Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

In a corner by a Quad EL57:

And behind the home cinema setup with a ROCK NUC on the left:

I promised myself I would keep things tidy when I set this lot up somehow it never happened.

3 Likes

Finally got the electrician to finish the ethernet cabling in our house. I asked him what cables he used and he specifically said Cat7a ethernet cable. He had problems in getting the ethernet sockets properly wired. Finally, after the third attempt, everything is up and running perfectly well. So that’s finally set! See a sketch of the cabling below.

I also replaced my old marble table with a Milan three-shelf rack. As a matter of fact, the Devialet would perfectly suffice. There’s, however, still a Denon CD player in the shelf. This is for the digitally less advanced who still need a CD for audio to work :grinning:

Also I keep my Aurender as a backup. I’ll be running an intensive trial phase. If the network holds up, the I might just as well replace it with a Nucleus. Perhaps!

In addition, I replaced the stands for the ATC SCM 19s with slender stands that rest on floor protectors. I really, really enjoy the SCM 19s!

6 Likes

“Reunited, and it feels so good
Reunited 'cause we understood
There’s one perfect fit
And, sugar, this one is it
We both are so excited 'cause we’re reunited, hey, hey”

17 Likes

“serious”

Re-purposed Dell Laptop>Gustard U12>Keces DA 131>Onkyo 686>BA 100s

“Everyday”

CCA>Onkyo 686 (AK4458)> various Chromecast enabled speakers throughout the house

Server:Win10 workstation>Google Wifi (All roon components on LAN)

Remotes: Fire 8HD w/dock in living roon, CRD on various Chromebooks/boxes, Roon Remote on Laptop to feed the “serious” chain

1 Like

Hi @Grump!
Congrats on your new speakers! Everything looks really great!

1 Like

Very nice! I’ve just put my Aurender on eBay :wink:

spent a weekend re-running every wire to get it tidied up…was successful until i reached the halfway point and then it all went south lol. I have some ideas but will likely just build a box to hide everything.

3 Likes

They are speaker isolation platforms and I can’t for the life of me remember the now defunct company who made them.

As you can see, the chassis spiked to the floor and the platform is spiked to the main chassis.
I am thinking of getting marble for the platform as opposed to the MDF there now .

Being relatively new to Roon, I still need a ‚safety net‘ in the form of an Aurender :grinning:. Even though I don‘t expect it. If my network runs smoothly, alas, Aurender will have to find a new home.

I am still debating how to replace it: with a Nucleus or a Mac Mini. I am surprised how well the setup sounds, despite coming straight of a MacBook Pro.

1 Like

10 points for me :grinning::

2 Likes

Thanks @HWZ, they sound great too! :blush:

And thanks again for converting me from tubes to DSP, @RBM :slight_smile:

Of course, this means my little tube amp and my disproportionately big Klipsch Heresy II’s moved to my study room. My wife and daughter think it looks ridiculous. Which, of course, it does. But then again, it suits me :wink: Sounds great too! (Please ignore the paint and the mess, it’s work in progress, but, for now, not a top priority).

4 Likes

Congrats, Dick! I don’t own the song or album, so couldn’t share it, but it immediately came to mind :wink:

Roon still on a HP laptop, but at the end of the year an Intel Nuc8i3.

Raspberry 3b+ and Allo Digione via coax s/pdif to an IFI iDSD black label.
Audio Analogue Puccini SE
Nordost Blue Heaven throughout.
Diapason Ares

Bit old an a bit new, but sound great.

7 Likes

Have an Intel NUC i7 running Roon Core, in my office.
In-home network is Cat6 cabling to a pair of 5 port Gig switches. One is located in the living room where my main system resides, the other is in the family room. Everything homes back to a wireless router in my 2nd floor office. Nothing really different from the norm.

Main system pictured is:
Paradigm speakers Studio 100 Reference
Sim Audio Moon power amp
Spectral Pre-Amp
PS Audio Directstream DAC w/Bridge II
PS Audio Directstream Memory Player
Micro Seiki Turntable, Tonearm
Mac Mini, Apple keyboard and touchpad, Dell monitor

Family room:
KEF speakers on floor stands, Polk Subwoofer
Onkyo RZ810 surround receiver

Use iPad 6th gen for remote control, mostly.

3 Likes

@Cees_Vreugdenhil where do you get the weights from? And do you notice much of an impact from them sonically or are they just to hold small items in place?

What is that on top of your RPi?

1 Like

John Darko uses these too…it dawned on me saw it what it was…cheap and cheerful door stoppers…my parents have on at their front door in Australia…

Now they will be hard to buy or more expensive…sigh. I use stainless steel blasting shot for cleaning metals (industrial) weighs a ton for its size and cheap as I have an industrial source that’s free :stuck_out_tongue: and it doest runt…use on my turntable cover in a plastic ice cream tub

I daren’t even photograph my Rats Nest in case I disturb something

Everything hides in a drawer oh the hifi cabinet suitably ventilated, Massive Brownie points for WAF

Still can’t easily hide the HDMI cable to the TV , paint it

1 Like