Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

I couldn’t agree more.
I find the miniDSP setup slightly more “precise”, where every curve is carefully controlled. However, I find the ASP more “natural” and more pleasing to my ears. Interestingly, I’ve played with a lot of different filters and settings on HQPlayer for DSD transformations. With the miniDSP, I could not hear the difference between them many times, while on ASP, you can hear everything. I wouldn’t go back myself, but I know I’m splitting hairs. I’d gladly have an LX521.4 system with miniDSP instead of a traditional setup any day.

Dealer showroom only, I’m afraid – so limited experience. And it’s a bit hard to compare given the little Reactors don’t yet play in a stereo setup.

Comparing one-on-one, the Reactor seems to lack a bit of presence overall – and as @dabassgoesboomboom says are less convincing down below. Where the Gold sometimes touches on offering a bit too much of the good stuff, the Reactor felt a bit empty sometimes. Most of this could be related more to listening to just one speaker compared to playing in stereo than to the Reactor itself though.

I’m using the Golds in my 15x5m living room, but I can image that in a smaller room (say 4x6), the Reactor could just as good or even better suited.

It sounds a bit like when a friend of mine got the Apple HomePod and proudly demoed it to me. Ofcourse the Phantoms are in a completely different league, so this is just an example. But with the HomePod I had to bite my lip not to say I was massively unimpressed. I ended up saying that I missed the stereo effect. So later he got another HomePod and paired the two and suddenly it sounded good, very much more live and “there”. Possibly the same kind of positive effect with having two Reactors.

Yup. I did compare one Phantom vs. one Reactor for good measure – but a single speaker is not a great experience.

The difference between one and two Golds is huge – just like you describe with the Homepods.

1 Like

My morning “Bastelprojekt”! A Raspberry Pi, with 7" touch screen, a HiFiBerry AMP2, and RoPieee. It really does sound pretty impressive! And with a bit of filing it all fits into the standard 7" display case.

5 Likes

This is my Roon station, the speakers are Nubert - which many of you probably do not know. They are a german company that to my taste make great speakers, been a fan for a long time. In the middle there is a center speaker by Canton - which is only used for movies. At the top is a motor screen, which comes down for movie night (another hobby…)

18 Likes

@rovinggecko @Ramiro_Salas I too have (all 4 of) SL’s last designs, my Orion’s are 2nd hand and built by Wood Artistry, but the Pluto, LXmini and LX521 are all built by me.

I was at a small gathering the other week in Singapore with Frank of Magiclx521 who was in town and we we playing the lxmini with some of his demo tracks…stunning audio scene that these speakers can create. Frank’s Powerbox setups are a great solution…not cheap but worth it for sure.

1 Like

Hi - my first post here, lurking for some month, pretty new Roon subscriber. Here is a quick sketch of my headphone listening post.

6 Likes

Short update from my rig.

Today i added the 7“ Touchdisplay from RPi.
Really cool to see whats running…

6 Likes

There are some really great line diagrams using grahic software to represent their HiFi connectivity, can anyone share what it is that they are using?

Draw.io is a simple but pretty good one (that I used above), works online, maybe best with Chrome. Powerpoint, Visio, OmniGraffle, Sparx EA - works all great.

2 Likes

As a Mac user, I typically use Omnigraffle for all my diagramming needs. Recently, however, my company started to use RealTimeBoard and I’m loving it for almost any kind of diagram, particularly when you want to collaborate with other people. For Windows, there is always Visio.

Apple Keynote

My favorite.

+--------------+          +--------------+          +---------------+
|              |          |              |          |               |
|     Core     |          |    Router    |   WiFi   |    RPi 3 B+   |
|              +---------->              +---------->    RoPieee    |
+--------------+          +--------------+          +-------+-------+
                                                            |
                                                            | USB
                                                            |
+-------------------+       +----------------+      +-------v-------+
|                   |       |                |      |               |
|    Cambridge      |       |     Onkyo      |      | Mytek Liberty |
|    Soundworks     <-------+    TX-8050     <------+               |
|    Ensemble II    |       |                |      |               |
+-------------------+       +----------------+      +---------------+
12 Likes

You could try a projector, especially if you don’t watch a lot, as the rest of the time it’d look like wall. And when you do watch, nothing beats a good projector :sunglasses:

Did you retire 5200SE in favour of phantoms? How are you finding them in comparison?

Thank you guys. So before I look at any of these individually, are they capable of image import, thus representing the components of the setup I have?

I use Paint.NET, free and fairly easy to use (like a Photoshop light).

1 Like

Finally got around to putting everything in a diagram.

Audio%20Diagram

10 Likes

I have a Roon Nucleus for trial from my local dealer. It looks nice, but what is more important, it beats my Mac Mini hands down! I guess I’ll keep the Nucleus, there’s no going back once you heard the sound of a Nucleus. It also beats my previous Aurender N100H in terms of clarity and detail. Wow, what a revelation!!
I need to do something about bundling the cables in a reasonable way.

IMG_0798

7 Likes

Is it connected it via USB?