Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Sometimes seconds to fill the (23") screen with covers, for example. (Significantly slower than an MD600 serving covers to an iPad.) And it can’t handle it if I run a Java MineCraft server (one user) at the same time: that caused audio juddering.

My ultimate goal is:

Roon headless on my virtual server that mounts my iSCSI music LUN.
Roon Speakers on my HTPC connected to my Devialet.
Multiple remote control points, PC, MAC, iPad and hopefully iPhone some day.

After dipping in the toe, have now taken the plunge: my MC200 has just been picked up, it is now Roon only!

@rovinggecko – I’m super curious as to what took so long :smile:

seriously, there are surely a ton of people are in the same situation as you were in… what can we do to make it easier?

Just need the end point firmware update solution now then :wink:

Buy back the MC200 and provide users a discount on Roon w/ a NUC set-up?

Do people actually want to sell it for a discount? It’s a decent endpoint at minimum, and can be storage even today if you don’t care about the Sooloos Core aspect.

@ncpl, Still haven’t figured out how Sooloos Core does it?

Well @danny, since you asked :smile: :

• bought the life subscription unseen when it came out, so not really a case of commitment anxiety.
  • put the MC200 up for sale a while ago but didn’t push it and the market on MC200 isn’t fast.
  • actually sold it through this forum!
  • reason to sell? De-cluttering, too many streaming options (meridian, Jriver, lMS) (actually one of the best Roon features!)

That said, there are some hurdles for those less adventurous / it savvy:

• my ID40 can’t be updated anymore till Meridian comes out with a standalone updater (and a QNAP core wont cut it for this Synology adept). (two bottlenecks: updater & source files)
  • the android OS app experience is lacking, sorry. Probably just because it is android, but still.
  • iOS will be key for success, running Roon via a Mac/PC or remote desktop is subpar for the long run
  • running core headless on several OS’s will be a major step
  • thin end points will be another seller
  • and lastly, stability: it just isn’t fully there yet.

To be honest, for me part of the fun is to see it grow. I don’t mind the small hiccups etc. and the community engagement goes a long way for now. I guess it fits with my DIY kit: tinkering is part of it.

For others, with less patience, the above will need some work :smile:

Edit: In order to not give the wrong impression: Forgive the Dutch bluntness: I really like what you have now and see great potential for absolute awesomeness. Just a few more baby steps in the right direction to go :smile:

3 Likes

@rovinggecko – thanks… Other than your Android item, we are very actively fixing everything else on your list. iOS is going to be huge, both in experience and in growth, as we’ve heard so many people are holding on until iOS is out.

Android will get better with time, and the everything else is on our immediate roadmap.

You are not the first to mention sales of goods via this forum. I’m wondering if we should open up a category for member to member sales. I have no idea what can of worms that might open.

1 Like

Yeah, know it is all in the works. The world will be perfect, one day.
i guess it is my patience skills that need most work ;).

As for a market category, i see several fora with one. I guess someone like @Carl is better positioned than me to share admin overhead experiences.
Personally i really like to sell through fora, makes generally for a much better buying experience.

@danny, I haven’t had time😃

@rovinggecko

Curious – what do you find to be deficient w/the Android app?

An old core 2 quad pc in an origean ae 16v case, audiolab Q-dac, meridian 501, meridian 555, B&W cm5 speakers
the reason i got roon is because i was going to buy a sooloos system, but then saw the insides of them and realised roon is pretty much(same guys) the same. The only thing i’m going to change is put a Hammerfall 9632 card in my pc(like the sooloos) and put my q-dac in the kitchen to replace my crap lindy one.

That’s very old Sooloos (from a decade ago), putting an audio card inside the PC is the worst possible place for it. I’d suggest not doing that and instead investing in a network or USB connect DAC / Audio EndPoint … there are many options.

I’m prepared for Roon Headless. I replaced my Mac Mini with:

Intel NUC 5i5RYH
8GB DDR3 1600 RAM
128GB M.2 SSD
TeraDak 200W 12V/13A Linear power supply

Remote either Win8.1 Tablet or iPad

Pretty simple really. Waiting on headless Roon server for Linux. It’ll reside on a wired headless Asus Z87i-PRO based setup with 16GB RAM, flash drive hosting OS and Roon data hosted on a 12TB raid array alongside my music collection. Wandboards running Squeezelite and Squeezebox Touch devices will serve as endpoints streaming to custom asynch USB DACs and a NuPrime IDA-8 serving as integrated amp/preamp/DAC for desktop listening. Android and iOS tablets will serve as remotes. Hoping the wait will soon be over.

I’m with you on Linux Headless.

Another +1 for headless Linux here to

1 Like

Intel NUC (Broadwell i5 - 8GB - 512GB PCIE SSD - BOXNUC5I5RYK)
Akasa Plato Fanless Case
Acer T272HL 27" touch screen
SMSL X-USB Digital Audio Interface (USB to SPDIF)
2x Devialet Phantom (Via Toslink)
Windows 10

The NUC has plenty of power most of the time but I do find Roon gets a bit choppy while playing and scrolling through albums (It’s perfectly smooth while not playing).

14 Likes