Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

I would think the regards and ATC combo would work very well to complement each others “sound” a sort of sweet and analytical combo.

Yes altough Elex-R is technically not as powerful enough as SCM11 would like it to be, I feel it’s a great match. But… I have nothing to compare it with.

That’s the important bit. You like it.
We get too carried away with comparisons and forget to appreciate what we have now.
Theoretically I’ve just gone down the audio slope by moving from a chain of streamer, DAC, power supplies, amps, cables to a single integrated but it’s so much more rewarding to use that I am happier and can now concentrate on the music. :grin:

5 Likes

Absolutely agree! We keep chasing some mythical perfect hi fidelity sound but we should be enjoying the Here and Now instead of looking forward to that future sound that may or may not be achieved at all

5 Likes

I love the last couple of comments because I don’t feel a need to compare to other people’s set ups unless they’re doing something that helps me address my priorities:

1. Not spend my kid’s college tuition money;
  2. Hear great music in great sound quality;
  3. See clearly what I’m playing without squinting; and
  4. Not let my hobby overtake our home decor.

To that end I’m running Roon and Tidal on a Win 10 fanless tablet through a Peachtree Audio nova300 integrated amp, and out through Sonus Faber Concertinos and an REL T9 sub.

5 Likes

Yes but…!

I was just wondering if there’s a size of ISO Aperta stand that would fit your ATCs. I’ve considered them myself to put speakers on a cabinet similar to yours. Just a thought. Not too expensive either in the grand scheme of things.

Phil

I think 200 quid (£200) is quite a lot in some people’s scheme of things. Everyone’s scheme of things is different…

Totally agree Ged. In this case I was probably thinking relative to what has already been spent on the system.

1 Like

No offence intended. We all tend to want the shiny toys! What did my children need shoes for anyway?:kissing_closed_eyes:

1 Like

None taken at all

Shoe polish - much overrated in my opinion.

You’re talking to a guy that downsized from B&W 802s to Harbeth C/72s 15 years ago to see if it impacted quality if life. Nope. Nor did it impact quality of musical enjoyment.

Just ignore the fact that I’m climbing the greasy pole again!

1 Like

How do you like the Nova 300?

The nova is STELLAR. It replaced a Cambridge Audio which was great also, but didn’t have the juice I wanted to power the Sonus Fabers. The nova not only has the power, but got me hooked in a demo with the effortless detail it managed. I will always remember hearing Bill Calahan’s One Fine Morning and being sold. Plus Peachtree makes damn nice looking kit, and caters to digital inputs and streaming including an amazing DAC.

I am a Van Morrison fan too.

Just be aware that the reflections from objects close to the speakers (like books) will tend to cause diffractions and may be detrimental to imaging.

1 Like

So I noted above that I have to accommodate home decor, but out of curiosity how would the books to the side of the speaker cause diffractions?

1 Like

So few books wont be making too much difference - A whole bookshelf of them might be better :blush: Even plants will help to some extent in the room. The worst rooms are those with no real softness of sofas and wall hangings or rugs…a sterile looking room is less likely to sound good where as a typically fully furnished room should be better. At least this is my experience.

My reasoning for buying the Atom as well. Very happy with it.

1 Like

As well as having a smile on my face when I use it; my wife can change to “CD” input and play her 10 CDs on rotation.
I’m sure it’s also saving me a fortune no longer having 4 toroidal power supplies permanently sucking electricity, as well as being greener.

1 Like

What speakers you using with it?

Sound does not radiate only in the forward direction. Much of the mid range sound will hit your books causing secondary reflections. The result will be less of a speaker disappearing act and poorer stereo imaging.

Shahinian Compass