Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Hey Frank,

Nice headphone setup! If you’ve ever find yourself with a bit of spare change to spend on it, you may want to consider replacing the Pi with an Allo USBridge. It brought me a nice improvement, especially in my HP setup.

Is it that much better, I have been considering upgrading my pi with HifiBerry Digi + in my 2nd setup to either that or the Allo digi but not sure I’ll reap the benefits. How big a leap is it?

Kitchen Stuff (loving AudioPro C5 sound signature).

Now playing: Brian Eno, “Another Green World”

:wink:

2 Likes

That’s a different situation: USB (basic Pi vs. Sparky with optimised USBridge board <> Pi/Hifiberry vs. Pi/DigiOne).

I use a Meridian streamer in my main setup (mainly for having the full Meridian integration), but also have a Pi/DigiOne hooked up for shits and giggles. I just dug out the Digi+ Pro board I that was gathering dust in a drawer somewhere and stuck it onto a different Pi so I could compare (it has been over a year since I used the Digi+).

In my system, the Digi+ is good, but a bit flat and lifeless compared to the DigiOne. Let’s just say that if my DigiOne were to break today, for ~$100 I’d prefer buying another one to using the Digi+.

2 Likes

Thanks will look to get one when I have allocated my next budget for spending.

updated diagram. rpi out usbrigde in
new cactus :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Got to love the cacteae. :smiley:

And the USBridge. Do you hear appreciable differences with the Explorer/AKG combo?

Which reminds me – updated diagram as well:

(Diagram created with Apple Keynote).

2 Likes

Which reminds me - update diagram as well: :grinning:

3 Likes

OK, minor update here - now using an Allo USBridge to connect to my QUAD Artera:

(diagram created using Grapholite)

3 Likes

These diagrams are excellent (@Geoff_Coupe, @Frank_Berens1, @RBM) - I think I need to do one, now, where is my pencil…

3 Likes

1 Like

I was just about to say where are my Crayons, you know to add color to my pencil sketch. :slight_smile:

There’s definitely an improvement over the rpi. I find it more detailed at low volumes. Tones fade out and start more precisely. There’s slightly more clarity and instrument seperation as well. So far I’ve not yet removed the J28 jumper to power both the sparky and usbridge seperately. I’ll try that in a couple of days

Diagram dickfencing? :thinking:
:joy:

4 Likes

If I may come with a suggestion, consider changing the RPi for an USBridge, it will make a noticeable improvement for not to much money. And while you are at it, buy 2 and put the other between the Mac Mini and the Wadia DAC.

2 Likes

Looking at my system, the diagram looks more like this:

45 Likes

Ha ha ha. :joy::joy:. That’s really funny!

I have almost exactly the same setup…but I have more speakers than just the one shown.

1 Like

Sold my Quad Electrostatics and Quad amp and Empire turntable in 1976 to pay for our honeymoon in Europe. Worst hifi decision but best life decision.

6 Likes