chromecast Audio which has a optical digital output Cable

My guess is that the NAD’s DAC is somewhat nicer sounding than the Chromecast’s internal DAC.

1 Like

Naim NAP100 eBay bargain.

1 Like