Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Started the Hi-Fi hobby about 4 years ago and it has taken hold quite vigorously. In those 4 years I have pretty much upgraded all my components already, except for the speakers. Latest component purchase being the Primaluna which I simply adore.
After seeing some of your sets I still have a long way to go, nevertheless I am really happy with my setup so I thought let’s share like the rest of you did. :blush:

Let’s start with the source:

I am running Roon ROCK on a NUC7i5BNK installed in an Akasa Newton S7 passive case with an internal SSD that stores my music. Backups are made on my Synology DS1517+ NAS. The whole bunch is wired with Audioquest carbon ethernet cables to a TP-Link C5400 router.

I use an Auralic Aries Femto network player that gets its music fed wirelessly. It then gets transported to a Chord 2Qute through a Tellurium Q Black USB cable. Both the Aries as the 2Qute are powered by a LPS from Sbooster (absolute must buy!). The DAC feeds a Primaluna Dialogue Premium equipped with KT120 tubes by means of a Tellurium Q Ultra Black interlink. This amp is pure magic, it truly is a magnificent piece of audio equipment. The amp feeds a pair of PMC Twenty.23’s. I use Tellurium Q black speaker cables.

15 Likes

Nice, very, very nice.

1 Like

You make me really miss my old Dialogue Premium HP :weary:

The fella that bought it off me likes to call me every few weeks (after he’s had a few drinks seemingly) to remind me how silly I was to sell it :grin:

While I don’t have the space for my old system in my new smaller place, I should have kept it as a headphone amp and winter heater.

Really nice system you have there.

1 Like

I totally understand you miss your amp, and you were indeed “silly” to sell it as it truly makes for a great winter heater :smirk:.

1 Like

Is there a piece of software you guys use for those awesome flow charts? Or is it handmade in photoshop?

I bought these last week: KEF R300 & Teac AI-503. Currently, I am using an old MacBook Air connected via USB. I’ll change that to a Mac mini 2018 and I’ll buy a new TV, probably an OLED 55".

I’ll find a find to hide the cables behind the furniture and hide the router somewhere else. :nerd_face:

Very happy so far with the setup!! I love the white glossy finish.

5 Likes

I use the Grapholite app for Windows 10; currently on sale for €9.99…

Apple Keynote. Easy does it. :slight_smile:

Which reminds me… I need to simplify my diagram.

Ah thanks, will give it a go!

Getting familiar with my latest Roon endpoint, the (almost, not yet certified) Roon Ready Auralic Aries G1!
Great UI and the Lightning DS adds a few tricks that Roon dont supply, such as useful Internet Radio and Spotify Connect/Quobuz support. Sounds great!

14 Likes

Meet the Schiitbox. It uses a Ropiee Pi box feeding a USB 5 upgraded Bifrost Multibit feeding an Asgard 2. This is my “sitting in the living room trying to stay unobtrusive” setup.

Right now I have Massdrop HiFiMan HE-4XX cans attached but will also use my UE Reference Remasters and my Sennheiser HD600s depending on my mood. I have never heard Mick Fleetwood’s bass drum on The Chain sound so “there” before this setup. It’s simply unreal or rather SOOOOO real. I haven’t decided which yet.

7 Likes

Welcome to my passion. The computer desk. Notice the PONO by Neil and Ayre. It still sounds great.

The concentration station. For a new Steven Wilson mix I’ll bring down the Utopias.

My ROON 5.1 and theatre. The NUC/Rock is hdmi to the Anthem. The 805’s seem to get better each year. Out of the picture is a 12" JL Audio sub. The movies are served up by PLEX or the Oppo 203 (a lot of 3D). The NAS is a PI3 with 7 usb drives.

9 Likes

So this is a show-off of only certain elements of my work setup. It’s gotten way too unwieldy and the sound is now lacking for some reason i can’t pinpoint (could be rfi/emf - I’m in a remote location for work and there are power cables everywhere so I’m careful not to cross contaminate if possible).

I’m in love with the ZMF Eikons and they’ll stay but everything else is up for change. The Oppo HA-2SE, the macbook, the external drive, the iso regen.

Plan:

Source - I’m still only 6 months into running roon and an entire collection of local flacs. So still cataloging my library which makes having the whole setup nice but thinking about moving to just a rolling selection of flacs on the iphone.

DAC/AMP - big big fan of the Fostex HP-V1 but i obviously need to consolidate so thinking about running the iphone straight into a Schiit Lyr 3.

Phones - Eikons ftw

On a side note i added the ISO Regen with LPS 1.2 at the start of the week but it’s only made things a little harsh and fatiguing. It’s had probably 7 hrs use so maybe needs more burn-in but was surprised. Thought for sure with all my cables and components that a regen would do wonders.

Now to revisit @dabassgoesboomboom setup for inspiration.

1 Like

Nice! We have quite a few components in common!
I love my Utopias with the Hugo, but i have recently aquired a Hugo TT with expectations of even greater deeds! :slight_smile:
I do have a Moon Nêo 430HAD in my main rig though, mainly powering the Hifiman HE1Ks!

Ha, not sure if I should be a source of inspiration mate, or a source of what not to do… :grin:

Nice desk rig there.

Been fun building it up and testing things but time to consolidate and step up the DAC for sure. A lot of Hugo talk on here. I liked the mojo but haven’t heard the Hugo yet. Guess it’s between Schiit, Chord and iFi. Throw some MQA around then take a side in the battle royal. Gonna be a fun weekend!

You were born to own it… perfect for a work/travel DAC/amp. And great for late night listening with cans at home, when you can’t crank speakers.

1 Like

@Mikael_Ollars I actually prefer the TT with the Utopias over the Hugo 2. I think you’ll have many enjoyable sessions.

Downsized a bit

Forgot the removed power amp
Removed:-
1x pre amp
2x power supplies for pre amp
1x power amp
1x streamer and power supply
1x DAC and power supply
1x Sonos connect
And whilst I was at it
1x Turntable (never use it now)
1x phono amp and power supply
Phew!

13 Likes

Nice! Can you post this Naim unit model for people not familiar with Naim to know.