Showing (off) your Roon setup - description and photos [2015-04 .. 2021-03]

There has been some changes in my system, so some new photos:

IMG_2766 IMG_2765 IMG_2763 IMG_2764

22 Likes

Yes. As far as I know, there’s no other way to connect the Nucleus: Ethernet in, USB out.
I am using a Van den Hul USB Ultimate. I also have an Audioquest Diamond USB cable, but I like the Van den Hul better, it is a little bit mor revealing.

You can also use Devialet/Roon AIR with it too, as with the Mac mini. I’m interested if you hear a big difference between AIR and USB with the Nucleus.

Part one: secondary audio systems

IMG_0554

This is in my garage - Squeezebox Classic (via wi-fi) with analog output to a JVC compact system (with a very inexpensive subwoofer)

IMG_0550

The above is in the guest bedroom - Squeezebox Receiver with analog output to Sony mini system

IMG_0559

The above is in the secondary TV/computer room - Squeezebox Classic with digital output into Sony soundbar with subwoofer

4 Likes

Part two - main audio systems

IMG_0549

The above is the bedroom system - Squeezebox Touch with digital output to Pro-ject Pre Box S2 Digital with headphone jack and analog output to Audio Refinement integrated amp to Energy Veritas 2.0 speakers (not shown)

IMG_0551

Above is the Home Theatersystem - Squeezebox Touch with digital output to Marantz Home Theater Receiver to Energy Veritas 2.1 speakers & Linn subwoofer

This system also has two other Roon endpoints - a Google Chromecast (which works great and provides a nice and large “Now Playing” screen on the TV) and the Marantz HTR is an AirPlay endpoint.

IMG_0555
IMG_0556

The above two photos show the Computer Room system - Squeezebox Touch with digital output to Headroom Desktop amp with built-in DAC with analog output to Aragon 4004 power amp to Energy Veritas 2.1 speakers & Energy subwoofer.

IMG_0548
IMG_0558

And finally these last two photos show the Living Room (main music room) system - Squeezebox Transporter analog output to SimAudio preamp to SimAudio power amp to Vandersteen 3A Signatures & Vandersteen subwoofer. And there is also a shelf mounted Linn LP-12 for full analog playback featuring easy to read album liner notes. The second photo shows the view from my listening chair aka the sweet spot.

11 Likes

Didn’t know that! I’ll try and let you know when Igel AIR running with Nucleus.

Wowser! That really is a packed house.

A few things have lead to this situation. First I have been living in this house for over 30 years. Second I tend not to sell or otherwise dispose of old audio equipment and the equipment that I don’t just give away to friends and family I try to reuse. So the JVC system in the garage was once in my office but then I retired so no more office. The Sony mini system was once my bedroom system. The Aragon power amp was once in my main system before being replaced by the Sim Audio amp. The second TV was once my main TV. You get the idea.

And the various Squeezeboxen are because I kept upgrading these as well. First there were the Classics replaced by the Touches and Transporter. One of the many great things about a whole house streaming system is that one has access to one’s entire music library in each and every location without having to move LPs and CDs from room to room. Being a music junky I just love it!

1 Like

I mostly turn up the main system to get Whole House (well only sometimes :wink: )

I use that approach whenever I am exercising down in the computer room, which doubles as the fitness center since I have a spin bike, a NordicTrack and a Concept2 rowing machine squeezed into the room along with a few compters. I like the music very loud while I am exercising.

New headphone station for horizontal use. :sunglasses:

• Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+ powered by RoPieee
  • Audioquest Pearl USB
  • Meridian Explorer²
  • MrSpeakers ETHER C Flow

4 Likes

Thanks for the tip. Have tried it, it works great.

Edit: Now all components should be complete.

8 Likes

Love those ghettoblasters!

2 Likes

The pictures are not close to true. My ghettoblasters are old. One is a portable radio, the other a JVC combo about 25 years old. The portable radio has a non working cassette deck, about 30 years old. The side-attached speakers have melted, we have had burning candles on it. The knops are seized and can not be turned anymore. You can only receive one radio station. But thanks to Roon, it can be more than ever now. I hear it every morning in the shower :sunglasses:

2 Likes

So please take a new picture of your custom combination ghettoblaster/candle holder and post it. Thanks!

1 Like

Do my eyes spy a whole bundle of Mosaic sets on those shelves? Good stuff.

So it’s Mosaic box sets you want, eh?

Some of the Mosaics are LPs and a few are CDs. Note the Bill Evans box set (vinyl, won from WBGO-FM about 33 years ago) and the Time-Life collections, which are all quite good and feature very good sound and extensive liner notes.

2 Likes

Yes indeed. Mostly CD boxes, but a few LP ones too.

@RBM Amazing and neat setup! Thanks for sharing.

I own the same speakers with a Dialog box.

I use spdif in on the Dialog and another on one speaker to connect other systems:

• an old Acer Revo with spdif out for Roon
  • a SSB Audio Adicon for playing vinyls.

I see you have a TV so you have probably noticed the sound delay when playing movie/concerts. How did you overcome the delay that the SPDIF input has? (I should have probably asked this on the Devialet Chat :slight_smile:)

Thanks.

EDIT: Devialet’s website has some answers to my question above.

My bedroom music setup…

Topping PA3 Class D amplifier
http://en.tpdz.net/products_detail/productId=33.html

Topping DX3 Pro DAC + Headphones amp
http://en.tpdz.net/products_detail/productId=39.html

ZOTAC fanless PC loaded with ROCK

Audio-Technica MSR-7 headphones

Mission LX-2 speakers with stands

LPS200 Linear Power Supply for ROCK and DAC
Topping SMPS power supply for power amp.

Playback from NAS and streaming, affordable setup. Hi-Res, up to 384k PCM and DSD256.

7 Likes