Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

See my reply to the question about them being too close to the walls. Short story is that the Stillpoints Ultra 5’s made a huge difference in room interactions. Crazy, I know, but I went back and forth removing them and putting them back on and sure enough, they smoothed out a lot of midbass and lower frequency “humps”.

The Alexia’s are highly adjustable and can be listened to properly as close as 7 feet away with accurate time-alignment. They can play in big rooms and small, and it’s all because of the many adjustments in the upper unit – there are many, and if you want to read up on the specifics I recommend going to Wilson’s site and downloading the manual. It has several charts and graphs for what settings to change for things like listening distance, ear height, etc.

I’d love to put them in a bigger room, but when I finish my basement it’s going to be done right and I don’t have that kind of money right now. If you’re curious, my current room is 12 Feet wide (that’s the side the Alexia’s are on) and 15 Feet long. Standard 8 foot ceiling.

1 Like

Yes, I used the spikes. I had to use a bigger floor protector disc underneath because they weigh so much they punched a hole through the subfloor! It was a real pain in the ass.

Ouch! But no real surprise. The Sophias are plenty heavy enough for me. I tweaked my back pretty good in the process of getting them crated, uncrated, and placed in their new home when I acquired them.

Once heard the Alexias together with a complete ARC Ref. setup. One of the best things I have ever listened to…:two_hearts:

2 Likes

LOL! The Wilson Dealer who delivered them were complaining about carrying a pair of Sophias up stairs at their previous delivery. Apparently all the other speakers are not as difficult to move since they come apart. But the Sophias are one heavy piece – I think they had a nickname for them that something like “backbreakers”!

I believe that in their crates, the Sophias are around 220 lbs apiece. 160-something soaking wet (which of course we want to avoid).

Ok, my system is kind of complete now and I’m fairly happy with the way it sounds.

I’m using an Asus eeebox as my core, running Roon server on Windows 10 with Fidelizer. I’ve upgraded this to an SSD and maxed out the ram.

This connects to my Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 using wasapi. Cable is a blue jeans usb, and I’m using an iFi purifier 2, found this was a worthwhile upgrade. The DAC itself has had the Sparkos SS3602 discrete opamp upgrade and the tube was upgraded to the WE396A. Review of this can be found here http://www.tnt-audio.com/accessories/sparkos_ss3602_e.html

I was using a Rotel RC995 preamp, but when I upgraded the power amp, I find the volume control via Roon and the gain of the DAC meant it sounds better without.

The power amp is a Niles Audio SI-2100. This uses Hypex ucd180 d class modules and they are amazing. I heard them in a Rogue Audio Sphinx and they sound really good, got lucky finding this on eBay. More than enough power, they have the gain turned down to around 30%. Interconnect is a blue jeans one that I found to be really good.

Speakers are Mordaunt Short MS908i’s. Had these for about 6 years now and the sound dynamics and detail are really nice and have taken every upgrade I’ve thrown at them and sounded still better. They are sitting on some Audeze vibration pads with some Ikea chopping boards in between for a little extra stability. Cables are monoprice which I can recommend.

Next upgrade may be speakers, looked the ls50 when I hear them, have always liked KEF and Dynaudio, but I’m fine for the moment.

I’ve been playing around with the DSP function, but so far had mixed results. Will keep playing with it.

Nice setup…Is that hotsauce on the table :wink:

2 Likes

My modest system. Please excuse the pitiful sub - its just there to round out the pioneers low end…

7 Likes

Ha ! Forgot the amp ! NAD 3020

:slight_smile: Thought the tube buffer would have a hard time!
Why not use the USB input on the S.M.S.L? Its very fluent in HighRez PCM and DSD!

Because I had nothing but pop and crackle issues using the USB - at all resolutions. Nearly drove me nuts troubleshooting and gave up. Coax tops at 192/24 but sounds good and is stable

Seriously? Im baffled, have the exact same combo and it sounded beautiful! (right up until the USB input died on the M8)

DAC: Holo Spring Audio R2R
CD/SACD/USB-DAC: Marantz SA-14S1
Tube Pre-amp: VTL TL-2.5i
Tube Power-amps: VTL MB-125
NUC: ZOTAC i5 CI543 fan-less PC, 4GB RAM, 64GB SSD loaded with ROCK, Gigabyte LAN connected
Power supply: KECES DC-116 for NUC and NAS
NAS: Seagate Personal Cloud 4TB (Single Drive, Fan-less)
Speakers: Dynaudio Contour 1.8Mk2
Audio Interconnects: Taralabs Reference Generation 2
Speakers cables: Goertz MI-3
Roon remote: Apple iPad Air 2
Music library on NAS: Over 25,000++ tracks
Internet Streaming: Tidal Hi-Fi

19 Likes

Senn HD 800 S (Wywires Red Cabled)
Chord Mojo
Auralic Aries Femto (concealed under first table)
Synology DS116 NAS
NUC7i7BNH Mini PC NUC Kit (Roon Core)

2 Likes

Yeah I think the USB implementation on the M8 leaves a little to be desired. Happy with sound in current configuration though

System Three: headphone only.

Logitech Touch running EDO, Schiit Jotunheim, Byer DT880.

4 Likes

Thanks.
You have good eyes. That was indeed hot sauce on the table. The pic is from Wham (last christmas) :sweat_smile:

I like the Black Jot! I got a Jot/Bimby combo for my office…but the Black looks sweet!

I’d totally love having that black case for my Yggy though…it’s the only silver piece in my whole kit…;-(

2 Likes

My system is as quite simple

Roon Core:

• Headless Mac Mini with 16GB RAM and 500GB SSD for system drive
  • Connected to main 1Gbps LAN via Apple Airport

Storage:

• 2 X 4TB USB drives for Redbook music, one primary and one backup
  • 4TB Thunderbolt drive Hires for PCM/DSD music, one USB 4TB drive for backup

Control:

• via Macbook Pro or iPad/iPhones

Output:

• Devialet D440 Pro