Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

Depends how loud you play them I would think. The enormous Tannoy Westminster’s are very popular in tiny Japanese homes.

5 Likes

They’re baffle-less, i.e. no box. Which is why they look thin and also why I am attracted to them.

Aye, and that’s the thing. I couldn’t play them as loud as they are capable of, so they must perform well at lower volumes. Which is a problem for a lot of speakers. However, at $11,000 I would expect them to perform well at levels below hair combing volume.

R2D2! What or who’s in there? :wink:

1 Like

Added the 6th Zone today our Bedroom. Modified 2nd hand Qacoustics 2000ci with pi and HifiBerry Amp2 inside the box so its now a fully RAAT wireless speaker. Needs a bit of touchup due to courier being crap and damaging it a bit. But hey so is life

6 Likes

They look like fold 'm up, take them with you on vacation kind of speakers. Too plasticy too, what is the attraction Slim?

I have fun - good music, readings, films…- in the front view, and I work, and also have fun :), in the “Left View”.

One Room&Roon “for rule them all”.

Cheers from Madrid.

P.D. - My small DAC is a Dragonfly Red+Jitterbug (like it a lot)

6 Likes

Obviously you have never heard (good) dipole speakers before when you ask such a question :roll_eyes:
Be aware that there is (imo/ime) way more interesting speaker principles (horns, dipoles - magnetostats, ESL or like here with dynamic chassis) than the 27th thousand iteration of cone-dome speakers :wink:

1 Like

Aluminum, not plastic. I want to try baffle-less speakers. I like the concept. The horn section can be replaced with any number of different drivers. See PureAudioProject.com.

The drawback, besides some of the prices, is that they are only available online. They also come in many boxes, from many different places, over the course of a week or so. That makes me queasy.

Anyway, at those prices, I’ll have a lot of time to contemplate any buying decision.:grinning:

2 Likes

Indeed, I don’t think I have

That’s an expensive gamble but even slightly niche speakers are hard to get a decent amount of time with. Maybe ask on a few of the audio forums if anyone has them within reasonable travel distance. We all like to share :sunglasses:

2 Likes

I think you TV shelf is a little full :slight_smile:

I agree: Books and books, you know :wink:

1 Like

There are plenty of ‘baffle-less’ speakers available in dealers showrooms, with the added bonus that you can actually listen to them first. :slight_smile:
If SWMBO allowed such things (and I had a bigger living room) I would be straight round to my local hifi place to audition some Martin Logans/Magnaplaners.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s true, but dealer’s showrooms are probably the worst place to audition speakers. Just behind audio shows. :laughing:

The only place to audition speakers is from a dealer who lets one bring the speakers home. Or to buy online from someone with a decent return policy.

http://www.spatialaudio.us/hologram-m3

1 Like

Agreed, but I would expect that if you were shelling out 11k+ on anything they would lend you their demo model for a while.

1 Like

I’m hoping to get a pair of Fortes to listen to in the not too distant future. More of the maverick quality plus a bit more refinement I’m told. Looking forward to them.

Phil

My current Roon setup:

Roon Nucleus w/1TB ssd
ClearAudio Concept Wood turntable
Trinnov Amethyst preamp + room correction + sub crossover + roon endpoint
Sony A1E OLED
Apple TV
Raspberry Pi
2x McIntosh MC-601 power amplifiers
2x Wilson Audio Yvette loudspeakers
2x JL Audio f112v2 subwoofers
1x Australian Labradoodle named Miles Davis :slight_smile:

Raspberry Pi runs a few custom scripts (e.g. synchronizes volume between TV and Trinnov) and homebridge devices so that the TV and Roon can be controlled via homekit/siri.

19 Likes

Is that the trapdoor to the shelter? Must be difficult to distinguish between Mount St Helens going off again and the subwoofers…

1 Like

:grin: Thought so too at first but Miles’ right paw gave away that that’s a table.

2 Likes