Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Looks very cool…:+1:

Hmm. I’m thinking Orac. :wink:

8 Likes

Hmm, I trust it won’t end the same way…

1 Like

I just added to my Roon setup somewhat substantially with three DIY WiFi-equipped Roon-capable headphone stands I built/assembled using three Raspberry Pi Zero Ws, a trio of @JustBoom DACs and identical DietP i / @Dan_Knight OS installs.

There is a full build thread over on pinkfishmedia.net here http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=200425 but the Roon Community relevant bits are: yes it runs, it runs well, the server copes easily with three concurrent headphone streams and output to the Devialet (albeit becuase I am using Pi Zeros for space, I activated Squeezebox compatibility mode) and it sounds fantastic. My inital concerna about not having enough oomph for 250-ohm Beyer Tesla T90s was unfounded. The T51ps are my go-to for travel but they also have pride of place next to my study desk.

I just need to make a base for these and hook up the external Wifi antenna and its pretty much a wrap.

25 Likes

Bloody fantastic job, just read through your thread on pinkfish.

I’ll take two :beers:

Fantastic.

My Raspberry Pi Ropieee IQAudIO DigiAMP+ HAT build with 19V LMPS - No power switch, runs off LAN and has switchable output to 4way XLR balanced headphone out or 5 way binding posts for speakers. 1st Picture below

I have a 2nd unit in the pipe with the IQAudio DAC PRO and Pi-AMP+ HAT that will give 3.5mm headphone and Balanced XLR/RCA output in addition to the Balanced headphone and speaker binding posts/4way speakon running of 19V SMPS 2nd and 3rd pic

Also 3rd RPi with IQAudIO DAC PRO HAT running Ropieee 4th pic to LinkwitzLab LX521 ASP RCA via Schiit Saga tube buffer/pre

I have a 4th unit with the Raspberry Pi 7" LCD display and IQAudio DigiAMP+ and Ropieee to Emotiva ERM-1’s 5th pic

and for good measure RPi with Volume and Roon Bridge with IQAudIO DigiAMP+ to Emotiva ERM 6.2’s

And last but not least RPi with DietPi and Kodi and Roon Bridge to an OPPO HA-1 via USB then Emotiva XMC-1 and out to LinkwitzLab Orion V3.3.1 driven by ATI 6012.

Other setups on ROCK/Win10Pro CORES via USB include OPPO Sonica DAC, Vinshine R2R and Denafrips Ares R2R (testing) via Emotiva XMC-1 then to LinkwitzLab LX521 ASP balanced in powered by Lexicon DD-8.

Music is via Synology NAS DS1813+ 21TB of which 8TB is music, plus Tidal HIFI.

remotes are iOS iPad/iPh/iPod PC/iMAC/MBP’s

A few other speakers around for testing and whatnot.

LinkwitzLab is here, IQAudIO is here, Ropieee is here, DietPi is here and Volumio is here

2 Likes

Hey @wizardofoz

Could you give me the details for the case and power supply such as which components you used and so on. Would like to try and build my own but don’t know where to start.

Best Regards,

Guy

Ive used as per the notes mostly IQAudIO DigiAMP+ or DAC PRO HATS. Mostly a 19V SMPS supplied from IQAudIO is fine, for the DAC Pro they can also provide a 5V 2.5A SMPS

The LCD case I have 2 in use…the current one is from Element14 / Farnell the others coming soon are from RS Online. IQAudIO also have cases but not the LCD option

And what about the linear power supply and case from the first picture you posted?

DIY from a board supplied by local electronics shop in Singapore. Using LT1083 regulator. So was the chassis ~2"x8"x8"

some googling results here

https://xtronic.org/circuit/circuit-power-supply-regulated-low-dropout-positive-adjustable-regulators-lt1083/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIY-Low-Noise-Power-Supply-PCB-LT1083-LT1084-LT1085-LM317-LM338-Adjustable-/332282104993

http://www.audiophonics.fr/en/linear-regulated-psu/linear-power-supply-board-dc-lt1083-25v-to-35v-6a-p-10900.html

My setup is pretty straightforward. My front-end player is a C.A.P.S PIPELINE feeding a DCS Debussy DAC. For data storage, I have a 20TB SAN running RAID 60 using 4 Gig-E LAG’s (802.3ad link aggregation) at the SAN. Infrastructure is all Cisco Gig-E capable Switches (with other security equipment). The amplification and preamp are Boulder 2000 Series, and speakers are Wilson Alexia’s - I use Stillpoints Ultra 5’s under the Alexia’s and the Debussy and the cabling is beyond the scope of this post :smile: I also have a Krell S1200U 3D and three Parasound Halo JC-1’s as amplification for my Wilson center and surround speakers (the Boulder pre has an HT Bypass Mode). And of course there’s a projector as you can see. Movies are played by using MyMovies on a separate SAN.

I’m attaching a photo of the main system. I’ve since upgraded the subwoofers to dual 18" Velodyne’s as the JL’s wouldn’t even come close to keeping up with my Alexias. As you can see, I crammed the massive Boulder 2000 series amp into my salamander rack. It hangs out the back about 16 inches it’s so long. It’s also so heavy it took 3 people to put it in place safely; afterwards I put the shelves above it so they had unhindered access. The amp runs off a dedicated 240v line, everything else is also dedicated (direct to the panel) wired outlets.

5 Likes

Love those Alexias. Is that the metallic gray color? That’s my favorite stock Wilson color. I got my Sophias at the second-hand store, so I didn’t get to pick. :disappointed:

Thanks. Dark Titanium is the color - they were special ordered with extra metallic flake in the paint. I’ll never own another speaker (unless I win the lottery and then I’ll buy XLF’s and a pair of Thor’s Hammer Subs LOL)!

Aren’t those Alexias a little bit to close to the wall ? Very nice setup…:+1:

2 Likes

Nice catch Kees. They certainly are. Interesting thing happened when I put Stillpoints under the Alexia’s is that all the issues with placement were not as impactful. Any midbass, and lower frequencies immediately smoothed out and didn’t have the interaction with the rear wall like they did before I put them on. So I played around with their placement a lot once these went on. I did end up pulling them about another 2 feet out from the wall in the rear, and about 1.5 feet from the sides (which is not represented in this picture). But overall, they’re no where near as far out as they were without the Stillpoints and the sound is even better. Soundstage stayed about the same, imaging improved (entirely because of placement) and bass interaction also improved (directly related to the Stillpoints).

I thought such an impact by round metal feet was crazy so I even removed them after a few months to make sure I was hearing what I believed I heard. Sure enough, all the issues came back and they sounded better much further pulled out (with the Stillpoints removed). But they didn’t sound better than with the Stillpoints on, and pushed in a bit more. In the end, they are somewhere in the middle of where they are in this picture and where they were initially placed when setup by Wilson using their setup procedures.

Also, I have no choice but to put them against this wall which is a large set of windows, and it has much less bass interaction than a solid wall would. Eventually, I’ll scrape up the dough to have a special-purpose built room in the basement and I’m sure I’ll have to bring them out more. But for now, they really do sound best just a bit pulled out than they are in this picture. Taking a new picture would mean you’d see all the discs and junk I’ve got laying on the top of my PS4 and Xbox One :slight_smile: – I’ll clean things up soon and take another picture with the 18-Inch Velodynes and the Alexia’s in their current place and post it here.

I don’t work for any audio industry and have no affiliation with any audio-related company. For what it’s worth, Stillpoints really do make a difference. And they do things you’d never expect in terms of how they effect your speakers when used as feet for them. I may even try removing them and putting them back in their exact position again to prove for a 2nd time I was right. I still can’t believe they have the effect they do.

2 Likes

The Alexias are fine. The side walls are too close together.

10 Likes

Incredible! Now, I understand your puzzlement in our previous back and forth.

I am in the process of window shopping for my own humble listening room. I don’t know your room dimensions, but the height and width look to be about what I have to deal with, i.e. low ceilings and narrow room.

Does this configuration negatively affect the acoustics? I don’'t see any room treatments.

Sorry my mistake…:joy::joy:, still one of my favorite brands Wilson Audio. Problem is you almost have to rob a bank in order to pay for them.

3 Likes

@Bryan_Allen, when you didn’t have the StillPoints on, did you have the Wilson spikes on instead?