Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Apologies.
It is a Naim Atom.
It is a fully implemented roon product and amazingly satisfying to use.
Also, it has a remote control that my wife can use to control it as she won’t use a screen to do it.

2 Likes

Nice and it costs cheaper than my Mytek Liberty DAC + SoTM sms-200 NEO + Sbooster LPS Combo

I doubt it sounds as good though! :slight_smile:
I replaced naim/exposure amps and sms200 into a chord dac and it cost a third of the kit it replaces but is probably 85% as good sounding and much easier to use.

1 Like

I love my Naim Atom. Although their software is a little flakey if on wireless I found.

1 Like

I’ve only used roon so far and that has been great.

i owned matrix 805s for years, and liked them better than either the 804s or 803s. lovely set up(s).

Been playing around with the new iFi Pro iDSD DAC/amp for a few days.

For the HQPlayer enthusiasts out there:

The Pro iDSD’s FPGA can upsample DSD256 and under (and PCM384Khz and under), up to 45MHz & 49MHz (depending on base rates).

It plays DSD512 with no further upsampling possible.

So while I’ve been thoroughly enjoying the music, I’ve been trying to hear if I prefer HQP Embedded upsampling to DSD512 - or to DSD256 and letting the Pro iDSD’s FPGA take it up to ~DSD1024ish. Sounds wonderful with both cases.

Even without any HQPlayer involved, just bitperfect from Roon, it sounds great.

@xxx you can definitely retire your iFi iUSB3.0 fixer-upper with this DAC :grin: - all their USB fixing gadgetry/knowledge/lessons learned is incorporated (as one would hope/expect for the price).

6 Likes

Nice DAC. I would guess that even with all the USB tweaks, it still sounds better with a transport though.

1 Like

Ideally yes, where practicably possible I always try and have the server/s in a different room and use a networked endpoint close to the DAC.

Not that I’m an expert - I just follow the experts advice.

Roon and this little HiFiBerry DAC is what first got me into networked audio - let’s call it bit perfect networked audio because I was using Airplay since it first came out. (And yes I knew about Squeezeboxes but I was Airplay’ing through many of those years :grin: )

The Roon experience with this HiFiBerry is what convinced me to go all in with Roon.

It’s still serving me really well in a different setup and I constantly recommend it (and the Digi+) to people even today. Especially if they want to trial Roon before going all in - or just as a quality, low cost endpoint.

Since then Allo have come along and really up’ed the performance but at a slightly higher price of course.

This will always be a little classic in my networked audiophile heart :grin:

4 Likes

Okay. I just hooked it up and I must say I’m very impressed. Listening to Wilco at 24/96 with bass boost off. I’m shocked at how well it drives the LS50s. My first impression is that the smoothness that the Peachtree has isn’t quite there. But it’s close. And that being said, it hasn’t run nearly as long as the Peachtree so it may settle in. The resolution may be better. But again, first impressions. More to come.

1 Like

Desk setup is pretty simple - MacBook hooked up to a Schiit Fulla2. Driving Focal CMS-40 monitors, or my modded Grado SR-125’s.

Lounge setup is old school but doing the job well - A Raspberry Pi2 hooked up to a Scott Nixon USBChibi DAC (both hidden in that basket in the middle) feeding in to a Rotel RC-1070 Pre and RB-1070 Power amp. In the middle of them is the Bose EQ required for driving the Bose 901 Series IV speakers. Turntable is a Clearaudio Emotion SE. The Bose are 2 months older than I am - my dad bought them just before I was born. They act as a nice limiter on how crazy I can go with any other gear (for now!). For all the hate they cop they sound excellent when setup correctly, and really fill the house with music - not just the sweet spot.

17 Likes

Cheers Michael !

Well I was going to get the Sprout 100 for my old man, but he’s currently a ‘pig in mud’ using HQPlayer DSD512 up-sampling --> microRendu --> Pro-Ject Audio S2 DAC.

The Sprout 100 converts analogue inputs to digital and therefore will use it’s internal PCM192kHz DAC all the time - there’s no way to by-pass it’s internal DAC (which sounds great to me by the way).

Since he doesn’t want to depart from HQPlayer DSD512 up-sampling, I told him we’ll get a purely analogue integrated instead, that has no digital circuitry inside at all, to replace his vintage Sansui integrated.

This summer, I am having a dirty little love affair with the DragonFly Red – hooking it up to my iPhone 8+ / iPad Pro 10.5 at will and enjoying my headphones in indiscrete places.

With autumn coming up, I want to use the little bugger in a more stationary, ready-when-you-are setup. A little bit of digging in my drawers with obsolete stuff lead to this cute little headphone setup:

Cubox running Roon Bridge on Debian, carefree and wireless. Don’t read too much into the Regen – I needed a hub to make the Cubox happy with the DragonFly.

It’s a very nice hub. :smiley:

11 Likes

Hi Rene,

Hope your keeping well?

How do you find the Dragonfly Red in comparison to the Mojo?

I currently have a Black and have been considering getting a red.

All the best

Wayne

:laughing:

Hey Wayne,

The DFR is either a brilliant little bugger – or a serendipitous match for my Aeons.

It’s been a while since I’ve listened to a Mojo (and never on these ‘phones) – but @Grump has been kind enough to lend me his, so I expect to be able to compare the two in the next week or so.

1 Like

Thanks Rene, I look forward to your opinions if you don’t mind posting them?

Cheers

Sure – I’ll let you know.

For now: new chart. Charts are good.

4 Likes

Hi Rene,

Have you also sold your Prime? If so, is the DFR that good?